Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here been fed-up enough with cable tv program pricing to try this new system yet?
Five years ago, our first bill with TWC was like $89.00 for:
a. Cable
b. Phone
c. Internet
They've merged twice now in 5 years, and monthly bill is right at $150.00
Here's a website on Sling to check out, seems pretty in-line with what "I" thought it should be.
www.slingtv.com

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
I have considered getting the basic cable package for local channels & Sling for other channels, but Sling does not have the channels my wife & I watch most of the time.
Have you looked into Roku, Amazon FireTv, or other similar services. Those a lot of options also.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Oh yeah....I ditched cable about 2 years ago. I use a clearstream V2 over the air outside antenna. I get about 60 channels being that i'm in between Cincinnati, Dayton, and Columbus, Ohio. I also have Hulu and Netflix and Sling. We like sling because it's live TV being streamed. You can watch anything that has already aired in the hours previous, but have to wait for the upcoming stuff to watch it when it actually airs. I highly recommend any of these services to anyone wanting to cut the cord.

·
Registered
21,562 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
I should also add that I had nothing but issues with the Sling app on a Roku 3 (the top of the line model at the time). All other apps worked great, but Sling suffered buffering and lock up issues. All this, with the Roku 3 hardwired too.

The app worked great on iOS and Android.

I have a thread going about this although the title is deceiving. It has morphed into my going all streaming for my TV.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/computer-electronics/82649-tvs-hd-uhd-suhd-4k-oh-my.html

Sling TV has commercials - I have gone 100% commercial free using Netflix, Hulu, and CBS All Access. I have tons and tons of stuff to watch including current (new) programs for ~$32 per month - with no commercials!
I'll stick to my antenna and Tivo. It's paid off now after a few months without cable. :)

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
I should also add that I had nothing but issues with the Sling app on a Roku 3 (the top of the line model at the time). All other apps worked great, but Sling suffered buffering and lock up issues. All this, with the Roku 3 hardwired too.

The app worked great on iOS and Android.

I'll stick to my antenna and Tivo. It's paid off now after a few months without cable. :)
I would like to be able to use an antenna, but our house sets in a low area. The reception on most channels is awful. We have tried several different antennas on a tower & ran new coax. Nothing improved the reception. The last antenna we tried without success, our daughter took it to their house that is 5 miles east in flat country. They get lots of over the air channels that look as good as our cable channels.

·
Corndog Hater
11,287 Posts
I can't remember if I posted in Stan's thread or not. But we cut the DirectTV "cord" almost 2 years ago and haven't regretted it once. Our bill was $90 per month and now it is just the cost of the basic Netflix subscription, less than $10 per month. Unlike Stan, we are not commercial free though. We bought a Roku streaming stick and an Apple TV as we are Apple folks. We do also have Amazon Prime, more so for free shipping, and have watched a few things on it. We are on top of a hill but are too far away from the antenna towers and there are many hills between them and us, so any antenna reception is a no go. I do get the local (Buffalo) news on the Live Stream channel on the Roku. The kids never run out of stuff to watch and haven't asked for cable or satellite TV once.:good2:

·
Registered
21,562 Posts
You guys just need the right type of antenna. :good2:
I'll try anything - but I'm sure it won't work.

Back in the day, the small villages got together to get TV reception. They would hike up to the top of the nearest mountain and put up an antenna. Then run 1 mile or more of cable through the woods to then distribute through the 8-10 houses in the village.

There is just no way - I can't get a cell signal where I live either.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
I'll try anything - but I'm sure it won't work.

Back in the day, the small villages got together to get TV reception. They would hike up to the top of the nearest mountain and put up an antenna. Then run 1 mile or more of cable through the woods to then distribute through the 8-10 houses in the village.

There is just no way - I can't get a cell signal where I live either.
yeah-i'm in the same sinking boat-no cell signal. when we first moved here, i watched a guy make a call from his trac-phone at my kitchen table. 12yrs later or so, my wife buy's me a trac-phone:thumbup1gif: thinking i would have service here-nope-none. for some reason--they have discontinued service here too.:nunu:

As far as tv reception, when we was using antenna's we could only get 2 channels, both local-45 miles away either way. we are at the base of a mountain, so we figure that's our problem, as when we would go UP over the mountain to visit, they got channels out in Pittsburgh, area. Why do u think i liked going to the wife's house,:mocking: before she was my wife:lolol:yelp-the TV watching:lol: they even had a device on top of their tv that turned the Antenna pole, now how good is that, man, after going outside at my home to turn the antenna to get one or other of 2 channels, i thought i hit the mother lode, oh-yeah-they had a colored tv -too.:yahoo:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts