Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up me new tractor this weekend! :yahoo:

I think I will go with the Frontier Snow Blade because of the easy attachment and it is very simple to go from blade to bucket if I need to move piles of snow. The manual angle will be a little annoying but I can always add tilt later.

What is your opinion?

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts

I think I will go with the Frontier Snow Blade because of the easy attachment and it is very simple to go from blade to bucket if I need to move piles of snow. The manual angle will be a little annoying but I can always add tilt later.

What is your opinion?
Congratulations on your new tractor. You will like it. Also, welcome to GTT, glad you are here with us.......

:wgtt:

To answer your plow question, let me just say that I plow a LOT of snow, residential driveways in my neighborhood. So, I have plenty of snow plowing experience with the total number of drives I plow each winter between 750 and 1,000 driveway plows (I plow about 24 driveways, each an average of 25 to 40 times a winter).

The manual angle is better than no angle, but if you have plowed snow before, or have a long driveway of complicated area to plow, the ability to hydraulically angle the plow is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT and HANDY. I simply couldn't plow without it. Yes, it adds some cost, but the convenience far outweighs the cost.......

I would make the ability to angle the plow a high priority, you won't regret it. Plus that will also make your tractor grapple ready, which is another very handy implement and feature to have.....

Given the choice of the quick hitch or the FEL mounted plow, you are making the better choice. But let me just say with the ability to angle the plow hydraulically, which just takes a diverter valve and some extra lines and the angle kit on the plow (Total about $1,000 I would say) you are very unlikely to need the bucket to stack snow as the plow blade on the FEL when you can angle it will allow you to stack snow as high as you want.......

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,847 Posts
What's your location joeymjustice. (maybe add your location to your profile)
How much snow do you get per year?

Reactions: jdforever

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,847 Posts
The manual angle is better than no angle, but if you have plowed snow before, or have a long driveway of complicated area to plow, the ability to hydraulically angle the plow is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT and HANDY. I simply couldn't plow without it. Yes, it adds some cost, but the convenience far outweighs the cost.......

I would make the ability to angle the plow a high priority, you won't regret it. Plus that will also make your tractor grapple ready, which is another very handy implement and feature to have.....

Given the choice of the quick hitch or the FEL mounted plow, you are making the better choice. But let me just say with the ability to angle the plow hydraulically, which just takes a diverter valve and some extra lines and the angle kit on the plow (Total about $1,000 I would say) you are very unlikely to need the bucket to stack snow as the plow blade on the FEL when you can angle it will allow you to stack snow as high as you want.......
What he said ↑↑↑
I'd also get the power angle and never look back if I lived in an area that got a lot of snow.

·
Registered
336 Posts
IMO ... the loader mounted snow plow is a wise choice. As for the hydraulic angle option, as convenient as it is, is debatable since it is pricy ... If you just need to push snow and don’t have a reason to roll it to one side much, save yourself a pocket full of jing and go with the manual angle

Reactions: MowJoe and Gizmo2

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's your location joeymjustice. (maybe add your location to your profile)
How much snow do you get per year?
Thank you, I started working on my profile. I'm from Western North Carolina. Not alot of snow, maybe 4-5 snowfalls per year. I have a long steep driveway but also plan to help my neighbors out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations on your new tractor. You will like it. Also, welcome to GTT, glad you are here with us.......

:wgtt:

To answer your plow question, let me just say that I plow a LOT of snow, residential driveways in my neighborhood. So, I have plenty of snow plowing experience with the total number of drives I plow each winter between 750 and 1,000 driveway plows (I plow about 24 driveways, each an average of 25 to 40 times a winter).

Thank you for the welcome and I couldn't be more excited.

I plan on doing a little plowing and salt spreading in the subdivision I live in. I will mostly be using it on my 3 acres to clear property and keeping drains clean.

·
Super Moderator
2,462 Posts
Get a pair of 3" Edge Tamers from R2 Manufacturing also. If you use the bucket to move snow they'll help by not allowing the bucket to tear up the grass. In the summer they're great for the same reason....like getting leaves or dirt off the lawn without tearing up more of the lawn. Under $100 for 2, last I knew.

·
Super Moderator
5,212 Posts

What is your opinion?
Not sure how much you've looked but there are other options for a JDQA plow.

The Deere AF10F-60 60" plow is ~$1.500 with manual angling. My understanding is that the angling kit is another $675.

The HLA SB100060 60" with power angling is ~$1,800. HLA Snow | 1000 SnowBlade

The CTA 60" with power angling is ~$1,700. Loader Mounted Snow Plow - Compact Tractor Attachments

Both of these give you everything the Frontier blade gives you and for a few $$ more you get power angling. You can also get these others in slightly larger (66", 72", etc..) sizes too.

Just food for thought....

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Sullybear has a Mauser cab, which adds about 400 lbs; this has to help with traction, so you should consider that in interpreting different experiences.

This is my snow rig. First, it is the AF10F plow without the hydraulic angle kit. I mostly plow straight because that just works better for my driveway, but the last plow that I had was power angle and I found myself adjusting the angle almost continuously which was nice. Now I just set it and plow away, maybe get out once to adjust the angle if things aren't working for me. I've put some effort into seeing if I could add the hydraulic angle kit, but apparently I got the last version that didn't accept it as an option. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten the angling kit, but it does work for me without it.

For traction and ballast, I have rear weights and loaded tires. I loaded them after the snowfall, so I'm not sure what the impact is, but I did add chains after this picture was taken and highly recommend chains.

I use the Heavy Hitch with 8 weights on the back, facing in. You don't want too much weight on the back; I used to use a 600 lb. ballast box, and that was too much as it lightened up the front end. I have four weights on the front, which helps.

I also added the Original Tractor Cab and some lights, I take it off in the summer.

I also have the block heater as I have an unheated garage and it gets pretty cold around central NY at times. We also get some heavy snows, and I find that plowing at an angle is challenging in some conditions with heavy snow as the angle wants to push you sideways. Sully always says don't use float mode and I usually do, so that may explain my sometimes lack of control during angle plowing (or it might be the heavy cab).

There is lots of advice on here about plowing, Sullybear is probably the best source based on his level of experience with this specific machine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
My tractor of 29 years (prior to my 1025R) had manual angling on the front blade. I survived with it. In icy conditions. you risk falling while getting off the tractor to change the blade angle. I never fell, but I had a few close calls. You will find yourself concocting strange plowing patterns to avoid changing the blade. Rather than just enjoying the plowing, I strained my brain trying to make it work.

My 1025R has hydraulic blade angling. When you have it, you discover how many creative things you can do angling the blade on the fly. I use the angling a lot, and I think it saves a lot of time and yields a better plow job. It would be hard to go back.

Keane

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I'm in SW Ohio and probably get a similar amount of snow as you do, 5 or so times a year. I've got the JD 54" blade with angling kit which was on my x730 until I got a 1025r a few weeks ago. My driveway is about 800 feet long with a large area in front of my barn. I've found the angling blade to be crucial to saving me time and getting the parking areas cleaned up. Either way, congrats on the new tractor!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,847 Posts
Thank you, I started working on my profile. I'm from Western North Carolina. Not alot of snow, maybe 4-5 snowfalls per year. I have a long steep driveway but also plan to help my neighbors out.
Thanks. :thumbup1gif:

My tractor of 29 years (prior to my 1025R) had manual angling on the front blade. I survived with it. In icy conditions. you risk falling while getting off the tractor to change the blade angle. I never fell, but I had a few close calls. You will find yourself concocting strange plowing patterns to avoid changing the blade. Rather than just enjoying the plowing, I strained my brain trying to make it work.

My 1025R has hydraulic blade angling. When you have it, you discover how many creative things you can do angling the blade on the fly. I use the angling a lot, and I think it saves a lot of time and yields a better plow job. It would be hard to go back.

Keane
Good points.
I ran a manual angle for over 20 years and I did fall many times getting off the tractor to angle the blade.
I am sure being from NC joeymjustice could easily get by without the power angle. The question now becomes, does he want to.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure how much you've looked but there are other options for a JDQA plow.

The Deere AF10F-60 60" plow is ~$1.500 with manual angling. My understanding is that the angling kit is another $675.

The HLA SB100060 60" with power angling is ~$1,800. HLA Snow | 1000 SnowBlade

The CTA 60" with power angling is ~$1,700. Loader Mounted Snow Plow - Compact Tractor Attachments

Both of these give you everything the Frontier blade gives you and for a few $$ more you get power angling. You can also get these others in slightly larger (66", 72", etc..) sizes too.

Just food for thought....

Thank you for the input. Those are very interesting, I had only looked at the options that the John Deere dealer had available.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sullybear has a Mauser cab, which adds about 400 lbs; this has to help with traction, so you should consider that in interpreting different experiences.

This is my snow rig. First, it is the AF10F plow without the hydraulic angle kit. I mostly plow straight because that just works better for my driveway, but the last plow that I had was power angle and I found myself adjusting the angle almost continuously which was nice. Now I just set it and plow away, maybe get out once to adjust the angle if things aren't working for me. I've put some effort into seeing if I could add the hydraulic angle kit, but apparently I got the last version that didn't accept it as an option. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten the angling kit, but it does work for me without it.

For traction and ballast, I have rear weights and loaded tires. I loaded them after the snowfall, so I'm not sure what the impact is, but I did add chains after this picture was taken and highly recommend chains.

I use the Heavy Hitch with 8 weights on the back, facing in. You don't want too much weight on the back; I used to use a 600 lb. ballast box, and that was too much as it lightened up the front end. I have four weights on the front, which helps.

I also added the Original Tractor Cab and some lights, I take it off in the summer.

I also have the block heater as I have an unheated garage and it gets pretty cold around central NY at times. We also get some heavy snows, and I find that plowing at an angle is challenging in some conditions with heavy snow as the angle wants to push you sideways. Sully always says don't use float mode and I usually do, so that may explain my sometimes lack of control during angle plowing (or it might be the heavy cab).

There is lots of advice on here about plowing, Sullybear is probably the best source based on his level of experience with this specific machine.

Thank you, so much good information. I will be using a broadcast spreader to salt certain areas so I planned on experimenting with weight by regulating my salt load. I would love to be able to get the job done without using chains but it sounds like for the mountains of NC it may be required. I definitely want to read more about the float mode and understand why I should or shouldn't use it. Since I will be doing multiple driveways I should take a longer look at angling options. I'm just not sure if I can cancel the current order with the dealer so I can look at other plows or if I will just have to add the angling kit later.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. :thumbup1gif:

Good points.
I ran a manual angle for over 20 years and I did fall many times getting off the tractor to angle the blade.
I am sure being from NC joeymjustice could easily get by without the power angle. The question now becomes, does he want to.

I do not lol but I also know I could buy a rotary cutter for the price of angling. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,847 Posts
I do not lol but I also know I could buy a rotary cutter for the price of angling. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
I've come around. Get the rotary cutter. :thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,847 Posts
Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Better yet, buy the rotary cutter now and try using the FEL for snow when the snow gets there.
The Edge Tamers may be just the ticket for you...

https://r2manufacturing.com/products/edge-tamer

R2 Manufacturing is also a vendor here on GTT...
https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/r2-manufacturing/
I definitely will have a set of edgetamers for mostly moving mulch and gravel but will be plowing asphalt mostly and I'm just concerned it will not get it clean enough.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,847 Posts
Keep in mind, having a new tractor and all I'll guess you're not close to not buying other implements.

Reactions: ColonyPark
1 - 20 of 32 Posts