Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a slow leak in another one of my R4s Last one was a sharp alder piercing a front.

This time it’s a rear under the gas tank side. Drops 5 or so pounds a day. Can’t find a thing.... done the soapy water, cleaned it and rubbed all over, magnet with no luck. anybody have a tech tip on locating a leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
459 Posts
Got a slow leak in another one of my R4s Last one was a sharp alder piercing a front.

This time it’s a rear under the gas tank side. Drops 5 or so pounds a day. Can’t find a thing.... done the soapy water, cleaned it and rubbed all over, magnet with no luck. anybody have a tech tip on locating a leak?

Soapy water in a spray bottle is my go to.
Sounds like you’ve explored that, you did check the valve stem, correct?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Have you checked the valve core, bead & once in a blue moon, I’ve found the rim to be leaking. Rim really has to be in bad shape. If that doesn’t do it, you’ll need to submerge part of the wheel under water.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Soapy water yes... no luck

Valve core no... how do I do that? Check that it’s tight?

Rims look mint. How do I check ? More soapy water?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts

Thanks
Check the valve core to see if it is tight. If you're having one of these "can't find it" problems, I'd also recommend that you just replace the valve core. They're cheap and sometimes they leak even if they're tight.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Thanks

Take the cap off and pour the soapy water on the stem. When checking with soapy water, I’ve had the best luck pouring the water on and not spray it on. The tires already have low psi in them & pouring the soapy water on does not really introduce any small bubbles on the tire. I would air the tires up to at least 30lbs, to aid in creating bubbles. The added air psi is not going to hurt anything, since you are not going to drive it anywhere.

Let us know what you find out! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know maybe it is the valve core... it has always held air poorly compared to the others but now that winter is here the cold air is making it worse.

Are the cores generic and sold at Napa or should I go to deere for one?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool advice thanks everyone.

Just to be clear the valve core is the metal insert that I unscrew from the inside of the stem right ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Deere part or just run to Napa if it’s the issue???

·
Registered
590 Posts
Cool advice thanks everyone.

Just to be clear the valve core is the metal insert that I unscrew from the inside of the stem right ?

You are correct! In addition to a new core, you will also need a valve core tool.

·
Registered
619 Posts
My humble prediction. Rim leak, inside. Take the tire off and soap up that rim.

·
Registered
619 Posts
And, if all you’re looking for is a valve stem remover, put your money towards a small tube of this stuff and put it in a small leaky tire. The remover is included.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
I had a similar issue on my truck... I took the tire/wheel off and put it in a wash tub with water deep enough to cover past the rim edge. Rolled it around until I saw tiny bubbles and chased it to the problem.

The wash tub was my plan B as the bathroom tub was voted out by the boss. :laugh:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Love the bath tub idea. I though the same thing!

I have a stem tool and know the procedure so I will try that first and see it holds air with he new one.

Update to come...

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Front tire on my 1025R was going soft on me overnight over the summer.

found that the tire bead was leaking.... demounted, cleaned with a rag & re seated the bead....

and no more leaking....

Dirt was driven into the bead from pressure washing the tractor.

now I mindfully stay away from the tire/rim interface when pressure washing...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the stem Core was tight and the search continued for a leak.

Threw it in the bathtub and wouldn’t you know it had a pin hole I could barely see in between two treads. Nothing there anymore but a hole I could barely see.

Plugged her and will see if she holds overnight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts