Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
I recently bought a Sthil HT132 pole pruner - I can't say enough good things about it. It's well balanced easy to start and idles beautifully and is incredibly versatile and useful. It's a fairly lightweight saw and the pole lets you keep two feet on the ground when trimming branches. I only bring out the big Sthil (18" bar) if I'm going to cut down an entire tree.

If I cut down a tree, I use the HT132 to trim off the limbs before cutting the trunk in pieces with the big Sthil. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have an MS390 and a Homelite 240 that won’t quit. Every time I think about getting a small Stihl I can’t do it. The trusty ole Homelite (got for 100 bucks at a garage sale) just keeps running strong. I do like new toys, so I’ll be following this thread
:munch:
I have two old homelites going back forty years both made right here and both have never let me down. The fuel mix is different so i don't use them much anymore

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So I bought an MS170 today, looks like it should suit my needs very well. Thanks for everyone's input :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Homelite owned by JD

Was reading a book last night on the history of JD and was surprised to read that they bought Homelite. So all of us with homelite chain saws can now paint them grren:greentractorride::good2:

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I have a 017 with a 14” bar. It works good for smaller stuff.

·
Registered
317 Posts
This is a good read for anyone looking for a smaller chainsaw. I personally have an Stihl MS181 C-BE. It has the easy start for us older gentlemen and no tool adjustment on the chain. 16” bar with the low kickback chain.

I thought this may bring it back to the top.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
This is a good read for anyone looking for a smaller chainsaw. I personally have an Stihl MS181 C saw. It has the easy start for us older gentlemen and no tool adjustment on the chain. 16” bar with the low kickback chain.

I thought this may bring it back to the top.

View attachment 748838
I have the little saw in my kombie system and I us it on things it wasn't intended for and it never lets me down. A small saw is so handy. I use the saw without the extension most of the time

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a ms250 18” bar that’s about 15 years old and love it, very powerful and capable saw, when I built my house I cut down willows with about an 4-5’ trunk. STIHL makes some great products when I bought my first house I purchased all commercial series weed Wacker, blower and the saw. I would like to upgrade the weed Wacker and blower, but I can’t bring myself to to it because they all still run great.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
MS170 for small work and a MS291 for the bigger stuff.

Reactions: Uncle Wayne

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have a ms250 18” bar that’s about 15 years old and love it, very powerful and capable saw, when I built my house I cut down willows with about an 4-5’ trunk. STIHL makes some great products when I bought my first house I purchased all commercial series weed Wacker, blower and the saw. I would like to upgrade the weed Wacker and blower, but I can’t bring myself to to it because they all still run great.
Can't beat built in America.

Reactions: Uncle Wayne

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
MS170 for small work and a MS291 for the bigger stuff.
I habe the ms251 and use the kombie system if i need a small chain saw

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Our local hardware store just started carrying STIHL saws etc. They are good looking tools.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My dealer also recommended running high test fuel to which I also add a product called "Mechanic in a bottle". I use 1 ounce per gallon and I never have fuel issues.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
My dealer also recommended running high test fuel to which I also add a product called "Mechanic in a bottle". I use 1 ounce per gallon and I never have fuel issues.
Stilh says no additives they are in the oil. I use only ethanol free gas in all my gas power equipment. Sine i started doing that i have never had any problems what so ever even if the tool sits for a couple of years. Always store with full tanks as well. The full tank fill the eulage space so there is no room for water soaked air to enter tank through vent

Reactions: tddeangelo

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have an MS211. I feed it Stihl oil mixed in ethanol-free gas. It runs and cuts like a champ, and it's light, easy to use, and just flat out works.

I bought a gas-powered Kombi (91 power head). It also runs like a champ on ethanol-free gas with Stihl 2-cycle oil.

I also keep them full all year round and they start up great and run great, anytime I need them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'll add...I borrowed a power pole pruner, as I didn't want to spend the cash on the chainsaw attachment for my Kombi when I use it very seldom. I borrowed the pole pruner and had a chainsaw of the same other maker (not Stihl).

After a few hours of work, I swore I was going to just open the dang wallet and get the attachment for the Kombi and use that any my 211 for all my jobs. They just work.

The ones I borrowed from another brand worked. Eventually. Once they felt like it.

Frustrating.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'll add...I borrowed a power pole pruner, as I didn't want to spend the cash on the chainsaw attachment for my Kombi when I use it very seldom. I borrowed the pole pruner and had a chainsaw of the same other maker (not Stihl).

After a few hours of work, I swore I was going to just open the dang wallet and get the attachment for the Kombi and use that any my 211 for all my jobs. They just work.

The ones I borrowed from another brand worked. Eventually. Once they felt like it.

Frustrating.
Buy one, you will soon find its useful for lots of things. I found its better at trimming hedges than my hedge trimmer attachment cause it cuts everything dosent hang up on the thicker branchs like the trimmer dose. I seldom use the pole extension just the chain saw end which handy for trimming falls of branches eliminating bending over. The list goes on and on.

Reactions: 69project

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use the hedge clipper attachment a LOT.

I use it to cut back brush on trails where I hunt and to scythe down tall weeds we’re getting a 1025 is just a bit tight or tricky.

That attachment is probably the most used one I have. The next time I need a power pruner though, I’ll be buying the stihl attachment to use my Kombi instead of the one I borrowed.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I use the hedge clipper attachment a LOT.

I use it to cut back brush on trails where I hunt and to scythe down tall weeds we’re getting a 1025 is just a bit tight or tricky.

That attachment is probably the most used one I have. The next time I need a power pruner though, I’ll be buying the stihl attachment to use my Kombi instead of the one I borrowed.
I quit using my hedge trimmer and just use the pole pruner without the pole. The hedge trimmer will jam on some twigs and the pruner cuts it all. Never tried it on grass though just bushes. You will love it I'm sure.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts