Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m considering buying a single point ripper with a pipe laying attachment and was wondering if my 2025r had enough horsepower to use it effectively. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
How deep you want to go? I have a Rural King subsoiler, works fine behind my 2025. It does give it a workout though!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
If you hook a tree root you will be coming to a sudden stop. Based on my experience with my Heavy Hitch subsoiler on a 1025R. As said above, it is a workout for the little engine. I have clay subsoil and a lot of pine tree roots.

Next time for me I am renting a Ditch Witch.

·
Super Moderator
6,281 Posts
It all depends on your soil. I have the Tractor Supply subsoiler and it works. But if you are running into rocks or larger roots (anything bigger than 1.5") down 12'-24" it'll stop you cold. Clay is tougher than topsoil. If you have 24" of topsoil with no rocks/roots, you're probably fine.

If I was going to use it to lay pipe I'd run it once or twice along the path without the pipe to loosen things up and then run it dragging the pipe through.

Reactions: jdforever

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
No more than 24” deep
Line it up and make several passes going deeper each time. It took me multiple passes to get 12" to 15" deep using my 1025R. When I finally got to the desired depth, I then attached my pipe laying attachment.

Reactions: hosspuller

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
If I was going to use it to lay pipe I'd run it once or twice along the path without the pipe to loosen things up and then run it dragging the pipe through.
Agreed. You beat be to it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am new to subsoiler also, I have clay soil and I was surprised at some of the roots it made it through. I agree with everyone, I would do the subsoiler a couple of times down your path before dragging the pipe. Once you have the pipe in the ground you can't really back the tractor up, so you are stuck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts