Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who lives in an area with fairly rocky soil. The have a tractor (early 2000's 45hp Cub Cadet) and are looking to get a post-hole auger because they want to put up a lot of fencing. They are worried that they will end up spending more time replacing shear pins than digging holes so they are wondering if a slip-clutch could be added to the PTO instead of using shear pins? Are there any augers that come from the factory with a slip-clutch rather than shear pins?

:unknown:

·
Registered
592 Posts
The slip clutch would be part of the PTO driveshaft, not the auger. I would have one added during purchase.

If that can't be done, check out Agri-Supply as the had a slip clutch that can be added to a PTO shaft.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
With proper technique, they shouldn't break many. Dig a little, lift and clear. If you let it screw itself all the way in you're sunk regardless of a clutch or shear bolt.

I've never seen one sold with a slip clutch, but somebody may offer it. If not, I would buy a shear bolt model and use it as is a time or two before adding a clutch.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
With proper technique, they shouldn't break many. Dig a little, lift and clear. If you let it screw itself all the way in you're sunk regardless of a clutch or shear bolt.

I've never seen one sold with a slip clutch, but somebody may offer it. If not, I would buy a shear bolt model and use it as is a time or two before adding a clutch.
I agree with Blake. Although I would worry more about eating through a lot of auger teeth than anything else.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
I can't stick my auger in our property without hitting rocks and roots. I've never broken a shear pin, but I have screwed it in a few times. It can happen no matter how diligent you are on the 3pt and PTO button in poor soil. Run at idle and go slow. I'd have a few shear pins just in case, but what you really need is reverse for the auger. I got the aluminum 36" reverse for mine, but they make a 48" reverse too.

image_22119.jpg

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I can't stick my auger in our property without hitting rocks and roots. I've never broken a shear pin, but I have screwed it in a few times. It can happen no matter how diligent you are on the 3pt and PTO button in poor soil. Run at idle and go slow. I'd have a few shear pins just in case, but what you really need is reverse for the auger. I got the aluminum 36" reverse for mine, but they make a 48" reverse too.

View attachment 176978
Yes, I added the reverse option to mine also.:mocking:

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts

View attachment 176978
I have the 48" steel reverse option. :flag_of_truce: Just need a new PHD to try and avoid using it on. :mocking:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice! I'll pass it up the pipeline.

:hi:

·
Registered
346 Posts
I wish I had a slipper on mine. In poor conditions with a big auger there's no amount of operator effort or finesse that will prevent breaking shear bolts. Replacing them every five minutes makes for a long aggravating day.

·
Registered
702 Posts

View attachment 176978
Been there done that with my old tractor. Picked the front tires off the ground about 2 feet before I could think to lower the 3 pt. More than once.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts