Green Tractor Talk banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
1025R, '30 Ford, '08 Range Rover Supercharged, '63 MGB, '92 300ZX twin turbo, '73 Courier 2.3 turbo
520 Posts
I
All these blown seals. Are any of you connecting and/or disconnecting the single point coupler while the hydraulics are still under pressure? Tractor running, or shut off without cycling the loader lever?
I've had the single point system on my 1025R for about 2 years (300+ hrs) without any problems. I often change out the front loader, sometimes 3-4 times a day, and never shut down the engine, but I always let the 3 pt and the loader pressure off before connecting or disconnecting the single point.

Reactions: chex313

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
I often change out the front loader, sometimes 3-4 times a day, and never shut down the engine, but I always let the 3 pt and the loader pressure off before connecting or disconnecting the single point.
How do you relieve the pressure with the engine running?

·
Premium Member
1026R. Grand Cherokee, Sante Fe Sport
1,468 Posts
I

I've had the single point system on my 1025R for about 2 years (300+ hrs) without any problems. I often change out the front loader, sometimes 3-4 times a day, and never shut down the engine, but I always let the 3 pt and the loader pressure off before connecting or disconnecting the single point.
This is happening with engine off and pressure relieved....at least the second time it happened to me...I had the engine off the first time also but had taken the SP off and on a dozen times with engine on prior to failure. These have bad seals in them.

·
Registered
'18 2038R & '00 445
10 Posts
@chex313

@MarkEagleUSA

Sneak peek !!

Going into test mode this weekend when I get a free moment to swap a coupler with a new seal to check pressures and leaks.
These are exact replicas of the blue seals... and we have part numbers :D

View attachment 810430
Matt,

I'm interested in these as well! I'll place an order ASAP! I lost one of the shoulder bolts and the halves jammed together damaging an O-ring. I ordered the replacement parts from a faster distributor, but thought it was the female coupling (unreplaceable o-ring) so ordered two (spare for next time) and the replacement bolt and just received after 16 weeks! Unfortunately it's this o-ring on the male coupling (why didn't i just order these at the same time is beyond me) that is the culprit and the distributor has a $100 min order!

If all your testing fails, I will gladly place a bulk order from faster for all of us that have issues and resell at cost, but faster gets a premium for their parts, believe me! I think your work will result in much better pricing, availability, and lead times.

So, just to add my research to the thread in case someone comes across looking for another part, I have confirmed with Faster the following part numbers for the Single Point Hydraulic Connector Kit for the 220 loader - BW16970:

Male Coupling: KIT2FNB3811/38S
Female Coupling: KIT3FNP3811/38S
Mobile and Fixed Plate Screws for handle: KIT VP4
Kit of 10 Polyurethane Seals: SK MF 38

I was able to order from Rubber & Gasket Company of America who are local to me, I would imagine they would ship as well. There is also a min order fee of $25 if the order is below $100

Faster USA Headquarters is also 15 min from me, and they were not able to help other then confirm part numbers and give me a list of distributors. I tried to become a distributor for the compact tractor world, but they weren't interested.

·
Registered
2015 1025R
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
So far so good on the testing. I know it isn't much, but I put on another 8hrs this week with the loader.
Since I have the spare bottom half that was purchased for coupler replacements, I'm planning on pulling the blue seals out of them and replacing with the new ones.
I'll be swapping out the bottom half to help accelerate the testing process, as well as, new seals in all couplers testing.

For anyone that needs a replacement seal in the interim as I go through this process please DM me, I'll help out.
In parallel, I've been working on a way that you'll be able to access these seals once PT#'s are released to the public.

🍺

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
I've been working on a way that you'll be able to access these seals once PT#'s are released to the public.
I just want a supply of replacement seals so that I don't have to endure any significant downtime. It's great that you're working on this but as I've said before, Deere needs to step up and make these available themselves.

·
Registered
'18 2038R & '00 445
10 Posts
So far so good on the testing. I know it isn't much, but I put on another 8hrs this week with the loader.
Since I have the spare bottom half that was purchased for coupler replacements, I'm planning on pulling the blue seals out of them and replacing with the new ones.
I'll be swapping out the bottom half to help accelerate the testing process, as well as, new seals in all couplers testing.

For anyone that needs a replacement seal in the interim as I go through this process please DM me, I'll help out.
In parallel, I've been working on a way that you'll be able to access these seals once PT#'s are released to the public.

🍺
Matt,

Unfortunately I just joined this board to participate in this thread and have not unlocked the ability to DM yet! (I tried!). Could you DM me with the details? Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a 5085M with the H260 loader and Faster quick connects both for the loader and 3rd function (grapple). One of the female O-rings is shot:

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

I see the couple on the H260 parts catalog:

Font Parallel Auto part Diagram Line art

Green Rectangle Parallel Font Screenshot

Its about $80 from GPS. If I can just replace the O-ring, I'd much rather do that. Since these are 3/8" connectors as opposed to 1/4", I'm not sure how to track down the part number for the O-ring I need.

@Matt_Attach I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
2015 1025R
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
PM received and replied to @crazydane - I hope my reply helps.

For everyone else who may be looking for results - I'm now on 46hrs and heading into revision 4.
The HP urethane is the direction the engineering group and myself are heading for the flexibility/durability to hopefully eliminate replacement failures. (no guarantee obviously)

I've actually recreated the failure on revision 1 and came to the conclusion the male has too sharp of edges when coupling past the inner diameter of the seal for it to compress vs seal measurements.
Of course, in saying that - I'm not willing to compromise on modifying the chamfer on the male coupler to test this theory.
Revision 2 and moving forward - I increased the inner diameter of the seal, but attempting to find the sweet spot to prevent failure of the seal both in damage or leak by.

Below are the "coles notes" version of what I've been going through.

Problem statement:
Seal failure on female coupling - Torn seal on inner diameter in a small chunk or rip.
Unable to find replacement part number seal from dealer or parts book.
The seal is deemed as a replacement item - therefore no changes to be made to the mechanical components.

Improvement Opportunity:
Review damaged seal with a seal manufacture to determine a good direction by using their experiences.
Determine durometer of material along with measurements and advise material to improve performance.

Identify Change:
Material selection - Change to HP Urethane to improve durability without jeopardizing seal function.
Reason for material selection: Improved seal technology and use in environment.
Incremental measurement changes to prevent shearing of material from the male coupler during compression.

Analyze/Validate:

Revision 0
- OEM

Revision 1 - Replica of OEM seal measurement by using coupler and seal to measure.
Results: Coupling too tight with HP urethane material selection - Unable to couple - Recreated seal failure

Gas Fluid Audio equipment Motor vehicle Circle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Rim

Revision 2 - Dimension changes to improve fit
Results: Coupling too loose with HP urethane - Hydraulic leak when not coupled

No Photo's - Just a mess

Revision 3 - Dimension changes to improve fit
Results: Coupling fitment good (engage and release) - small hydraulic leak when not coupled at full throttle "wet surface only" when using LV - No leak when coupled
Happy with these results and currently in use for 46hrs with multiple connect and disconnects in winter conditions.
Picture below is only 1 coupler installed at the time - All 4 couplers are now using revision 3.

Light Camera lens Automotive lighting Lens Cameras & optics

Revision 4 - Dimension changes to improve fit
Results: Pending delivery from manufacture. Looking to eliminate "wet surface" results without jeopardizing engage and release function or seal damage.

The seal manufacture has been great to deal with - and sent me revision 3 as good-will because they feel they miscalculated revision 2.
I know it may seem like this is taking forever to get through, but I'm also being patient by allowing these seals move through the different seasons (temperatures) we all go through so we may see these variables. So far so good.
I should see revision 4 the week of May 2nd.
In the background, I've been taking installation photo's on how to replace these seals in the most effective way using common garage tools - because that's our reality.

Also I'm fitting this in between my full time job, other projects, being a father/husband and many family events over this past year - Without the need to mention pandemic fall outs.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Your timeline has been good...Thank you for the update Matt.(y) I decided to use my old mower, both because I have had a ton of brush and tree work, and to avoid using the SP. This is a common thing to do anyway with TLB, even if it is easy to drop the implements.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Following this thread with interest. My SPHC is getting harder to disconnect and reconnect. I noticed one seal bulging out and the connector "poppet" not returning to the flush position. I managed to get the seal back in place but found a small blue sliver of the seal stuck in the mating connector. I don't see any leaks so far, but I'm expecting that I'll need replacements soon.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Following this thread with interest. My SPHC is getting harder to disconnect and reconnect. I noticed one seal bulging out and the connector "poppet" not returning to the flush position. I managed to get the seal back in place but found a small blue sliver of the seal stuck in the mating connector. I don't see any leaks so far, but I'm expecting that I'll need replacements soon.
Keep an eye on it...Surprising it is not leaking. Hope its is still under warranty.

·
Registered
2015 1025R
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 · (Edited)
Well folks,
I believe we have the sweet spot in size.
I have cycled a full set of new seals - 150+ (on and off) while the tractor is turned off, and 150+ (on and off) while the tractor is at idle.
No leaks and no signs of premature wear so far - but will keep monitoring.
I plan to keep this set of (4) in the SPC "until" failure - if at all.

The focus:
1) Material change to improve durability while allowing industry experts to examine wear properties
2) Optimize size to prevent binding while connecting and no leakage.
3) The obvious.... field replacement in North America - which is the main point in all of this.

For a short time only (month of June 2022) - it's best that a few of these seals get out into users hands to install.
**Edit: Users who are down and out - So they may get back up and running, or users who are willing to swap seals to get mileage on them.
I can help through mail until we get something more permanent set up that you may buy direct.
Please DM me if you're interested - I'll help anyway I can....

Body jewelry Jewellery Circle Gas Magenta

I had (1) original seal in one of the couplers this past winter, and lo and behold - there is signs of wear. Check your couplers for signs of wear.
If you feel you are binding while coupling, don't force it.... pull back and Inspect your seals.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Circle Font

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Well folks,
I believe we have the sweet spot in size.
I have cycled a full set of new seals - 150+ (on and off) while the tractor is turned off, and 150+ (on and off) while the tractor is at idle.
No leaks and no signs of premature wear so far - but will keep monitoring.
I plan to keep this set of (4) in the SPC "until" failure - if at all.

The focus:
1) Material change to improve durability while allowing industry experts to examine wear properties
2) Optimize size to prevent binding while connecting and no leakage.
3) The obvious.... field replacement in North America - which is the main point in all of this.

For a short time only (month of June 2022) - it's best that a few of these seals get out into users hands to install.
**Edit: Users who are down and out - So they may get back up and running, or users who are willing to swap seals to get mileage on them.
I can help through mail until we get something more permanent set up that you may buy direct.
Please DM me if you're interested - I'll help anyway I can....

View attachment 844124

I had (1) original seal in one of the couplers this past winter, and lo and behold - there is signs of wear. Check your couplers for signs of wear.
If you feel you are binding while coupling, don't force it.... pull back and Inspect your seals.

View attachment 844123
Great news.

I have had good luck so far...Have been shutting down and cooling off before removing SP and by good luck I mean like 6 times. Been pressed for time so unless I have another failure I hope some other folks have time to test them for you.

Nice Job Matt. 🍺

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
I'm working directly with FASTER to get factory seals and replacement cartridges. We'll get them available through a dealer eventually.
Best news I've heard in a long time Tim! :cool:

·
Registered
2015 1025R
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
^^^ This would have been super convenient a year + ago lol.

Quick update:
4 users reached out to me this past week. Seals are now in transit to their homes.
This will help get some users out of a jam until there's a permanent purchasing solution in place...
Also a few users have raised their hand to get some mileage on them. Thanks fellas.

In the long run, we all prefer the OEM to step up with available in-stock North America supplied part numbers....
In the meantime, we have something in the works - GTT style - because that's what we do here.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I received 4 seals from @Matt_Attach and installed them yesterday. I did not disassemble the couplers; I just pushed the center of the coupler down while removing the old seals and installing the new ones.
Font Auto part Rim Circle Metal

Here are the tools that I used. I originally tried to push the center of the coupler down using the nylon pointed tool on the left, but I found that the tool was too wide and took up too much space inside the coupler to be able to maneuver the hooked pick. I ended up pushing on the coupler using the thin screwdriver on the right. I used the 90 degree pick to remove the old seal. Then I put a new seal over the screwdriver shaft, depressed the coupler,and pushed the seal down into the coupler with my fingers. Then I used the 45 degree hook to lift the seal back up and press it into the groove. Once the seal was in place, I released the center of the coupler and confirmed that it returned to its fully closed position.
Car alarm Liquid Fluid Font Gas

You will definitely need both hands and need to commit to holding the coupler open while the seal is in the coupler body, but not yet in its place in the groove. The first coupler took me 15 or 20 minutes to do, but I was working out what tools to use and a technique to get the seal in the right position. I did the last coupler in about 5 minutes. I didn't remove the loader but would have had more room to work and better all-around access if I had.

After I installed the first seal, I noticed what looks like a small nick or tear in it but it seems to be working fine with no leaks. I think I caught the seal with the sharp point of the pick during the install.
Green Motor vehicle Bicycle wheel Automotive tire Rim

When I was done, I connected and removed the SPHC about a dozen times. It worked smoothly and I didn't see any leaks. Thanks for developing these Matt!

·
Registered
2015 1025R
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 · (Edited)
:)

Let's get some mileage on these little guys lol
Keep us posted @MN_Pete - Thanks for the post and update.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts