Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
It still amazes me that Japan attacked, Pearl Harbor, and we nuked Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and yet both sides were very willing to do business with each other.
A lesson on moving forward, not looking back that most current politicians could learn from.
Too bad that the same could not happen in the middle east and elsewhere around the world.

·
Premium Member
4,570 Posts
It still amazes me that Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, and we nuked Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and yet both sides were very willing to do business with each other.
A lesson on moving forward, not looking back that most current politicians could learn from.
I think that it was a rare combination of circumstances at work. You had a victor that was not interested in punishment or reparations, but was determined to rebuild and restructure a country and a government that would not only be an ally, but that would aspire to the best interests of its people and no longer be a threat to the world.

The Japanese were a very homogeneous culture, that respected authority and that respect and dedication was instrumental in the way they responded to the occupation and the reconstruction. Once the military influence was destroyed, the commitment of the Japanese; their intellect and industriousness allowed them to achieve economically what they tried to do militarily.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I credit much of post-war Japan to Douglas MacArthur, as he was the occupation commander and very pro-active in rebuilding and westernizing. I often wonder how different history would have been if Truman had not relieved him in Korea or if he had actively sought the Republican nomination for President. I don't fault Truman for relieving him, but I do believe Truman made a number of very poor decisions we paid for well beyond his presidency.

·
Premium Member
4,570 Posts
I credit much of post-war Japan to Douglas MacArthur, as he was the occupation commander and very pro-active in rebuilding and westernizing. I often wonder how different history would have been if Truman had not relieved him in Korea or if he had actively sought the Republican nomination for President. I don't fault Truman for relieving him, but I do believe Truman made a number of very poor decisions we paid for well beyond his presidency.
MacArthur was fortuitous; not only was he a great military man, he had an in depth knowledge of the Japanese and their culture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts