Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My pinion shaft broke due to a rock. Does anybody have any experience changing the shaft ? 190 hours on machine.

Does the gear need to be replaced also ? Even if it did not get damaged ?

Can i change the shaft without spliting the differential ?

Any chance somebody have the instructions they can share with me ?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,188 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
15,961 Posts
Step 1 - purchase a Technical Manual. This is not a repair you want to tackle using word of mouth instructions.

Step 2 - see if your dealer can give you a rough estimate on the repair.

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
The manual shows you must split the differential to remove the pinion shaft from the center section. The pinion gear is an integral part of the shaft. The ring and pinion gears are a matched set and must be replaced together. :-(
Sincerely

·
Registered
13,543 Posts
Hello

My pinion shaft broke due to a rock. Does anybody have any experience changing the shaft ? 190 hours on machine.

Does the gear need to be replaced also ? Even if it did not get damaged ?

Can i change the shaft without spliting the differential ?

Any chance somebody have the instructions they can share with me ?

Thanks
is the warranty run out on ur machine already??? if not i think i would let jd fix it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,457 Posts
Broke it on a rock, dont think warrenty will cover that
It's definitely still worth talking to your dealer, they don't know it was caused by a rock. My dealer has been know to help people out, in some cases even getting the whole repair under warranty, it costs not a thing to talk with them first.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Is it possible to get close-up hi-definition photos of the fracture surfaces? There could have been a pre-existing flaw, or inclusion, or fatigue crack, that initiated the failure. These are sometimes visible under magnification. Just a thought...
Sincerely

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I wouldn’t tell JD anything about hitting a rock or anything else. You don’t know for sure if that caused it either way. Sometimes less is more.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,457 Posts
Reactions: jgayman

·
Administrator
20,883 Posts
Yup, loose trunion bolts caused axle misalignment and subsequent shaft failure from extreme angles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts