Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got this from my dad. He didn’t use it anymore and figured what the heck. Also getting his 13” clausing lathe but don’t have a pic of that yet. That one will be a little harder to get in the basement then the mill

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
Sweet!!! :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

·
Administrator
17,260 Posts
Great score! I was looking for one of those but finally got a Bridgeport.

·
Administrator
17,260 Posts
My Bridgy is a '59 too, and my Clausing 49xx lathe is a 1969 (the same year I was born).

·
Administrator
17,260 Posts
One cool thing with these is that Clausing still supports them, at least many of the wear parts away. For those parts they no longer produce they will supply the prints for it so you can make or have made what you need.

If you call them with them S/N they will send you manuals and parts pricing if needed, but it sounds like you have that covered.

Clausing Industrial | Machine Tools | CNC | Manufacturers | Distribution

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hiya,

Free machine tools are always a good deal....

A page that has some good info: Clausing 8520 Mill | Dales Shop

Free advice: Get a DRO, dials are so 1960's

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I like it!!!! :good2: And I am VERY Jealous!!!

Happy milling!!!

Is it single phase or 3 phase?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I like it!!!! :good2: And I am VERY Jealous!!!

Happy milling!!!

Is it single phase or 3 phase?
Hiya,

As Ray points out, they were available for single or three phase. (Although, unless it was used in an industrial environment, I doubt it would have a three phase motor on it) If it is three phase, use one of these on a 20A 115v circuit and your good: https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Drives/GS2_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC_V-z-Hz_Control)/GS2_Drive_Units_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC)/GS2-11P0

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
It is single phase but wouldn't matter since I have 2 - 30kva rotary converters in tandem for all my wood working machines in my basement
Hiya,

Some free advice then, get a couple plastic tarps for the metal working machines and tie them off around the bottom to keep the wood dust out as much as possible. Sawdust and sanding dust get everywhere and they make great oil absorbers and moisture collectors, your ways and quill will thank you.

BTW I'm jealous of your phase converters but maybe not so much of your electric bill... :laugh:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good advice on the dust. I am putting these on the non dusty side of the basement but should still keep them covered since that stuff get's everywhere.

My mistake on the converters. 2- 15s for a total of 30. Most of the time I can run off 1 converter but need to start the second when I fire up the molder.

cant wait to get these things hooked up and running

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice score on the mill. Would love to have something similar.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts