Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,285 Posts
Interesting. I wonder why he lists them as for the for the large garden tractors but not for CUTs. The grapple mounts to an existing quickhitch so... I'd think it should work on CUTs too then.

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Banned
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
grapple

Interesting. I wonder why he lists them as for the for the large garden tractors but not for CUTs. The grapple mounts to an existing quickhitch so... I'd think it should work on CUTs too then.
I agree with you If he uses the pivot bolt to mount them will work on any quickhitch. I also found that if you have the larger A frame and the smaller mount you only have to grind a 1/4 inch off each side of the mounting tube and they will interchange with no problem. Or use washers to shim to the larger mount either way they will interchange.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
He should have made them so they fit the 45 loader and some of the older loaders JD made for the Garden Tractors. I would think the lift height with the quick hitch is going to limit the usefulness of this. Neat idea though. I wonder if it can be modified to fit the hitch for 54 plow that mounts on a 400...:greentractorride:

·
Registered
12,609 Posts
I think that's neat. now if I didn't already own my 2series jd, and only the x475 I would probably try one-but not with having my other tractor.

Reactions: Levi and JustChris

·
Banned
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grapp;e

It will mount to any Quick attach front for any JD using one. The mount for the blade broom and blower are the same only the hitch mounting and the adapters change for the tractors of choice. O know will fit my 318 and my 4100

·
Registered
8 Posts
Inventor of this grapple

Hello guys, I am the inventor of the grapple in discussion and wanted to jump into the discussion if I may. Tony, thanks for getting this started and I enjoyed speaking with you the other day. As has been stated, the grapple fits all of the quick hitches starting with the 425 series and pretty much everything after that. I will have brackets available soon that will allow some of the older tractors (318, 400, etc....) to use the newer style quick hitch and therefore my grapple as well. The lift capacity is more than 250 lb, however, I stated 250 lbs because the quick hitches are made by John Deere and they rate their tractor shovel at 200 lbs lift capacity. Since my grapple weighs at least 50 lbs less than the front blade with the shovel on it, I went with 250 lbs to be safe. I will likely raise that in the future but I don't want to overstate it. I'll say this, it lifts as much as you would probably want to lift for the size tractors this fits. It is not meant to replace a loader style grapple but rather provide the many quick hitch owners out there a fairly inexpensive way to use their hitch year round and expand its usefulness. I can post a video link of my prototype if you guys would allow me to, but I have to warn you, the Deere quick hitch I have is now mounted to my Kubota BX1850 (Sorry!!). I had a neighbor practically give it to me and I needed a loader at the time (which it came with). So I made a bracket to allow it to use my Deere quick hitch. I will have another Deere soon I promise. I will try to answer questions as often as I can if you have any, but it may be a day or two between my logging in due to my holiday schedule.

I will have video of it on a Deere available soon too!

Thanks,
Mark
Innovative Tractor Attachments LLC

·
Registered
796 Posts
The lift capacity is more than 250 lb, however, I stated 250 lbs because the quick hitches are made by John Deere and they rate their tractor shovel at 200 lbs lift capacity. Since my grapple weighs at least 50 lbs less than the front blade with the shovel on it, I went with 250 lbs to be safe. I will likely raise that in the future but I don't want to overstate it. I'll say this, it lifts as much as you would probably want to lift for the size tractors this fits.
This will fit my 1023e and I frequently lift logs in the 800-1,000lb range with the H120 FEL in order to get them onto the trailer and to pick them off the ground for bucking, so the tractor will do fine lifting quite a lot of weight. If your grapple could get even into the 600+ pound lift range, I would be very interested. At 250lbs, or even something near that, the logs it would be limited to are simply too small.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This will fit my 1023e and I frequently lift logs in the 800-1,000lb range with the H120 FEL in order to get them onto the trailer and to pick them off the ground for bucking, so the tractor will do fine lifting quite a lot of weight. If your grapple could get even into the 600+ pound lift range, I would be very interested. At 250lbs, or even something near that, the logs it would be limited to are simply too small.
Thanks for the reply Williaty. I fully understand your stance and I think it's really not meant as a super heavy lifting implement like your loader is. Not necessarily a limitation of my grapple but rather the fact that I convert the quick hitch into a grapple. The quick hitch is quite powerful and well designed to handle my grapple but it wasn't designed for lifting as it's primary function. It doesn't have braces to other parts of the tractor frame like a loader does. When I come across a big long log I use my grapple to lift the end just enough to get under it and then drag it out. For someone that doesn't have a loader but does have a quick hitch, this will be a great addition to their arsenal. I think those with buckets would likely go with a grapple designed for their bucket (and should). Anyway, I do appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,276 Posts
Pretty cool idea and product. Where were you 20 years ago? With the tractor I have now I didn't even bother getting the QH for the front. With the 425 I had back then I could have used this.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
503 Posts
I built a unit that mounts to a 54 blade and it lifts a fair bit more than 250 pounds (close to 400). I suspect this will have a fair bit of lift capability and may surprise the manufacturer. I have found the 3/4" bars to be a bit too weak and will rebuild mine with heavier pieces.

·
Registered
8 Posts
lift capacity

I probably shouldn't state that the lift capacity is only 250 lbs because it will lift much more than that. I was just trying to follow John Deere's lead by what they rated the tractor shovel for. I know it lifts much more than that and I'll bet so does the tractor shovel. They probably just don't recommend it, to cover their butt. I was really just playing it safe by stating 250 lbs since I haven't been able to do an exact test with a weighed log. However, I did lift a 320 lb friend of mine with ease with a 425. Again, I was curious why Deere's capacity was so low so I played it safe in my first add. I will be getting video from a few of my first customers very soon and will share it on here.

See if this link works below. You may have to paste it into your browser as I couldn't get it to be a link for some reason. This is the Deere quick hitch and grapple mounted on a Kubota BX. I apologize again for the orange and will have some video of it on green very soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvf9WhfMotc&feature=youtu.be

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
It's not how much the tool will lift. It's how much weight the front axle will take.

Reactions: MF7346

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks for the reply Williaty. I fully understand your stance and I think it's really not meant as a super heavy lifting implement like your loader is. Not necessarily a limitation of my grapple but rather the fact that I convert the quick hitch into a grapple. The quick hitch is quite powerful and well designed to handle my grapple but it wasn't designed for lifting as it's primary function. It doesn't have braces to other parts of the tractor frame like a loader does. When I come across a big long log I use my grapple to lift the end just enough to get under it and then drag it out. For someone that doesn't have a loader but does have a quick hitch, this will be a great addition to their arsenal. I think those with buckets would likely go with a grapple designed for their bucket (and should). Anyway, I do appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Mark
I particularly like the compact size. I have noticed on my forks when I have them wide for what I think is stability, I am actually less stable with respect to the tractor. Any divot or side grade puts the load outside the "Stability Triangle". Having the smaller width is a benny for me.

Have you considered a loader-mount face plate option?

Reactions: MF7346

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Wow. This small grapple looks great. This will really expand the usefulness of x700 series and older 4xx series tractors. I don't think it is fair to compare this to a loader mounted grapple for larger CUTs. It is perfect for its intended uses.

Great idea!

·
Banned
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
grapple

I want to clarify some thing. So there is NO confusion the grapple will mount on any JD quick hitch that the JD broom Blade and snow blower will. Mounts the same way line the pins up and drop in the two spring latches. NO matter what tractor or tractor adapter mount you have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I particularly like the compact size. I have noticed on my forks when I have them wide for what I think is stability, I am actually less stable with respect to the tractor. Any divot or side grade puts the load outside the "Stability Triangle". Having the smaller width is a benny for me.

Have you considered a loader-mount face plate option?

Yea I wanted to keep it compact due to the way the quick hitch is built. I didn't want to introduce a bunch of twisting forces into the hitch. This forces the load to be pretty centered. The exception is when you grab a long log. Then you want to just try to get near the middle. The small size really doesn't change much about what you can lift and move. As far as making it attachable to a loader bucket. I know they already have an interface kit for that. I forget who sells it but it lets you attach the Deere plow and quick hitch to the bucket so you can plow with it. So that would also mean you could use my grapple with it I imagine.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pictures and a Lift capacity update

So, I had a customer send me a few pictures of the grapple in action on his Deere 445. He also posted about it on another forum but I will not redirect traffic from here out of respect for this site. He cut and weighed the long log after lifting with what he claimed was "ease" and it weighed in at 530 lbs. He said he could see it handling 650 lbs without a problem. I am not going to claim that at this point but it gives you an idea of what this thing can do. In the picture with the long log, he bolted some scrap metal extensions onto the upper jaw because he had been using it for small brush and he was experimenting. Hopefully the photo's are viewable, I uploaded them but don't see them at the moment.

Thanks,
Mark

Grapple with 530 lb log.jpg GRAPPLE WITH LOG.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts