Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a sad day. My beloved smoker, that I use a lot, went up in flames. I use this smoker for bacon and brisket mostly, but chickens and pork but too. Today started like every other day that I crank it up. Set the meat out, soak the chips, clean what excess grease that I can get off, of the old girl and put the heat to her. I've used propane smokers for ever. Chips in, temp up I put the brisket in. I use a remote thermometer and after the temperature recovered, I settled in for a long smoke and then the beeping began. The temp shot up quickly. Fire. :thumbsdown: I went to investigate and the chips had caught and were burning. I killed the propane, shut all of the vents and prepared to get the chip tray out. Unfortunately, the fire spread and the grease on top of the water started to burn. It took off from there. All of the hard work seasoning this smoker was going up in flames in front of me. My thermometer peaks at 999 degrees F and it was pegged. It all happened very quickly and I ultimately had to pull the fire extinguisher on it. There were flames about 6 feet out of the top.

I've been doing this a long time and I'm glad that I caught this one as quickly as I did. I lost the smoker, and 7 pounds of brisket, but otherwise, everything is ok.

Reminder, be careful. No matter how long you have been doing something, it can go wrong in an instant.

(Sorry, no action pictures, I was too busy taking care of the situation).

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
That sucks man, too bad, but good the fire never spread.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Sad that you lost the smoker, but thanks for the reminder!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
Thanks for the reminder Bubber, something I never really think about with our smoker.

·
Administrator
17,313 Posts
(Sorry, no action pictures, I was too busy taking care of the situation).
That is quite understandable, but after the fire was out and it was just a smoldering mess would have been a good time no? :laugh:

Seriously, that could have been a real disaster, good thing you didn't leave it unattended!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Bubber, so sorry to hear about this. :empathy3: Thank goodness you were there to put that fire out before it got out of hand.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Glad to hear your ok an you handle the situation quite well!! Send that brisket over to that tree GOONE that your neighbor used!!:nunu:

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the words everyone. I just put this out there because things happen. Maybe I should have soaked the chips longer, maybe I could have removed them quicker, maybe something else. I've got a system down that has worked for hundreds of hours, something was different this time, though. Don't get complacent.

My wife said that this was my way of getting that new smoker that I wanted. I'll say that I'd never ruin $50 of meat to get a $200 smoker. :laugh: I don't use incredibly expensive smokers.

Anyway, here she was this morning just getting rolling. After pics tomorrow.

20141026_085910.jpg

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,203 Posts
My wife said that this was my way of getting that new smoker that I wanted. I'll say that I'd never ruin $50 of meat to get a $200 smoker. :laugh:

Yah, think my wife thinks I messed up my 2210 so I could get the 1026. I didn't really. Really I didn't... :read:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
I have never used a propane smoker, but I will file that away for future reference. I have had a couple unfortunate incidents with my charcoal grill, but nothing like that. I'm glad you kept it contained.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here it is. Went propane again. It is what I know. Can't let one little problem turn you off.

20141029_160527.jpg

It is pretty big.

20141029_160537.jpg

This was the first smoke.

20141030_093422.jpg

I've got a 10 pound pork butt in there now. Hopefully that all goes well. I have bacon to do tomorrow.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
Looks like the one I have Bubber but mine has two doors.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,203 Posts
Wow that is nice! Between you and Gizmo2, when can we expect some meat in the mail? :laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
The description said two doors, the picture showed one. It's ok. from what I've experienced so far it recovers really quickly when you have to open it to add water, or wood.
It does amaze me how fast they recover and how well they keep the temperature. I think the girls got mine at TSC.

·
8,558 Posts
Party this weekend at Bubber's!! Who's bringing the beer?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
What time do we eat. I don't want to be late.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One (M8)

·
8,558 Posts
Thanks, Bubber! I wish y'all were closer! Nothing better than friends, food and beer!! :good2:

But, I think Elvira is retired to the closet for another year. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts