Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time with my new mower and it’s gouging slightly when on a slight incline and sometimes when turning sharp, does anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it, this 54” isn’t that much bigger than my old 48” deck on my White garden tractor?

·
Registered
193 Posts
First time with my new mower and it’s gouging slightly when on a slight incline and sometimes when turning sharp, does anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it, this 54” isn’t that much bigger than my old 48” deck on my White garden tractor?
View attachment 787317
did you adjust everything properly? side to side and front to back? don’t trust your dealer did that for you.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
What grass height are you trying to mow at? And where do you have the gauge wheels (anti-scalping wheels) set? I'm seeing a slight downhill incline towards those piles of rocks in the picture with your mowing tracks across the incline, right? I don't see any gouges, which to me means digging into the earth, but maybe some scalping or shorter cut along one side of the mower/tractor path. When you are mowing, say left to right in the picture, is the scalping on the uphill side? And when mowing across the slope from right to left, is the cut better?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did you adjust everything properly? side to side and front to back? don’t trust your dealer did that for you.
No, I assumed that the dealer would have made sure that it was even.
I’ll measure it this morning.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What grass height are you trying to mow at? And where do you have the gauge wheels (anti-scalping wheels) set? I'm seeing a slight downhill incline towards those piles of rocks in the picture with your mowing tracks across the incline, right? I don't see any gouges, which to me means digging into the earth, but maybe some scalping or shorter cut along one side of the mower/tractor path. When you are mowing, say left to right in the picture, is the scalping on the uphill side? And when mowing across the slope from right to left, is the cut better?
I’m mowing at 3 but will move up to 3.5 and 4 as it gets drier and hotter, as for the scalping it seems to cut deeper on any downhill side, once I check to make sure the deck is for sure level I’ll also try extending the anti scalp wheels down one notch, but it will be awhile before I can try it out because we need rain for the grass to actually grow!

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Level the deck and make sure the deck wheels are adjust to 1/2" above the ground, not the grass.

·
Premium Member
2,188 Posts
The wheels need to be as low as they can go without touching the ground. What I'm seeing there is your gauge wheels being too high. Drop them all the way down to the ground and lift them up to the nearest locking point.

With the gauge wheels too high, it will butcher the hell out of your yard. These mower decks are so big, a little goes a long way when it comes to angles.

This is how my gauge wheels are set. This is for a 3.25" cut height. Note that the numbers on the height selector knob do not correspond to inches.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Yeah unfortunately I wouldn’t trust that from my experience. Get yourself one of these and follow your manual. it’s pretty easy and makes a difference.

Having the Deere brand part in yellow ( AM130907 ) is great, but the same gauge comes in other colors for other brands. I have seen them in blue (Stens) and black and red (Oregon). The Deere packaging adds to the price, of course. Stens also has one in metal for 3x the price of the Deere plastic one.

·
Premium Member
20,083 Posts
Having the Deere brand part in yellow ( AM130907 ) is great, but the same gauge comes in other colors for other brands. I have seen them in blue (Stens) and black and red (Oregon). The Deere packaging adds to the price, of course. Stens also has one in metal for 3x the price of the Deere plastic one.
Just did a quick check on Amazon , (usually avoid using them), JD leveling gauge was the cheapest

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,829 Posts
With the gauge wheels too high, it will butcher the hell out of your yard. These mower decks are so big, a little goes a long way when it comes to angles.
(y)

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Just did a quick check on Amazon , (usually avoid using them), JD leveling gauge was the cheapest
That is very interesting. I just did a similar Amazon search not 30 minutes ago, and the Stens was about $7, the Oregon $9, and the Deere $11.

They do target their searches to the specific user. Since I have a history of buying a lot of Deere parts from Amazon, they seem to hit me with Deere items first, and with higher prices. I guess the search tool hopes I will just buy the first listed more expensive item without spending time to look carefully. My search was for "mower height gauge." What was yours?

Sometimes when I do Amazon searches for a specific item by part number, the results are different when I am not logged on, and when I am.

And also very interesting, I just now did the same search again, logged in on a different computer, and the Deere gauge did not show up at all. The Stens and Oregon gauges were at the top, with over double the prices for them that Amazon gave me just an hour ago.

Is everyone else experiencing these weird and price-changing Amazon searches?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is very interesting. I just did a similar Amazon search not 30 minutes ago, and the Stens was about $7, the Oregon $9, and the Deere $11.

They do target their searches to the specific user. Since I have a history of buying a lot of Deere parts from Amazon, they seem to hit me with Deere items first, and with higher prices. I guess the search tool hopes I will just buy the first listed more expensive item without spending time to look carefully. My search was for "mower height gauge." What was yours?

Sometimes when I do Amazon searches for a specific item by part number, the results are different when I am not logged on, and when I am.

And also very interesting, I just now did the same search again, logged in on a different computer, and the Deere gauge did not show up at all. The Stens and Oregon gauges were at the top, with over double the prices for them that Amazon gave me just an hour ago.

Is everyone else experiencing these weird and price-changing Amazon searches?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,233 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.