Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of building a snow blade to go on the FEL on my 2520. Has anyone built one or have suggestions? I am starting with a blade that came off a WD45 AC, I ran across it when I was looking for parts for a 3 pt no-till drill I am building for lawn overseeding, but that is a whole different story and project. The blade measures roughly 27" x 83" and I was looking at cutting it down to 20" X 66", if you look close in the pics you can see my chalk marks of where I was thinking of cutting it. My initial thought was to put QT mounts on it and connect directly to FEL. Sometime next year I was planning on buy the Artillian pallet fork frame and then I will probably modify the blade to fit on there and also pivot side to side. Here are some pics of the blade before doing anything with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have been thinking about doing something similar with an old fisher plow I have but thinking more like a snow pusher just not sure if my 2720 will move it it struggled in my driveway last winter with the back blade even with chains on but with the full ballast box had little trouble moving snow with the 60 in loader but would like something a little more efficient

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am debating whether I want to make it just a straight blade or allow it to pivot, In the future I was thinking about putting sides and a top on it and giving it the ability to back drag also, but that may be a while before I get that far. Also not sure one how big I need to have the blade, right now it is really bigger then the tractor needs and if I get into anything other then snow the tractor won't handle it.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,090 Posts
We have quite a few members on here that have fabricated plows to fit their tractors, it's all doable.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have quite a few members on here that have fabricated plows to fit their tractors, it's all doable.
I am just trying to get an idea of how wide and tall other people went with blade wise and did they attach to where it is straight all the time or are they pivoting. I am looking for ideas before I get to far on mine and curious as to what others would of done different on their blade setup if they had to do it over.

·
Administrator
18,514 Posts
Here is a search of "FEL Blade" using the Google search at the top right of the forum.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 2720 pushed that 7'6" plow with no problem in the last snow I just strapped it to the bucket to give it a try next iv gotta make it so I can remove the bucket and make a qa for the plow

·
Registered
357 Posts
I used a 7' meyer truck plow for my build but ended up cutting it down to 5' 8" for my 1025r(this seems like a good width). Generally you would like the blade as close to the tractor as possible. I have mine mounted on a Artillian blank heavy duty frame so it does stick out quite a bit. I have angling capabilities on mine with the use of an Artillian diverter. I had very low expectations as there were a lot of naysayers toward a fel mounted blade. It has actually exceeded my expectations and my only complaint is making sure you get the right plow angle when pushing. What I mean by that is the curling function of the joystick, if it isn't just right it will dig in. Of course this would change if you get a good base of snow on the ground and the temperature stays below freezing. I ordered a 54" front mounted blower about a month ago and kind of wished I didn't as I am getting better with the plow. I have the plow on craigslist for $550 obo to recoup the cost of the frame, couplers and mounting bolts. I would of kept it but switching back and forth between the two implements would be a pain, maybe I should of ordered a rear blower instead. So I say go ahead and build it especially if you won't have much $ in to it.

Reactions: offroad00

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used a 7' meyer truck plow for my build but ended up cutting it down to 5' 8" for my 1025r(this seems like a good width). Generally you would like the blade as close to the tractor as possible. I have mine mounted on a Artillian blank heavy duty frame so it does stick out quite a bit. I have angling capabilities on mine with the use of an Artillian diverter. I had very low expectations as there were a lot of naysayers toward a fel mounted blade. It has actually exceeded my expectations and my only complaint is making sure you get the right plow angle when pushing. What I mean by that is the curling function of the joystick, if it isn't just right it will dig in. Of course this would change if you get a good base of snow on the ground and the temperature stays below freezing. I ordered a 54" front mounted blower about a month ago and kind of wished I didn't as I am getting better with the plow. I have the plow on craigslist for $550 obo to recoup the cost of the frame, couplers and mounting bolts. I would of kept it but switching back and forth between the two implements would be a pain, maybe I should of ordered a rear blower instead. So I say go ahead and build it especially if you won't have much $ in to it.
Thanks for the feedback. I will probably get the blade cut down to size over the Christmas break and after the first of the year when I order my Artillian pallet fork frame and get it in will adapt it over to attach to it. At this point in time I am thinking manual angle adjustment for now and if I like it convert it later. So far we haven't had any snow worth speaking of so I am in no hurry. I am not looking for anything fancy just something to clean out the driveway, I always have the 54" blade on the ATV I can use if needed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You should be okay with the full length. I used a 78" Meyer blade for my 1025R and it pushes snow very well with it. I made it to work on the front quick hitch instead of the loader arms.
If I don't sell my plow I will be stealing your idea.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's okay you can have the idea for free! It's Christmas time!

I have a 47" blower and 52" brush that's why I put the blade on the quick hitch. This makes switching back and forth from blade to blower or brush an easy task.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looking good. It's surprising what a little paint will do! Here's what mine looked like before the make over.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418961305.278170.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418961347.795049.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts