Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I attempted to use my 2017 x394 with snow blade to plow about 7" of light snow on my gravel driveway last Friday for the first time. I'd never plowed anything before so it was a learning curve for me. One thing I learned is to either remember, or mark, any immobile objects in my path. This blade has no spring loaded tripping feature, so when you hit something you know it!

Anyway, I ended up hitting a bolted down marker pretty hard and it bent the blade angle locating pin on the remote angling kit I bought with the tractor. After that any pressure on the plow would kick the pin out of the hole, allowing the blade to swivel a full 90 degrees. I've attached a picture of the pin.
PLow Barn 2.jpg Mechanism.jpg Pin.jpg
After racking my brain how to temporarily lock the blade so that I could finish the driveway, and trying 3 different methods, all of which didn't work for more than 10 feet, I gave up, deciding that I would have to replace the pin before trying again. Of course the local dealer didn't have any in stock so I had to order two which will be here in 6 days.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody else had used this blade angling kit and had a better/similar/worse experience?

I was also wondering if I should just bite the bullet and sh*t can the angling kit and go back to the tried and true method of just getting off the seat and just dropping a pin in place by hand? Thoughts?

Thanks, Steve.

P.S. - Also, it seems that there is way excessive "looseness" in the pivot connection between the blade and the black triangular mounting frame that you can see in the pictures. I'm thinking that this is also a contributor to the angle pin popping out; when-ever the blade tilts up and down from side to side, it allows the angle pin engagement to become much less. I'm guessing that this "looseness" is to act like a float for the blade, but it just seems quite excessive. Would it be a bad thing to replace the spring clip retained pivot pin with a shoulder bolt and nut tightened down enough to reduce the blade tilting but still allow swiveling?

·
Premium Member
12,209 Posts
Anyway, I was wondering if anybody else had used this blade angling kit and had a better/similar/worse experience?

I was also wondering if I should just bite the bullet and sh*t can the angling kit and go back to the tried and true method of just getting off the seat and just dropping a pin in place by hand? Thoughts?
Glad to hear that nothing more serious was damaged. Hitting objects with a plow or blower can sure ruin your day. I don't have any direct experience with the blade you have but it seems like even if using a pin in by hand you are still going to have an issue if you hit something and bend the mount.

It looks like the pin-lift mechanism doesn't lift the pin very high and as such they need to use a pin that is just barely long enough.

I think I would go ahead and replace the pin. It appears the mount may also be bent causing the pin to be too short. Is that the case or is it just the camera angle? You could certainly grab a generic pin at some place like Tractor Supply to hold you over until you can get the correct pin.

If you have the tools you might even be able to get a longer pin, cut it off and drill a hole in it to make your own.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to hear that nothing more serious was damaged. Hitting objects with a plow or blower can sure ruin your day. I don't have any direct experience with the blade you have but it seems like even if using a pin in by hand you are still going to have an issue if you hit something and bend the mount.

It looks like the pin-lift mechanism doesn't lift the pin very high and as such they need to use a pin that is just barely long enough.

I think I would go ahead and replace the pin. It appears the mount may also be bent causing the pin to be too short. Is that the case or is it just the camera angle? You could certainly grab a generic pin at some place like Tractor Supply to hold you over until you can get the correct pin.

If you have the tools you might even be able to get a longer pin, cut it off and drill a hole in it to make your own.
Thanks for the input. I didn't think that the mount was bent, but perhaps... I'll have to take a closer look at it. I also thought about making my own (longer) pin. That's one of the options on the table if the replacement stock pins still prove to be problematic.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
There's something screwy with that mount. I haven't figured out what and no way I'd want a plow without a spring loaded break away. There's a lot and I mean a lot of damage that could be done hitting something solid. I have a concrete driveway and don't need it but if I did need it I'd want it, period. :munch:

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
The black part that the pin is in is bent up.See if you can loosen the bolts and move it down,it should help hold the pin in place.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I was trying to figure out what that long 1/2 bolts function is. It appears that it serves no purpose. Ill admit I'm confused. :unknown:

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
The black part that the pin is in is bent up.See if you can loosen the bolts and move it down,it should help hold the pin in place.
I'm with TJR345 and Coaltrain , loosen the bolts or maybe they are already loose and keeping the pin from being the correct length. Since you said the unit is new, guessing the bolts wern't tightened before delivery.

·
Premium Member
12,209 Posts
I was trying to figure out what that long 1/2 bolts function is. It appears that it serves no purpose. Ill admit I'm confused. :unknown:
It and the matching bolt directly in front of it are keeping the black brackets clamped to the yellow plow section.

bolts.jpg

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It and the matching bolt directly in front of it are keeping the black brackets clamped to the yellow plow section.

View attachment 511569
Maybe my old eyes aren't seeing this right but the one on the left doesn't appear to be making contact with any part of the yellow plow.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Is yours the 44" blade?

I can't believe they don't have any trip system. Unless JD wants the plow to trip either left or right.
The cheep Meyer Drive Pro plow works similar. The blade just flops left and right on it's own. Apparently they say you can use it that way. Pushing snow to one side supposedly holds the blade into the windrow.
You can also get it with power angle.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is it possible to install the first long bolt underneath the yellow upwards bracket of the blade? If so, that would allow
the pin to be longer in hole, less chance of the pin popping out. I can not tell the shape of the bracket, if it would allow the first bolt to go underneath allowing the pin to be in a better plane with the positioning holes.
Regards

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
That is a bad design for a blade with it not having a trip system. There is going to be damage of some kind anytime it hits something solid.

I recommend putting a rubber cutting edge on the blade. The rubber cutting does not grab every bump in the surface like a steel cutting edge will.
It also gives some cushion if you hit some larger objects. The best advise I can give is to go slow when plowing in areas where you have not plowed before.

This is what I have used for several years on my JD snow plow blades, that do have the trip system.

Have you tried to straighten the pin? You need a big hammer & a had surface.

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Maybe my old eyes aren't seeing this right but the one on the left doesn't appear to be making contact with any part of the yellow plow.
I took it that the black bracket is just a pressure or sqeeze fit. Those 2 long bolts just put enough pressure on the bracket to hold it in place. Hense it can move easily even if tightened if the plow gets a shock.

Simple enough to loosen the 2 bolts and see if it will slide down into place.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks

Thanks for everybody's input. I'll definitely check out that bracket and how it's positioned and attached. I agree that the blade should have a trip mechanism.

Steve.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That is very odd it doesn't have a spring mechanism. The 48" plows for the X5xx series do. I wonder why JD cheaped out on the 44" blades.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
That is very odd it doesn't have a spring mechanism. The 48" plows for the X5xx series do. I wonder why JD cheaped out on the 44" blades.
My 48" JD plow even has a latch to keep it from tripping. Never actually used it while plowing.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
My 48" JD plow even has a latch to keep it from tripping. Never actually used it while plowing.
That's for moving dirt and other dense material so that it won't trip while moving it.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
That's for moving dirt and other dense material so that it won't trip while moving it.
JD put a warning sticker to that effect on back of the blade. However I don't trust myself bending anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hard to tell from pics , but black piece looks mounted wrong side up ? Front bolt goes through , back bolt just clamps the yellow piece ? It is not sitting flush and that is what bent the pin ?:unknown:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts