Green Tractor Talk banner

Snapped 2018 2038r fwd pinion shaft

Tags
pinion
6K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  JohnJ 
#1 ·
Hello

My pinion shaft broke due to a rock. Does anybody have any experience changing the shaft ? 190 hours on machine.

Does the gear need to be replaced also ? Even if it did not get damaged ?

Can i change the shaft without spliting the differential ?

Any chance somebody have the instructions they can share with me ?

Thanks

#2 ·
#4 ·
Step 1 - purchase a Technical Manual. This is not a repair you want to tackle using word of mouth instructions.

Step 2 - see if your dealer can give you a rough estimate on the repair.

#5 ·
Reactions: PJR832
#6 · (Edited)
The manual shows you must split the differential to remove the pinion shaft from the center section. The pinion gear is an integral part of the shaft. The ring and pinion gears are a matched set and must be replaced together. :-(
Sincerely

#7 ·
is the warranty run out on ur machine already??? if not i think i would let jd fix it?

#11 ·
Damn! No way to like that. Sorry for your pain.

Treefarmer

Reactions: Big
#13 · (Edited)
Is it possible to get close-up hi-definition photos of the fracture surfaces? There could have been a pre-existing flaw, or inclusion, or fatigue crack, that initiated the failure. These are sometimes visible under magnification. Just a thought...
Sincerely

#14 ·
I wouldn’t tell JD anything about hitting a rock or anything else. You don’t know for sure if that caused it either way. Sometimes less is more.

Reactions: PJR832
#22 · (Edited)
Thanks for the photos. I should have been more specific about my request... The photos should be as close up as possible and in focus directly looking at both fracture surfaces. Now having said that, there appears to be corrosion (brown marks) on the fracture surface which would have been internal to the shaft. If this is the case, this part was already in a weakened state and begging to crack where it did. I see no signs of torsional overload, and one sign of a possible fatigue crack initiation point, possibly caused by stress corrosion. Could also be a brittle fracture caused by a bending force (hitting a rock). I am no metallurgist! Better photos would provide a clearer view of the area and we could maybe see more clearer evidence of the crack initiation point.
Sincerely

#18 ·
I bet they fix this under warranty simply because they are now aware of the issue with these tractors and loose bolts/missing bolts.

Reactions: jgayman
#19 ·
Yup, loose trunion bolts caused axle misalignment and subsequent shaft failure from extreme angles.

#21 ·
:unsure::ROFLMAO:

#26 ·
Thanks folks, the dealer has been contacted. Ill know more next week.

Its a clean break so im now questioning myself if it was a rock. Drive shaft has no visible damage.
It was not a rock... it was not a rock... it was not a rock...

Remember Gus from "Apollo 13"? "It just blew!!!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.