Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Interesting closing wheel, usually see larger wheels on the drawn planters. Wonder if that planter had handles and was a hand pushed unit?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
A lot of the one row horse drawn planters was chain driven off the closing wheel and nothing up front except a plow point or two. The two bolts up front looks like it's a row unit off a two row planter though.

Found some history on the Deere Mansur company. Together started making planters in the 1870's and at some point the #9 planter became their bread and butter. Just based on what I read they were mainly building corn planters but what you have looks nothing like the picture I saw of corn planters. Apparently they started with wood boxes, then cast, then tin. Just guessing here but I think your planter will date past 1906 but I don't think it's a corn planter. I thought maybe it was an attachment to a planter for fertilizer application but that doesn't appear to be right either. Whatever it is you picked up, it's pretty cool. Is there a seed plate inside the bin? Maybe figuring out what size seed it was planting will yield a model and date for it.

·
Registered
12,226 Posts
I can remember selling parts for 919 and 999 planters, but this is older than they are. I'll be interested to see what you find out.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I :thumbup1gif:have no clue as to age but it is a cool find

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
:munch::lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts