Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2 skunks in the barn and having trouble getting rid of them. Tried to use tomcat poison but hasn't worked yet, although I think it killed some in my other barn. Bought a trap and haven't been successful yet, but I'm still trying. Just wondering if anyone has a better idea. I'm using cat food in the trap.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,424 Posts
Have 2 skunks in the barn and having trouble getting rid of them. Tried to use tomcat poison but hasn't worked yet, although I think it killed some in my other barn. Bought a trap and haven't been successful yet, but I'm still trying. Just wondering if anyone has a better idea. I'm using cat food in the trap.
Had a skunk problem around the house and in the tractor barn, asked my wife's cousin, a veterinarian, what to do.
He said sprinkle mothballs around, did the trick, haven't had any more trouble in years.

I mean it was bad, bad-bad when they would go under the house!!!!!!!
I keep 3 cans of mothballs , just in case the suckers come back.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Ahh . . . I had one under the house years ago. I was still working and on the road. Wife could hear the pitter-patter of little feet under our bedroom. Persistence, persistence . . . Hate those foul things. :rocket:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
All I can say is, Skunks are tough to deal with. Good luck.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,424 Posts
Just spread the mothballs around the outside edges of the barn where I know they travel?
Yup, that's exactly what I did.
Remember if it rains, you'll have to sprinkle some more.
The smell of mothballs is one heck of a lot better than skunk smell.
Once it chassed them away, they never came back.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My barn is 100x150 and they sell 1lb for 11.87 free shipping. How many lbs do you think I might need? Like one ball every foot or how do you do yours.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would probably spread them around the inside. I don't think the smell will be an issue for me. I have double walls and they get between them

·
Old Pa-pa
11,424 Posts
My barn is 100x150 and they sell 1lb for 11.87 free shipping. How many lbs do you think I might need? Like one ball every foot or how do you do yours.
Wow, my little tractor barn is no where near that size.
I just sprinkled out the can, maybe 2 to 5 a foot while walking, but I wasn't covering as much
area as you.
If you see a definite flattened path in the grass, lay it on closer together.

For under the front porch, where they would hang out sometimes, I just pitched them the best I could
from the side of the house.

I think my wife found them at WalMart, wasn't that expensive.

Cajun

·
Super Moderator
4,899 Posts
I'd look for better pricing than that. Lowes sells 14oz boxes for $4.18 each. Most hardware stores will carry them as well as places like the Dollar Stores.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
One of my friends said they like bananas. I've yet to try it, so I can't say either way but he's not one to make stuff up like that.

I'd extract and execute them in a safe spot, or just relocate to a state forest or nature preserve. They do eat small varmints, so they're not all bad. I had a couple at my place a few years back that'd come find me when I was out for a walk (numerous encounters day and night). I ended up nailing both of them in the fall while trapping. I'm not sure if they were rabid or just curious. Not an issue anymore. :laugh:

One set was a bucket with a 220 conibear that had marshmallows and corn, the other was a pan set with a chicken carcass and some pork fat trimmings (I was going for coyote).

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
If going for mothballs, you can usually pick them up at any grocery store, in the cleaning or laundry aisle.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
I once had a family of four little ones and a mother under my wood shed. At that time the wood shed was right next to the house so it was a big problem. I used my squirrel trap with a cut up hot dog for bait.

IMG_5233.jpg

Once I caught the first one I didn't know what to do. Do I shoot him in the cage and risk him spraying and then have to deal with the smell? Do I drown him in a rain barrel and risk him spraying while I pick up the cage, I don't think so. So instead I made a gas chamber. A light weight plywood box that would fit over the cage with a 4" outlet on one end. I positioned the trap in a location that I would be able to lower the gas chamber over it from the roof with ropes. Then I hooked up a hose from my old Ford to the outlet on the box. I let the vehicle run for about 5 or 10 minutes. Lifted the box from the roof top, just in case. When there was no movement, and I really confirmed no movement, then I took the poor critter out to the woods and released him to the coyotes.

I caught the four little ones one each day, then it took about 3 or 4 days for the mother to get caught. She took about 15 or 20 minutes in the gas chamber to expire.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Watch the Dartman and the neighbor shed video.. It's about skunks, Jer turned me on to those two guys.. Shed down! Even though I am tempted to comment on the smell of moth balls, I will not.. you've all heard the joke I am sure! :laugh:

JT

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,204 Posts
I had one come by our patio. I let it go half way up the hill and got Henry out and, like they say, one shot-one kill. Left it for the next morning to deal with. Got up the next morning to get rid of it and it was gone. I put 2 shots into it to make sure it was dead. I don't know what took it but was glad I didn't have to deal with it. We have coyotes and birds of prey around here so I gave my thanks to whatever took it. :bigthumb:Just so everyone knows, it had turned around to come back to our house. That was not going to happen.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I once had a family of four little ones and a mother under my wood shed. At that time the wood shed was right next to the house so it was a big problem. I used my squirrel trap with a cut up hot dog for bait.

View attachment 45879

Once I caught the first one I didn't know what to do. Do I shoot him in the cage and risk him spraying and then have to deal with the smell? Do I drown him in a rain barrel and risk him spraying while I pick up the cage, I don't think so. So instead I made a gas chamber. A light weight plywood box that would fit over the cage with a 4" outlet on one end. I positioned the trap in a location that I would be able to lower the gas chamber over it from the roof with ropes. Then I hooked up a hose from my old Ford to the outlet on the box. I let the vehicle run for about 5 or 10 minutes. Lifted the box from the roof top, just in case. When there was no movement, and I really confirmed no movement, then I took the poor critter out to the woods and released him to the coyotes.

I caught the four little ones one each day, then it took about 3 or 4 days for the mother to get caught. She took about 15 or 20 minutes in the gas chamber to expire.
Nice Job!:thumbup1gif:

While I'm sure skunks have a purpose and do some good in the whole scheme of things at my place it's only bad. Trapping is great but how to dispose without becoming part of the stink. Sounds like you developed a process that works.:bigthumb:
They really rather dumb, come walking up our gravel road late in the evening. I've shot a few and left them to cook-off next to the road.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
They generally won't spray if they don't have a target. That's why the DNR and conservationist people always use a blanket to slowly walk up on the cages. Skunk's vision is terrible too, so if they're not right up on you, they probably can't make you out too well. They're extremely near sighted from what I've learned. Perfect for picking out grubs and worms from the soil in their reach, but not good for much else.

If we had them living near one of our structures, I'll be the first to pop them with a .22.

I put a half eaten, past it's prime, rotisserie chicken and 3 old banana's by the neighbor's lot line where they used to park their cars on my land (then I staked it off and they got pissy about me evicting them). Hopefully there's some skunks that decide it's a lovely place to hang out. :lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts