Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught a screw in the back tire of my MCUT 10-16.5. Didn't notice it was flat and ran on it for awhile. Not really sure how long. Anyhow, I buggered up the tire seal and it's got a slow leak. I did get the screw out and the plug is holding good, but I'm bubbling just a little around the rim and it goes from 25# to flat in about 3 days. As long as I remember to check the tire I'm ok to run it, but it's popped off the rim a few times now and I'm getting tired of jacking it up and airing the tire up. I know a tube will fix my issue, but also a tube with a hole will lose air just as fast. I figured I would just put some slime in there and be done with it, but will the slime seal the rim or will it just stay on the perimeter of the tire?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,158 Posts
Tube, IMO.

Reactions: Marlin and Robnik

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Slime should work. I’ve used more than one plug to fix holes in tires. You could try putting another plug in.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The screw hole is sealed good. The issue is air leaking around the rim.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Don't matter either way

I caught a screw in the back tire of my MCUT 10-16.5. Didn't notice it was flat and ran on it for awhile. Not really sure how long. Anyhow, I buggered up the tire seal and it's got a slow leak. I did get the screw out and the plug is holding good, but I'm bubbling just a little around the rim and it goes from 25# to flat in about 3 days. As long as I remember to check the tire I'm ok to run it, but it's popped off the rim a few times now and I'm getting tired of jacking it up and airing the tire up. I know a tube will fix my issue, but also a tube with a hole will lose air just as fast. I figured I would just put some slime in there and be done with it, but will the slime seal the rim or will it just stay on the perimeter of the tire?
I bought my tractor with slime in the tires, all 4 and the n took it to have new tires the store about didn't work on it till I explained I had no idea it was filled with slime. I came to a quick decision not to use slime, MY THOUGHTS ONLY but it is messy and a lot of tire stores do not like dealing with it. MY Opinion only, Have at it either way, Ido tubes, $12 and don't deal with the questions and discontent from tire stores,

JUST ME,:banghead:

waltmart

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
Not sure what brand of "hydro-seal" was used on the 420 I had, but it eat holes in the rims over time. :banghead: I'll stick to tubes!

Also, it would probably take a large quantity to seal the bead!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
23,319 Posts
Why not a new tire?

Just had an issue with one of my front tires - just got a new pair as I don’t want to continuously mess with it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
If you want to risk it not working after spending time AND if you want to risk making a horrid mess that you will regret at some point in the future: slime. If you just want to fix it once permanently (or at least until you put another hole in the tire) a tube.

There is no downside to a tube.

Al

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Bead sealer works, so does seal and peel caulk. Tire stores aren't overly offended by bead sealer. A tube is still the better answer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not a new tire?

Just had an issue with one of my front tires - just got a new pair as I don’t want to continuously mess with it.
I am sufficiently obligated. :gizmo:

Reactions: Robnik

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tube.

I wouldn't put that green $h!t in something to sell to someone I hated.

You seem to be a little vague on this. Not really sure what you're saying.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol
:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I put slime in the tires of an atv that leaked at the beads. Small sticks and sand would get between the rim and tires. This was back in 97. I put new tires on it 2 years ago. The steel rims were fine. Was a bit of a mess to clean up. The inside or the rims looked like new. I put bead sealer on when I mounted the new tires. All 4 are holding air fine. But , if and when one develops a leak all 4 will get slime. I wouldn’t put slime in the tires of a highway vehicle, but think it’s great for off road tires.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I put slime in the tires of an atv that leaked at the beads. Small sticks and sand would get between the rim and tires. This was back in 97. I put new tires on it 2 years ago. The steel rims were fine. Was a bit of a mess to clean up. The inside or the rims looked like new. I put bead sealer on when I mounted the new tires. All 4 are holding air fine. But , if and when one develops a leak all 4 will get slime. I wouldn’t put slime in the tires of a highway vehicle, but think it’s great for off road tires.
I’ve had good luck using Slime...but when I look online, I find accounts of Slime eating holes right through aluminum wheels. So...I feel like steel wheels are ok to use it, just messy.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
John Deere has a product that I used on my X748 a few years back. It worked great. They claim it won’t corrode rims, they also have a concentrate formula for ballasted tires.
I figure they understand tractor tires better than slime, and the dealer can’t complain too much when he services the tires since they sold it to me!
I like to keep my tubeless tires tubeless!

·
Registered
141 Posts
How about Tireject? Not the cheapest stuff but says it is good for bead leaks in their website. OLF has a video on YouTube where they shoot a tire that has Tireject with buckshot - it sealed right up.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Did you try cleaning the bead? Aften after the bead pops and gets driven on dirt gets between the bead and the tire causing bead leaks. Often you don't have to remove the tire but just break the bead and get in there with a rag and some soapy water. Had this issues at work with a skid steer tire just two days ago. Cleaned the bead and all good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts