Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My home sits on 5 acres of old pasture land/hay field. About 1-11/2 acres are lawn, the rest is 2-3 foot high weeds. The soil is very rocky, but level. I mow with a JD 150, but, it is to small for the rest. I would like to run a brush hog, box grader, mow grass and break ground for a garden. I would also like a FEL, and the ability to add a back hoe.I am looking at a 1025R, but, I am not sure if it is big enough. I have read post about the 1025R, not being high enough to run a post hole auger, which could be a problem.The 2 series is nice, but, cost more and may be more then I need. I have never run a tractor before, other then a lawn tractor(mower).Any suggestions?:question::question:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
:gtfam:

I'm sorry, but I have no knowledge about the abilities of the tractors you are asking about. But a lot of good family members here will help, I'm sure!

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Administrator
20,917 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

Have you driven any of these tractors or talked to the dealer? What did they recommend?

I've had a 1 series. I now own a 2 series and I'm on 2 acres. That being said I take care of 4 plus multiple neighborhood driveways and other chores. I found the 1 series to a really comfortable and capable tractor, but it fell short in a couple of categories for me. I needed/wanted more loader capacity and speed. Larger tires offered a much better ride and traction along with better hillside stability. The 2 series doesn't have some of the fancy features the 1 series does, but in the end the only feature I really missed was the suspension seat.

Another tractor you may want to look at are the 3032E and 3038E. They are considered an "economy" tractor, but have some nice features all while not much bigger than the 2 series. They have available permanently attached loaders and no mid PTO, so no belly mower. They also don't have a backhoe option. But they are really affordable.

A ton of different variables at play here...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not driven either tractor. I do hear that the 1025 rides rough, but, I am not at that stage yet. I will look at the 3 series, as I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just a good machine that I can keep for a long time, without wishing for more. Do you find the non- removable FEL to be a problem when doing other things? Do you have any experience with a tow behind finish mower? How are they to use vs. a belly mower?

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
:wgtt:

Welcome to another mid-Hudson Valley New Yorker, from across the river (Pleasant Valley).

I've had a 1026R with backhoe, for over 2 years and live on 1.5 acres. It's a very capable tractor and as others agree, it will do a lot for its size, just maybe a little bit slower than a 2 or 3 series. I tried to justify a 2 series, but really didn't need the larger size, and would not be as maneuverable with the small garden plots we have in our yard.

If I had a few more acres, or more desire to work the woods I have now, I could easily justify a slightly larger tractor. It all depends on what you intend to do, but as most would agree, go at least 1 size larger than what you think you need. You may be thankful for the extra power for a future project you haven't even thought of yet.

Good Luck and welcome.

Reactions: Max

·
Premium Member
9,852 Posts
I have not driven either tractor. I do hear that the 1025 rides rough, but, I am not at that stage yet. I will look at the 3 series, as I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just a good machine that I can keep for a long time, without wishing for more. Do you find the non- removable FEL to be a problem when doing other things? Do you have any experience with a tow behind finish mower? How are they to use vs. a belly mower?
I have a rear mount finish mower, 60". I used it on my 2305 (the prior 1 series) and it handled it very well. I am using the same mower on my MCUT that I have now.

They take a bit to get used to going around obsticles, but this is something that you get used to. If you have alot of obsticles....a rear mount would not be my first choice. In a open area they are fantastic.

No matter what series or size tractor, they attach the same way. Not a drive over auto connect, you'll have to get off the tractor, but you don't have the associated setup issues either. When they are off, they are on wheels so they are pretty easy to move as well. They ride on four wheels, and the cut the same on level or hillside. They are also very easy to clean. Raise it up, put a jackstand under it, and your good to scrap or spray as you wish. Blade changes are just a simple.

Everytime someone posts a question about their mid mount mower, I go give mine a extra shot of grease and just grin. Should I ever have an area to mow that would be difficult with a rear mount, I'll get a zero-turn.

For a 1 series I would recommend a 60" deck, for a 2 series you can go with a 72" if you want. You'll want the deck a bit wider that the wheel width.

For the most part, they are also less expensive than the manufacturers mid mount deck and ancillary equipment that goes with them.

Reactions: farmgirl19 and Max

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know anything about the 3005? I see it on the JD site, but, no one seems to mention it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:wgtt:

Welcome to another mid-Hudson Valley New Yorker, from across the river (Pleasant Valley).

I've had a 1026R with backhoe, for over 2 years and live on 1.5 acres. It's a very capable tractor and as others agree, it will do a lot for its size, just maybe a little bit slower than a 2 or 3 series. I tried to justify a 2 series, but really didn't need the larger size, and would not be as maneuverable with the small garden plots we have in our yard.

If I had a few more acres, or more desire to work the woods I have now, I could easily justify a slightly larger tractor. It all depends on what you intend to do, but as most would agree, go at least 1 size larger than what you think you need. You may be thankful for the extra power for a future project you haven't even thought of yet.

Good Luck and welcome.
It's that justifying a larger one, that is driving me crazy. I think the 1025R would do me well, however, I don't want to wish I had more in a month or two

·
Premium Member
9,852 Posts
Do you know anything about the 3005? I see it on the JD site, but, no one seems to mention it.
The 3005 is a great tractor. Same as the 3032E/3038E in that it doesn't have a mid pto and it has a fix loader. Biggest different is it is a geared tractor, not a hydrostatic. I believe that last year was its last year offered. There are still some out there and if you don't mind a geared transmission, they are great tractors, and it will last you a life time and then some. Your grandson will have a blast with it if diesel is still available then....

5 acres is a good bit of land to play with.

For many reasons already stated and considering my personal experience as well, I would recommend the 2 series as the minimum.

Reactions: farmgirl19

·
Registered
321 Posts
you can get alot of useful info on different models at this site. To make comparisons I open in different windows to go from one model to the other. Just click on the model number and look at the info given.

TractorData.com - John Deere tractors sorted by model

·
Registered
396 Posts
FWIW... I had nearly 12 acres and maintain it with a 2025R. I wanted a "one tool for everything" kinda tractor and this fits my current situation quite well.

With that, I also know I will need a larger tractor in time with the plans I have, but would be getting a dedicated lawn mower at that point too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,947 Posts
Welcome to GTT Max.

As others have suggested, look at a 2000 or 3000 series tractor for your 5-acres. Personally I wouldn't have a fixed loader as they make doing maintenance more of a chore as you have to climb around them to get at stuff. I remove mine when I do 200-hour services. Some guys remove them when doing mowing for extra maneuverability. Other guys just remove the bucket when mowing.

Do you intend to do snow removal with the tractor? If so, you may want to bite the bullet and spend the big bucks and get a cabbed 3000 tractor. To me there is nothing more miserable than working on an open station tractor in the winter. Another advantage of a cab is keeping dust and hornets at bay while mowing, and not getting a face full of dust and dirt when doing loader work downwind of the bucket, which sometimes you have no choice but to do it that way.

I know it's easy for me to spend your money; but look at this as a looooooooooong term purchase. I have no idea how old you are either; but factor that into the equation. What sounds acceptable now may not in 10-years. Also, if you can afford to get what you really want, do it as financial circumstances could always take a turn for the worse in the future.

Oh, by the way, we like pictures!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,875 Posts
I would say (cause I can:lol:) 2xxx Series.
Take a drive up to my place (38 miles) and we can talk about it over a beer, you bring the beer (light beer).:lol:
BTW, did anyone mention we like pictures?:wink:

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I am maintaining 5.5 acres with my 1025. I have 5 acres that is grass and then lots of little chores. The 1025 is suiting the bill just fine. Are there times I wish I had a bigger tractor? Of course, but when I had my 4410 there were times I wish I had a bigger tractor, that is just nature of the beast.

In all honesty I have thought about a 2 series for quicker more powerful hydraulics but if I will stop and look at what I have done over the past 125 hours with the one series, what I have accomplished, I really don't need a 2 series. Sure it would be nice but for the same setup, they are half again as much if I got it how I want it.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,875 Posts
I am maintaining 5.5 acres with my 1025. I have 5 acres that is grass and then lots of little chores. The 1025 is suiting the bill just fine. Are there times I wish I had a bigger tractor? Of course, but when I had my 4410 there were times I wish I had a bigger tractor, that is just nature of the beast.

In all honesty I have thought about a 2 series for quicker more powerful hydraulics but if I will stop and look at what I have done over the past 125 hours with the one series, what I have accomplished, I really don't need a 2 series. Sure it would be nice but for the same setup, they are half again as much if I got it how I want it.
For me there have been more times that I was glad I had a smaller tractor than the times I wished I had a larger tractor. However, I'd still get a 2xxxx series. And lets face it, the 2xxx series isn't a large tractor.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
For me there have been more times that I was glad I had a smaller tractor than the times I wished I had a larger tractor. However, I'd still get a 2xxxx series. And lets face it, the 2xxx series isn't a large tractor.
True, the 2 series is not large by any means. I've seriously considered it even after the fact but not sure I could go from the auto connect to a non-auto connect deck...it's just soooo easy

·
Registered
709 Posts
I think it all boils down to what are your actual usage plans for the tractor on the land and how many obstacles and tight areas do you have? I have larger tractors, which are non JD, and my JD 1025. I use the 1025 exclusively at my home property which is just under 3 acres. I do not mow with it. I have a Craftsman rider still in great shape for the yard. I maintain my pasture, barn, landscaping chores, digging and other odd tasks with the 1025.

I like the small size to get in and out of tight areas and I can work in my small barn with it. It is more useful to me at the home property than a larger tractor would be. I thought when I bought it, if I needed bigger I would bring one of our larger ones from our country acreage home for limited tasks. I have had the 1025 for a year now and not needed to bring a larger tractor home for anything. This is my favorite tractor out of the 5 we have. The little thing just works well for its size.

If your land is very open with little obstructions, the 2 or 3 series may work better for you.

:good2:

·
Administrator
20,917 Posts
True, the 2 series is not large by any means. I've seriously considered it even after the fact but not sure I could go from the auto connect to a non-auto connect deck...it's just soooo easy
The Auto-Connect is a great feature on the 1 series. Not a lot of room under the tractor to get your hands in places when the mower is on. On the 2 series, it's a non-issue. I originally thought it might, but no. I actually prefer the manual system they come with. Still no tools and only takes about a minute to install the mower. Super easy. :good2:

Read the thread I linked to earlier. I had the same doubts and had other members tell me the same thing I'm writing here. :hi:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts