Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine on my 1025r smokes a little when I start the engine the first time after it has been sitting a couple of days. I don't know much about the Diesel engine on this tractor. The smoke concerns me a little a bit. On a gasoline engine if this was happening I would think a little oil has slipped past valve guide seals into the cylinders. But on a brand new engine this should not be happening.

Anybody else out there had this experience?

P.S. I am sure glad for Green Tractor Talk. As a new JD tractor owner I don't know where else I would get the kind of information I am getting here. So far I am not impressed with my dealer. Now that they have my money getting anything from them hasn't been easy. :nunu:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Completely normal for a few (10 seconds or so) of smoke and rough running from a 1025r.

HOWEVER Color of smoke and length of smoking can be important. If you post a video we can certainly give a more accurate impression

Additionally do make certain you do not start the engine until the Glow Plug light goes out :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I guarantee there is not a person here whose 1025 doesn't smoke during a cold start. It's what they do.

I wouldn't worry unless you had excessive blue smoke when working it hard and after its been warmed up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with AJgrn78,

To elaborate a little, diesel engine smoke/exhaust symptoms usually mean:

Blue smoke: oil burning in combustion (maybe okay on cold start, not good on a hot start or when under load.)
White smoke: un-burnt/raw diesel in the exhaust (maybe okay on a cold start on a very cold day, not good on a hot start or under load).
Black smoke: heavy load or maybe incomplete combustion, on a cold start. Black smoke on a hot/warm idle is likely bad injector timing or fueling issue.

Of course, this would be on an engine that does not have a DPF/smog/emissions set up since the smog equipment masks a lot of smoke.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
As others have said, white smoke and rough idle at start is normal. It gets worse in cold weather. If you cycle the glow plugs twice, this will help. Simply turn on the ignition, wait until the glow plug light goes out, then turn off the ignition and right back on, wait until the glow plug light goes out again, then start the engine. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
140 Posts
List of toys: 1998 Cummins Ram (12Valve), 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, the 1025R - and they all do it!! As Ray PA said, when its really cold double cycle the plugs (curiously we do the same with the Dodges and their intake air heaters - no glow plugs). Length and type of symptom determines if you need to call the diesel doctor!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Completely normal for a few (10 seconds or so) of smoke and rough running from a 1025r.

HOWEVER Color of smoke and length of smoking can be important. If you post a video we can certainly give a more accurate impression

Additionally do make certain you do not start the engine until the Glow Plug light goes out :)
Thanks for the tip about the glow plugs. That's a new one for me. That wasn't an issue for the "big" farm tractors I used to drive as a kid. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guarantee there is not a person here whose 1025 doesn't smoke during a cold start. It's what they do.

I wouldn't worry unless you had excessive blue smoke when working it hard and after its been warmed up.
The smoke is only on a "cold" start. I haven't had it long enough to know what it would do in cold weather. It's not blue smoke so I guess I am good there, too. And I have never seen it smoke under heavy load. Out of curiosity, what does blue smoke mean?

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As others have said, white smoke and rough idle at start is normal. It gets worse in cold weather. If you cycle the glow plugs twice, this will help. Simply turn on the ignition, wait until the glow plug light goes out, then turn off the ignition and right back on, wait until the glow plug light goes out again, then start the engine. :bigthumb:
Thanks for the tip on glow plugs. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with AJgrn78,

To elaborate a little, diesel engine smoke/exhaust symptoms usually mean:

Blue smoke: oil burning in combustion (maybe okay on cold start, not good on a hot start or when under load.)
White smoke: un-burnt/raw diesel in the exhaust (maybe okay on a cold start on a very cold day, not good on a hot start or under load).
Black smoke: heavy load or maybe incomplete combustion, on a cold start. Black smoke on a hot/warm idle is likely bad injector timing or fueling issue.

Of course, this would be on an engine that does not have a DPF/smog/emissions set up since the smog equipment masks a lot of smoke.
I am pretty sure it is white smoke I am seeing. I'll pay more attention next time I start it cold. Thanks

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Actually found that sequence and one more off then immediate start while the glows are lit works better. I hear there is a DTAC out that reprogram the dash control panel to keep the glows on for 2 minutes after start. Light still only for 5 or so seconds. Still waiting on a call back from dealer. This is the exact fix I suggested to the tech I spoke with from Mother Deere... go figure.. I ain't on their staff, but maybe should be.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The smoke is only on a "cold" start. I haven't had it long enough to know what it would do in cold weather. It's not blue smoke so I guess I am good there, too. And I have never seen it smoke under heavy load. Out of curiosity, what does blue smoke mean?

Thanks!
Yeah you have nothing to worry about. :thumbup1gif:

If you will be starting it in temps below freezing, I'd recommend having a block heater installed for cold starts, mine makes a HUGE difference in winter.

Blue smoke means burning oil, it's usually only seen in worn engines with leaky valve guides, worn piston rings, or a turbo with a bad seal. Or... if some fella fills his oil too high!

Lawn mowers and other implements that run on gasoline and use a carburetor with a choke to start will fool people into thinking they have problems when they first start them. When you use the choke, it dumps extra gas into the engine to start it which "washes" the layer of oil off the cylinder wall and burns it for a second in a puff of blue smoke.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Glow plugs are just a way of preheating the combustion chamber when the engine is cold. Makes it easier to start. Remember, diesel engines ignite their fuel by the heat of compression. Lots of older diesel engines don't even have glow plugs in the cylinder.

Starting without a "full glow" won't hurt anything. The engine may emit some smoke from incomplete combustion for a few seconds and may take longer to start.

Al

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
My 1026 gives off a bit of white "smoke" starting winter or summer. I tend to believe it's more exhaust system condensation than "cold diesel" as it doesn't "stink". Either way it lasts less than a couple seconds @ idle start. Our V-8 gas Explorer does the exact same thing but lasts longer... longer cold exhaust system to heat up.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Mine certainly smokes every time it starts, but it only lasts about 5 seconds, then she clears up and as others have said, in the winter it's worse.

My dad's 4430 I thought had a strange start up sequence, it would head to about 1/2 throttle then back off. Really special on a winter day in a cold shed, like this:

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you really wanna see white smoke (EMD) or black smoke (ALCO) fire a locomotive! (no start aids installed...) and you're hanging onto the starter switch for 30 seconds til that 2-cycle builds enough compression to bark to life! My youngest has a ritual - she always says "wakey wakey" right before she hears it catch :dunno: - works for her.

For our diesels we have 3 start technologies:
Glow plugs - which used to be start only but now have been modified post-start run aids.
usually they can be cycled twice for frigid weather.
Flame front heaters - a scary affair used on the old Yanmars (750, 850, 755, 855...) that heated fuel AND dripped fuel through a car cigarette lighter affair to toss a flame down the intake manifold:scared: You'd hear a resounding thwump! which meant you could now crank (never liked em). No post-start available..
Intake grid heaters (large disp. tractors, Old Dodge Ram Cummins) set of metal grids in air intake heated air to about 500° for start, then continued to cycle alternately - on the dodges for 2 minutes or til 18 MPH or 1800 RPM. Liked those - in 425,000 miles never had trouble! Could be double cycled at startup for frigid weather. Helluva battery draw (twin batteries, 150A + alternator!)!

with all of these I still got smoke any chilly day! its what they do...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts