Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since going from the 26r to now 25r have noticed one thing.. When I had the 26r I could preheat for a couple of seconds ,none at all or still the light on the dash went off start the engine very ,very little smoke or sputtering . Tonight went to start tractor , first since this past Sat., left the glow light go off on the dash. Started right away like always, but man of day, it sputtered, hesitated, and smoked like crazy.
After about 20-30 seconds ran fine .

So I'm wondering if it is because of the newer engine and the EPA regs ? I didn't think to ask the service manager today when I was talking with him.

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
What color smoke?

·
Premium Member
14,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
black or dark color and have always used off road , and always use some type treatment.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Black should be fuel - mine smokes a little at start-up, but I've never noticed any kind of stumbling, etc.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hiya,

From your description it sounds like a combination of low cetane rating of the fuel, lower air temps now that fall is arriving and glow plugs that maybe were not warm enough. Most Diesels smoke a bit on startup. I know mine do, especially the big Cat's. All engines are slightly different, some start easier, some smoke less, some smoke more, some sound like cement mixers when they first start, some don't.

Here are 2 things to consider

1) Check your winter fuel additive to see if it contains a cetane additive, if so, follow the instructions to get the maximum cetane boost and see if that makes a difference with the rough running when it first starts.

2) Let your pre-heat cycle go a little longer. If it's a manual pre-heat like larger equipment, hold the button a little longer, if it's an automatic system, let it run one cycle, turn the key off and let it run another 1/2 to 1 cycle and then start it. The glow plugs will be hotter and that should cut down the smoke on starting. If the glowplugs are like the older Deere/Yanmars that they put the light on for 5 seconds but ran the glowplugs for a full 30 seconds even after the engine starts, simply wait for the light to go out, count to 5 or if it's really cold, 10 and then start. I would do that on my 330 and 430 and they would smoke a lot less when they started.

Keep in mind that a Diesel will "puff" black smoke on startup, this is normal for any non-electronic injection engine. (The new ones keep the injectors off, let the engine crank for a revolution or 2 to purge the cylinders and then turn on injectors in a staged order to minimize excess fuel and black soot on startup, this is why they seem to crank a long time as opposed to the old Diesels that would snap to life with just a nudge of the starter) If it's smoking greyish-white or blueish-white for a couple minutes, it's cold and its normal for that to happen. Gigantic plumes of white or grey smoke that smell odd are a good indicator of coolant getting in the cylinders and plumes of blue smoke are a sign that excess oil is entering. But I'm going to assume that what your seeing/describing is typical for your engine at startup and not a cause for concern if the smoke dissipates when the engine is at operating temp.

My 2 cents,

Tom

·
Premium Member
14,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks , I feel it is normal, just never noticed this much or the things I seeing on either the 2210. either 2305 or the 1026r. I do think on this last fillup I used a different conditioner , may go back to brand I have always used.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
My 1023E used to shoot a puff of black smoke at start-up just about every time. The motor ran just a bit rough at start-up too in the colder weather (30 degrees down to -10 degrees), but always started without the need of a block heater. I actually had a sooty residue on the loader stand (right below the exhaust pipe) after about 20 hours on the machine. I just traded for a 1025R, and I get pretty much the same shot of black smoke at start-up. Hopefully this new one is just as reliable as the 1023E was in the cold.

Simply put... Systems normal, all is good. :good2:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Normal.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,056 Posts
Cold weather would make our 650 sound like a metal bucket of bolts and white smoke. Always ran fine after a short time and never a problem. The colder the weather the worse it was.

·
Premium Member
14,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found out this morning while I was at Fall Carlise the mechanic was stopping at the house to change a power steering hose for me. While talking with the shop foreman asked him if the mechanic could start the tractor and see if it was normal... Just walked in the door a few mins ago and have NO IDEA what he may have found out or if he was even here. I'm guessing either the mechanic left a note on tractor and I'm not walking down to shed to see ,but other wise guessing either it was OK or they ordered a part or he fixed it .... I will find out tomorrow after I go to the shed or call the dealer..
DAH !! :confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looking forward to see what you find out. My 1025r with 50hrs just started the same symptoms as yours over the past couple weeks.

·
Premium Member
14,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hoping to post something around lunch tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
14,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK , just talked to the mechanic, chg power steering hose and changed the fittings so tire wouldn't hit the tire.
Now the engine startup,,normal for newer engines like the 1025r. Deere isn't sending the same amount of fuel on startup and while running so engine will run rough till it gets warm, if I understood the mechanic. He also said we (with 1025r) should be using a little less fuel while running the tractor.

So in the end all is well

Just a note for those that had been following , the main reason why I traded in the 1026r was the mm pto leaking. Well the seals had been replaced guessing 5 times or more over the past 12-18mos. The oil leak was not from around the shaft, it was leaking from the back of the case of transmission.
The seal has rubber on the back side , they was pushing back in place but still needed to do appx another 1/16 -1/8" to make a good seal. They have mower it least at least 6 times not a drop of oil.....

OH Well , got a new tractor, new blower , and I match.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
OK , just talked to the mechanic, chg power steering hose and changed the fittings so tire wouldn't hit the tire.
Now the engine startup,,normal for newer engines like the 1025r. Deere isn't sending the same amount of fuel on startup and while running so engine will run rough till it gets warm, if I understood the mechanic. He also said we (with 1025r) should be using a little less fuel while running the tractor.

So in the end all is well

Just a note for those that had been following , the main reason why I traded in the 1026r was the mm pto leaking. Well the seals had been replaced guessing 5 times or more over the past 12-18mos. The oil leak was not from around the shaft, it was leaking from the back of the case of transmission.
The seal has rubber on the back side , they was pushing back in place but still needed to do appx another 1/16 -1/8" to make a good seal. They have mower it least at least 6 times not a drop of oil.....

OH Well , got a new tractor, new blower , and I match.
So it looks like we could have a new member with a used 1026R complaining about the PTO seal leaking. :)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts