Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent most of the day today clearing and leveling a site for a new tractor shed/pole barn.

Implements used:

D170 loader (standard bucket) on 4044m tractor
BB2072 Frontier Box Blade
Root Grapple

Here's the site (and my 5 ton) before I got started:

View attachment 46083

The first thing I did was use the root grapple to break up the top layer of soil. We've not had any rain here in my part of NC in nearly a month so this top layer is extremely hard and compacted.

View attachment 46081

After that, I leveled the box blade with the tractor perpendicular to the slope. This means that even though the tractor is on a slope (side hill) the BB will still cut level. I put the rippers in the lowest position and made passes until I established a baseline level.

View attachment 46089

I verified that the deck was level by placing a level on the bucket of the tractor. After confirming this, I re-leveled the box blade to the tractor. Then I started cutting for the proper depth for the whole building floor. A few things to note here. When using the box blade for this, make sure you start and finish well before and after your desired area. The reason for this is that the BB takes about 6-8' before it reaches full digging depth. Also, after a few passes when you start to run over your pile, you'll begin to pick the blade up earlier. If you don't leave enough room for lead-in/out your site will look like a bowl with high spots at each end. You can square this away with the bucket, but it's best to do it with the BB if you have room. Also, you'll need to haul your dirt away after a few passes so you can see what you're doing. A 6' box blade can move a LOT of dirt in a single pass.

Here's the site completed. It's hard to tell in this picture just how much dirt I moved, but I would estimate at least 2' deep on the high side.
image.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,091 Posts
Very nice, thanks for the detailed explanation. :good2: If I have a shop built I may do some of this. I have used my box blade and picked up much of what you've stated. . . . They work well. . . . bringing about fifty or so feet down 4 feet would be a little too much for my 1026R and me.
BTW- I am only able to see the last picture for some reason. :munch:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The links should work when you click on them to display the full size image. Not sure why the thumbnails aren't working, I attached the pics the same way for each image. The only thing is that I was automatically logged out before I could complete the post and the last image was posted after I logged back in (Thank You autosave!). Also, I was writing this post from my iPad. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I can try to repost just the images and see how that works.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice, thanks for the detailed explanation. :good2: If I have a shop built I may do some of this. I have used my box blade and picked up much of what you've stated. . . . They work well. . . . bringing about fifty or so feet down 4 feet would be a little too much for my 1026R and me.
BTW- I am only able to see the last picture for some reason. :munch:

Honestly, I don't think the issue would be moving the dirt (given enough time). I think the hard part would be trying to keep everything level using the smaller BB on your 1026. I try to post things that most people with tractor experience assumes everyone already knows (but really doesn't). Ask me how I learned about allowing enough room for lead-in/out and your area will look like a bowl.......:banghead:

·
Registered
967 Posts
I verified that the deck was level by placing a level on the bucket of the tractor. After confirming this, I re-leveled the box blade to the tractor. Then I started cutting for the proper depth for the whole building floor. A few things to note here. When using the box blade for this, make sure you start and finish well before and after your desired area. The reason for this is that the BB takes about 6-8' before it reaches full digging depth. Also, after a few passes when you start to run over your pile, you'll begin to pick the blade up earlier. If you don't leave enough room for lead-in/out your site will look like a bowl with high spots at each end. You can square this away with the bucket, but it's best to do it with the BB if you have room. Also, you'll need to haul your dirt away after a few passes so you can see what you're doing. A 6' box blade can move a LOT of dirt in a single pass.

Exactly!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I commend you for doing the work yourself. I hired mine out. My 2032r wasn't up to the task. I was glad when we hit rock that there was a 10,000 lb track steer there to deal with it because there was a bunch.

I like the pics, you've got a good start there. Are you building it yourself, or having it built?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I commend you for doing the work yourself. I hired mine out. My 2032r wasn't up to the task. I was glad when we hit rock that there was a 10,000 lb track steer there to deal with it because there was a bunch.

I like the pics, you've got a good start there. Are you building it yourself, or having it built?
Thank you for the commendment. I was holding my breath doing this hoping that I wouldn't hit rock. There were some fairly good sized ones that I dug up (about football sized) but nothing impossible like you had to deal with.

Re building, I'm having it built. I'm not much of a carpenter so I'm afraid that if I did it myself the only thing square and level would be the ground I cleared!! I did miss a good excuse to buy a PTO auger though:oops:

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Thank you for the commendment. I was holding my breath doing this hoping that I wouldn't hit rock. There were some fairly good sized ones that I dug up (about football sized) but nothing impossible like you had to deal with.

Re building, I'm having it built. I'm not much of a carpenter so I'm afraid that if I did it myself the only thing square and level would be the ground I cleared!! I did miss a good excuse to buy a PTO auger though:oops:
I bought an auger to drill the holes for mine, then found out I had all of the rock., so I poured a pad and am stick building. I still use the ager all of the time. You can't put a shovel in the ground without hitting rock and roots around here, so it's already paid for itself by me not having to manually plant all of those shrubs. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts