Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard about a new TV service that comes over the internet and is WAY cheaper than cable. Any one familiar with it? I think it requires a Smart TV, but we need a new one anyway. My cable is costing enough that I am seriously considering dropping it or changing it after 20 years. This may be a viable alternative. You do need an antenna to get local channels.

Sling TV: Everything you need to know - CNET

·
Registered
22,713 Posts
I know a guy on another forum who has had it for 6 months or so now (it's not really new). He is also a cable cutter.

He says he is quite happy with it mostly because of the sports he would have missed out on without cable.

For myself I didn't get it as I watch no sports. You have to look at the networks available and see if it is worth your $20 a month.

One network that interested me was AMC but come to find out that has an extra fee - so look closely at what is included in the basic package.

You don't need a new TV to get any of this stuff - Roku, Chrome TV, Apple TV, and a few others give you the same access to hundreds of things like this including Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu, etc. Myself, I like the stand alone unit better since it is not integrated into the TV. If the app part of the TV goes out you have to replace the whole TV. And you don't know who the app service provider is unless it is specified a Roku Smart TV.

I have a Roku unit and have been very pleased. It makes it so much easier to browse and select stations on their website rather than trying to navigate with a TV remote.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I had it for about 6-8 months. It worked fine on the tablets and such but was a disaster on the Roku 3. It constantly hung or went to buffering, even with a wired connection. To get the channels we wanted, we were paying about $35/month.

At the end of the day, I was able to get cable TV service with more channels added to our account cheaper than what we were paying for Sling. YMMV

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Having only DSL internet keeps me from enjoying these services,,

Sometimes Netflix is OK,,other times I am glad to have Dish Network.

So,, I use internet programming as "dessert",, not the "main course",,, :dunno:

·
Registered
592 Posts
DSL does not always mean slow. I had 20Mb DSL a few years ago. Of course we can only get 2Mb DSL at the new place.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
DSL does not always mean slow. I had 20Mb DSL a few years ago. Of course we can only get 2Mb DSL at the new place.
My SIL says I have 7.5M,,, anyone recommend a site that gives a good speed check??:dunno:

:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
22,713 Posts
I only have 10mbs down and 1mbs up with my cable. I have 2 PCs running all day with my weather station uploading to WU every 20 seconds, my Tivo, Roku wirelessly, and am on my iPad writting this and never had a proglem or slow down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts