Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you own one? If so, do you like it and is it worth the money you paid for it?

They're really expensive, but if they alleviate back pain and allow good sleep, they may be worth it. Warranted for 25 years. Seems like a quality product, but I was hoping to hear from some current owners.

·
Premium Member
7,702 Posts
We had one, gone now, wife hated it. She even started sleeping on the couch to get away from it. Seemed like an over priced air mattress to me. :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Have had one now for about five years. Love it. We have one with a memory foam top. Something like the P7? I can't remember the model. Go to the store if there is one nearby you. They will show you the pressure points on your body depending on how you lay on the bed. This determined your sleep number. The higher the number the firmer. Something like 75% of people fall between 45-60. I always thought I liked a firm mattress. But I'm around 55-60. Everyone Ive ever talked to with the exception of one person has loved there's. I don't think they are that expensive vs a high end mattress when you consider the warranty and the fact that you have any mattress firmness you desire at the push of a button.
I also have back pain but I don't think any mattress will cure a degenerative disc and a pinched nerve.

·
Premium Member
14,716 Posts
Daughter and sil has had one for 7 yrs or more. We bought one a yr ago and yes very expensive. No store near by , so just going by what my daughter and sil was telling us. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't order the low legs. For me seems to close to the floor, but oh well. Like surveyor was saying I always liked a mid to firm mattress and thought I would like a 75-80 setting nope any where from 50-65 at most.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm rather disappointed with mine, I think if I had gotten the top of the line I would be happier but it was a couple grand more for it and I didn't think it would make that much difference, now I think I should have spent the extra. They are way overpriced, a very high markup.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
We have had three ourselves over the decades, and currently have an additional one in the guest room plus our own as well. The wife had a back/neck issue from a rear end collision back then and it really helped. The sleep quality is quite good for each of us and it is important to be able to set each side separately.

Now the downside...the early air pumps and hoses were a bit fragile -- and each time we moved (20+ years ago, and then again recently) the movers seemed to find a way to induce a micro-leak in each system. Since the design had been upgraded over the years, we went for replacements as the warranty was nearly gone on a 15+ year old unit (I think it is full replacement for 2 years, then pro-rated...)

We had a memory foam topped one for a time but when the movers broke it we went back to the less complex construction as it is lighter and a bit easier to change the bedding, etc.

Beds are very personal and different folks have different preferences and needs. Try one for their 90 night trial period and if you don't like it just return it...

Chuck

·
Registered
709 Posts
We have had ours for several years and my wife and I love it. I can adjust it depending on how my back is. I sleep much better on it than I have foe years on some other very expensive conventional mattresses. I could never understand why good conventional mattresses cost so much. I know the Sleep Number beds cost a lot. I do not believe the cost is that bad when compared to good quality conventional mattresses.

My normal sleep number is 70. I do go up or down from that depending on how my muscles and back are feeling. I do have a neurological problem which gives me pain and this adjustable bed has really helped me out. It is nice to be able to sleep again.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've had one (P6) for a little over a year know. Love it and hate it. My normal sleep number is 45. I sleep great on it. No coil spring mattress comes close (was on one last night and slept like crap). What I don't like is the casing isn't stiff enough to keep the two air chambers from moving apart, causing a depression/hole in the center. I've resorted to wrapping rope around the outside foam to try a keep them from moving but I don't think it really works that great.

As gimmo said, maybe a higher line would have been better but I don't like memory foam.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
I mainly sleep on my stomache and sides, and a extra firm mattress feels the most comfortable. Tried all the sleep number beds and I sprawl so the divider in the middle didnt work for me when my wife chooses a softer setting. That and the whole pump thing. Its just one more thing to break.

I really just couldn't do it, even if the prices were less than we paid for our King. I looked for 2 months at a dozen stores to find the heaviest guage highest coil count that felt complete. No pillowtop. No sweaty memory foam.

If I was a back sleeper, and I do hammock camp, I might think the sleep number bed would fit.

Pay no mind to the ramblings of this old fart

·
Premium Member
7,684 Posts
We love ours as my wife likes hers squishy soft, and I like mine firm. When my back blows out, I ramp it up close to maximum, and then back down to around 60 - 70 as I recall after my back recovers. We didn't get a top of the line model as the pillow top defeated the purpose of adjusting the bed's firmness when we tried them out in the store. Ours is a mid-grade model as I recall.

We haven't had a problem with the different air pressures causing a depression in the middle.

A few years back, a nearby lightning strike fried the pump and they had a new one out to us very quickly. The prorated price was acceptable especially since we got wireless remotes instead of wired remotes with the replacement pump.

As for price; yeah they are high; but that's because they really don't have any competition at this point in time.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
Good thread.
We toyed with the idea of a Sleep Number but went with Our 10 Inch Memory Foam Mattress -- All The Comfort of The Leading Mattress - At About 1/2 The Price years ago, no regrets.
If you ain't sleeping you aren't going to be worth a damn. Forget about cost, buy one that you like.
Wife and I came to grips with the fact that as we get older the once loved matters is not so good anymore even if we were to buy another new one.
If we have to buy a different mattress down the road..........so be it. We don't sleep as well now like we did 20 years ago and need every edge we can get.

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seems these beds are very polarizing. Either you love them or hate them. This is a tough choice. A lot of the complaints I've seen have been addressed by either Sleep Number or by the fact the models have changed. Some of the issues we know and acknowledge before we purchase, if we do. It's a huge stack of money for one of these things, I don't want to regret it. Only the mattress is returnable, the base isn't. I'm not fond of that idea.

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you aren't changing bed sizes, your existing box/base should work perfectly fine. Atleast unless you decide whether you like it or not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
I believe it is just the adjustable bases that are not able to be returned. We have a queen adjustable P5 and really like it. Have had it for about 3 years now. If you have a standard frame you can put plywood down under it and you'll be just fine. A box spring by itself doesn't really work with them, needs to be solid and flat under the mattress.

Jim

·
Registered
709 Posts
We are not using the base that came with our king size sleep number. I just got rid of ours this year after just having it in our garage several years. We have an adjustable frame bed which has plenty of support the the sleep number mattress.

I agree that people either love them or hate them. My parents did not like theirs which had leak issues. They returned it for a refund. That was over 10 years ago. We ordered ours about 5 years ago and love ours.

·
Premium Member
7,684 Posts
We have one on a platform bed that doesn't have a box spring; just closely placed slats and it works great. We have another one on a regular box spring and it works A-OK too.

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you haven't bought one yet , Gizmo told me the coin operated beds are comfy.��
I'm just not sure if I'm down with the hourly rate. Or is it in 10 minute blocks? :lol:

And yes, we broke down and ordered one. I'll report back my findings after we get it and have used it for a while. :good2:

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I had 1 long ago, it was terrible - like sleeping in a hammock. Went Tempurpedic and loved it. No we use an organic latex bed and it's better then the Tempurpedic. However I had my sleep# bed so long ago they must be better now then they were then. The great thing is the free TRIAL!!!!

To me mattresses are one of those things you just have to try.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts