Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am waiting on delivery of the 1026R... am considering ordering a fertilizer broadcast spreader to use with it... PTO driven, Cat 0 and 1, 226# hopper.

Anyone had any experience with the Frontier SS1023B? Accuracy? Easy to calibrate? General quality?

Perhaps other broadcast spreaders out there that would also work? I see Northern Tool sells a couple of different kinds; LandPride also has them, but these are quite large. The Frontier 1023B appears to be about the right size for the 1026R, and for my acreage needs.

Experiences?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
17,250 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Gary,
I have the SS2036B and really like it. I use it on my 2305 to cover about four acres of lawn. I like the plastic and the stainless steel for corrosion pertection. The accuracy, control, and quality of the unit are excellant. The only complaint I have is that the one mounting pin position is a little off from side to side in hieght. I have to compensate with the lift arm adjustment to get is level. I have plans to fix this, but that is another topic. Otherwise a very good unit.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gary,
I have the SS2036B and really like it. I use it on my 2305 to cover about four acres of lawn. I like the plastic and the stainless steel for corrosion pertection. The accuracy, control, and quality of the unit are excellant. The only complaint I have is that the one mounting pin position is a little off from side to side in hieght. I have to compensate with the lift arm adjustment to get is level. I have plans to fix this, but that is another topic. Otherwise a very good unit.
Randy, thanks. (ignore my post on the other forum... I went there before I read this)... Did order the the SS1023B today... feeling good in light of your comment about "accuracy, control and quality...".. hopefully this will also be the case for the 1023B. May have to figure out a way to "iMatch" it, though, as iMatch is not available for this one.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I don't have an Imatch, but do have a quick hitch and had the same problem. I had to make a couple of pins and an upper bracket for mine. I am not completely happy with it and have ideas on making it better. What I do have does work for now. It is pretty simple, it you're interested I could get you some photos of what I did. My fix won't quite work for you as my quick hitch has an adjustable top hook and I remove it and install my own bracket. My upgrade would include making it so I don't have to remove the upper hook. It is on my list of things to do.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have an Imatch, but do have a quick hitch and had the same problem. I had to make a couple of pins and an upper bracket for mine. I am not completely happy with it and have ideas on making it better. What I do have does work for now. It is pretty simple, it you're interested I could get you some photos of what I did. My fix won't quite work for you as my quick hitch has an adjustable top hook and I remove it and install my own bracket. My upgrade would include making it so I don't have to remove the upper hook. It is on my list of things to do.
Would like to take you up on the offer... to see some photos. No rush, though, as I will not have the equipment for a month or so... everything on order! Appreciating your help...
Gary

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Gary,

Sorry for the delay. Here is what I have now. It works, but needs some refinement. I made oversize lower pins that just slip on with clamp collars as lateral retainers. The upper bracket mounts in to the quick hitch where the hook would be. You will also notice that the gate lever and stops are a close fit to the hitch. I really want to improve this so I don't have to remove the hook. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Banned
747 Posts
Randy, is that Cosmo from TSC (and other dealers) by any chance?

Gary,

Sorry for the delay. Here is what I have now. It works, but needs some refinement. I made oversize lower pins that just slip on with clamp collars as lateral retainers. The upper bracket mounts in to the quick hitch where the hook would be. You will also notice that the gate lever and stops are a close fit to the hitch. I really want to improve this so I don't have to remove the hook. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Randy, is that Cosmo from TSC (and other dealers) by any chance?
Sorry George, cosmo? You will need to provide the slow guy here with more detail.

·
Administrator
17,250 Posts
Sorry George, cosmo? You will need to provide the slow guy here with more detail.
Cosmo is a brand name of spreaders (Made in Italy) that TSC sells.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
AAahhhhh, thanks Ken.

George, then to answer your question, the spreader is a Frontier from my Deere dealer, model SS2036B.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Thanks Randy, sure does look like a Cosmo... Wonder if they make it for Deere/Frontier. Does it fit on the 2305, or is it modded for the 2520?
George, I am not sure who makes it for Frontier. I am sure someone can help us out on that. The great thing about getting it set up for a quick hitch is I now can run it on either machine. I do however, mostly run it on the 2305 for now.

As Tim pointed out, it is a bit of a pain to get it set up for the quick hitch, but once set up it is well worth it.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Thanks, I know you mentioned this model before in my quest for a sander, but I had forgotten it. Must get a quote from the dealer on it (they only quoted on a metal one). Have you used this one for sanding? Might pick your brains on adapting it for a QH.

George, I am not sure who makes it for Frontier. I am sure someone can help us out on that. The great thing about getting it set up for a quick hitch is I now can run it on either machine. I do however, mostly run it on the 2305 for now.

As Tim pointed out, it is a bit of a pain to get it set up for the quick hitch, but once set up it is well worth it.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Have you used this one for sanding? Might pick your brains on adapting it for a QH.
Sorry, haven't used it to spread sand. I would think that it would pose some problems if the sand is wet. We will have to learn together on that one. Maybe someone else can chime in with experience.

Earlier in this thread are some pics of my current quick hitch set up. As I stated, I would like to improve the design. Your suggestions are welcome.

I like the plastic and stainless steel of this unit. I really didn't want to deal with any corrosion issues.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Thanks Randy,

Only one I know of that handles wet sand is the Herd 5.5, but it also runs $1500... I plan on getting some concrete mix sand from the quarry that's up the road sometime in early Summer and letting it dry in the sun, then plan on building a couple of big watertight storage boxes to hold it, for winter use.

I hear ya on the poly/stainless combo, and am leaning that way as well. The next Frontier model up, the 2067B is iMatch compatible, so I might go with that one. Don't know if the Cosco from TSC is or not.

On mods, it's only the top hook that's giving you grief, correct? My Speeco QH came with another top hook for none QH attachments, I can take a pic of that if it will help, shouldn't be too hard to duplicate. Camera should be out of the shop today or tomorrow.

Sorry, haven't used it to spread sand. I would think that it would pose some problems if the sand is wet. We will have to learn together on that one. Maybe someone else can chime in with experience.

Earlier in this thread are some pics of my current quick hitch set up. As I stated, I would like to improve the design. Your suggestions are welcome.

I like the plastic and stainless steel of this unit. I really didn't want to deal with any corrosion issues.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Thanks Randy,

Only one I know of that handles wet sand is the Herd 5.5, but it also runs $1500... I plan on getting some concrete mix sand from the quarry that's up the road sometime in early Summer and letting it dry in the sun, then plan on building a couple of big watertight storage boxes to hold it, for winter use.
This sounds like a very good plan and should work well.

I hear ya on the poly/stainless combo, and am leaning that way as well. The next Frontier model up, the 2067B is iMatch compatible, so I might go with that one. Don't know if the Cosco from TSC is or not.
When I bought mine I just fugured I would modify what I needed to make it QH. And I didn't really want to go to the bigger unit.

On mods, it's only the top hook that's giving you grief, correct? My Speeco QH came with another top hook for none QH attachments, I can take a pic of that if it will help, shouldn't be too hard to duplicate. Camera should be out of the shop today or tomorrow.
You are correct, mostly the top hook arrangement is my problem. I am framiliar with your QH and the extra piece. Thank you for the pic offer, at this time I don't think it will be necessary. I would really like to make the mod so it will just use the current hook. That way it is the simplest for mounting, no extra fiddling. Just drop it in the mounting, pull lock handles, attach the drive shaft and away I go.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a SS1023B that is I-matched. Had it about six years now and I'd say a good unit for the price; paid 4 and change back then.
Get the optional agitator wheel, it's manditory to keep your media flowing nicely, and without it you will have clogs. The remote gate control would be nice but too costly for me.
A local machine shop made the five little parts needed to I-match it for 30 bucks and all I had to do was drill the pin holes and weld 'em together for the lower pins and just a bolt through the upper spacer. To get the upper double plate mount to sit correctly in, and give clearance for the hook, I removed the cone and cut the plates off as neatly as I could and used the I-match as a jig to line them back up while installed on the new lower mounts. Weld, paint, assemble, and enjoy.
I planned to put a little gusset in the corner where the lower pin meets the tube but it's been OK.

Regards,

Tom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Thanks Tom, that is very nicely done. :good2: I will keep this in mind when I upgrade mine.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Heard back from the Dealer. SS2036B is $885, SS2067B is $1135. Both before taxes (15%). Decisions, decisions:

1. Go to Maine and get a Casco from TSC, $569, or Herd 5.5 at $1550. Will have to deal with Customs.

2. Get the SS2036B and jury rig to work with QH.

3. Get the SS2067B and just hook and go.

I'd save some with #1, but the way fuel is going it may not be much, even though I'd be using a Jetta TDI wagon and small trailer. Randy and others, I'll pick your brain if I go with #2, doesn't look too hard. Right now, #3 looks like a no-brainer, but wondering if it would be overkill for the 2305. As always, comments welcome.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts