Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y'll know that I am tech challenged. I also have not had a need to upgrade cell phones. So, boss lady has let me keep the oldest phone in the fleet. I've actually liked having it, even though I think it predated flip phones. The others call it a "relic".

I mean, I REALLY like it. Better customers have their own ringtone. PIA customers have their own as well. A couple of friends have their own, etc. Probably have 20-25 groups in it with their own ringtone, and everything else goes to a default that I chose as well.

What's more? The phone is small. I can fit it into small nooks and crannies out of the way, and it has proven durable too, because it has been dropped, scattered into many pieces, picked up, slapped back together, and is still working like it always has. Did I mention, I love this phone?

Boss lady is in receipt of a notice that the network is upgrading towers. Problem is, when they do that, this old phone supposedly will no longer work, on the new system. This phone predates having cameras or any 2G, 3G, technology. Carrier says anything 2G or older will need to be upgraded to function. I'm extremely disappointed, because I like the polyphonic ring tones that I have set up.

I also hate the costs of the new phones. I save the company money by keeping an old phone that the boss got for $40, 15 years ago. But, I guess that is her problem. I do however take the company serious and try not to spend money that isn't needed to be spent. After all, if the company makes money, I keep my job.

So. All that said, Is there a "Smarter than me" phone that will let me chose separate ringtones for different people, or groups of people? Any get a good vote for dependability? The phone will not be used for text, or data, only as a phone/voice mail system. If I knew of one with a great reputation, I'd even look for one on ebay, as long as it was a newer design than 2G. But, I feel like I can't get by without those individual ringtones. I paid for them when I began using that phone, and hate that I will now lose them. Any of you tech types out there use those individual ringtones on your 3G or newer phone? Any of you aware of 3G or newer than allows individual ringtones? I've got a friend with an iPhone, and she says if they can do that, she hasn't figured it out yet.

I DON'T WANT A NEW PHONE! Did I mention, I love the one I have? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Back in 2010 or so, I went from a smartphone to a flip phone. That experience was horrible as all the current flip phones were using Java for the operating system. The phone was slow, rebooted itself often, and sometimes wouldn't function at all.

I have not kept current with flip phones for years, and I believe your options will be severely limited. Sorry I can't be of more help but did want to share my tales of woe of trying to stay with a non-smartphone.

On the flip side, if you get a smartphone, you can get the Tapatalk app and keep up with GTT! :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Farmgirl,
You are in luck with the ability to set individual ring tones for each person or group you set up. As for keeping your current ones, I am sure there is some software or person out there who might be able to transfer them but IDK.

The iPHONE has the ability to set tones for each contact whether it call, text, or any other notification you can receive from them.

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
My company just "upgraded" my phone from a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini to a Samsung Galaxy 5. I spent most of yesterday getting everything set back up. :nunu:

The S5 is bigger, but for business application, it is a better phone.

I liked the S3 Mini. It was small enough to carry without issue.

The S3 was my first "smart phone". I managed to carry it for over two years and didn't kill it (even though at times I wanted to). :lol:

I like the Samsung phones. I have no experience with iPhones, but if I was shopping with my money, I'd stick with Samsung.

Good luck in your search.

I can appreciate wanting to keep your "relic".

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Once you discover all the things you can do with a smartphone that is not available on a "flip" phone, you will never go back. I have had smartphones for years, starting with the old Palm phones. I am able to synchronize with my computer for emails, contacts, calendar, etc, so I am never out of touch. Navigation on the phone is a big plus. With a smartphone, you can have Tapatalk on it to keep up with GTT.

I much prefer the Android phones, which are available in many brands, making for fierce competition among them. My personal preference is for HTC phones. I am now on my third one and it is two years old. I have several friends and relatives with HTC phones and they have all been good phones and easy to use.

The cause of your problem is that the carriers do not want to have to continue to support old technology as it is costly to have multiple technologies out there at the same time.

In order to help you with a phone selection, we really need to know your carrier/provider as not all of them have the same phones, plus certain phones only work with certain carriers, unless you go with an unlocked phone and I do not recommend that for you.

What it the timetable they have given you.

Dave

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
FG: So you don't want a new phone, but you're being forced to get one. Would you consider a smartphone? Or would you like to keep to a flip phone? If you went with a smartphone, there are MANY FREE apps you can download that give you zillions of custom ringtones. I use "Zedge" on mine, love it. The problem with a flip phone is you will have to pay for your ringtones all over again likely. Also, with (I'd imagine) any smartphone, you can customize ringtones to individual people. Your best bet is to find someone who's patient and technologically savvy to help you make a good choice. My mother-in-law is a flip phone hold out too, no shame in it.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
As an owner of a phone that is also Neanderthal, I'm following this thread closely. Made up my mind to go Android/Samsung G5 very soon. Liked the one my computer fixer has. I like the idea of "navigation" and Internet searches as I use buses and taxis often.

MY problem is making sure I get the most bang from my "Plan Buck". Buy phone from Verizon, not, w/o plan vs. plan? Tech performance anxiety again... :laugh:

·
Registered
210 Posts
What's the world coming to, we'll soon have a tech savvy smart farm girl. I'm an iPhone guy and I really like them. My wife really likes her Samsung Galaxy. You can easily set a ring tone for each person in an iPhone. I would assume you could with any other smart phone too. Get a good case such as otter box, it makes the phone a bit more bulky but much easier to hang on too. With the otter box case I've dropped it many times with no damage too the phone.

Once you have one you'll find its so much more then just something to talk on. I use mine for photos, gps, texting, pay my bills, Apple Pay, check flights,alarm clock, tracks my steps, weather, garage door opener, voice notes. The list is endless it's like having a computer in your pocket. There are even 100's of apps for aviation, you can fly simulators, aircraft gps and nav, aeronautical charts. The iPhone has a built in assistant called Siri you can ask her to send texts, make calls or find pretty much anything. You can also say "flights above me" she will tell you what the flight and aircraft is flying over your head.

Come on FG get with the times let the guys know when your set up on face book and Twitter. You'll be face booking and tweeting all day and GTT guys can follow the adventures of FG. You'll wonder how you ever managed to live without a smart phone.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
More tech savvy people here than me . . I know what you want to do can easily be done with most current phones. :good2: I'm an iPhone person. My so Rich, works for Salem Hosp and does all their cell phones for doctors, nurses and staff, is a Samsung guy. Loves it.

Wish you the best . . . . you've got lots of technology to catch-up on. :laugh:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Y'all keep talking about Flip phones. I think what I carry predates the flips. I think it is 1 generation removed from the bag phones. Yep, still going, after all these years of people abusing it. No camera, at all, and texting is blocked. Just need the little, old phone. And you can bet I'll run this one until they turn everything off for it.

I have no idea the timeline. Boss received the letter, and they told her they'd send out another notice before killing it.

I do not need Apps on the work phone. No data needed, and that would cost more anyway. All of the tech is essentially lost, since not needed for work. And that is part of my problem when trying to get the advice I need from store personnel, etc. They all want to show me all of the bells and whistles. This is not a toy, it is for phone calls, taking messages and receiving messages, AT WORK.

The network is AT&T. I have no control over that, as it is the boss' network. I want the oldest phone available, and would prefer something off of ebay. I think giving hundreds of dollars for something like this is just stupid, and money the business can use to help pay fuel bills and for the supplies we use in the job. And another HUGE plus is if it doesn't have the darn locating ability. The thought of ANYONE, besides my boss being able to know where I am bugs me. I am good at keeping up with my location, and in the event of an emergency, can tell the operators where I am within 100 yards. Can't tell you how many times I've called 911 when coming upon an accident, and when I gave the location, they said, we are transferring you to the ambulance dispatch, as they are looking for it, and no one could tell them the info close enough to get them there. Must be my pilot nav skills.

So, if it has the dadgum tracking, I want a phone that can be disabled on.

I think this is all a plot to force everyone to pay for a "data plan". We currently have free mobile to mobile, and rollover minutes, etc. Bills are well managed that way. When I am forced into this, it will be kicking and screaming.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I can do all of you one better, I do not have a cell phone. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
You could take a look at phones that are intended for Smart Talk or the Tracphone devices and try to match those up against the network you're on. I know that you can take phones from AT&T and Verizon over to Smart Talk because they use the same towers and service, and I would suspect that you could go "the other way" as well. There are flip phones for those services that would likely get you what you need and be compatible with the tower upgrades going on in your area.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
You could take a look at phones that are intended for Smart Talk or the Tracphone devices and try to match those up against the network you're on. I know that you can take phones from AT&T and Verizon over to Smart Talk because they use the same towers and service, and I would suspect that you could go "the other way" as well. There are flip phones for those services that would likely get you what you need and be compatible with the tower upgrades going on in your area.
I think I still have my old AT&T flip phone. I'll dig it up tonight and get the model number for you.

I put it aside in the event I wanted "just a phone" for personal use.

We were able to find one just like it for Dad.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Looks like I'm one of the FEW here who also abhor the idea of keeping up with a phone.
When I retired, I handed in my company cell phone and haven't had a need nor urge to go buy one of my own.
I figure if someone wants to contact me they can call my house phone, e-mail me, or come over to my place.
I also figured out how to get those pesky telemarketers from calling more than once. Real simple, I see the number on my caller ID that I don't recognize and answer "FBI Field Office, what is your emergency and location"?
That normally produces a. silence b. sorry, wrong number c. an immediate disconnect from their end. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Just because I have a cell phone doesn't mean I always carry it. :laugh:

What I also like about a cell phone is that you can turn it OFF.

I haven't had a landline in 15+ years. That got rid of the telemarketers real fast.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I would also recommend an Iphone for your needs. It's a very good voice phone and you can turn off the other stuff if you want. I keep cellular data and bluetooth turned off on mine unless I'm in the car, if I use it for data at home its on my wifi. And while I don't use specialized ringtones as you want to do, I'm sure the phone is capable of it.

Main thing I like about it is always having a good camera in my pocket. I have Iphone 5s and it's just the right size to slip in a shirt pocket. Being retired I consider a cellphone only necessary to have when a landline is unavailable. I have mine on the Tracfone BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) program which is fine for me. Mine is on Verizon's service and cost is $20 for 60 minutes/3 months, or about $7 a month for me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts