Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen, I am looking for a 54 inch or 47 inch quick hitch snow blower attachment for x739, do both of these blowers have plastic impellers? is one any better than the other, do i need the larger blower because of the size of the x7 series tractor? thanks for your help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Gentlemen, I am looking for a 54 inch or 47 inch quick hitch snow blower attachment for x739, do both of these blowers have plastic impellers? is one any better than the other, do i need the larger blower because of the size of the x7 series tractor? thanks for your help. also is there any other manufacturer that may make a better blower than jd.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yes, the 54/47 both use the same 'plastic' impeller but IMO calling it plastic is a disservice. It's actually something called UHMW which is some pretty tough stuff - a company I worked for used it in material handling applications because it machined like metal and it has great wear properties. Sure, if you take a sledge to it I don't think it will hold up as well as steel, but it was far from 'ordinary' plastic.

Both the 54 and 47 fit your tractor - I don't think one works better than the other, it's a question of what size fits your application/needs. If you really want the metal impeller several people here have done the retrofit - I'm sure they will chime in as to why.

I don't know of anyone else that makes a snowblower for the x7 probably because of the shaft drive which is kind of specific to this series whereas belt drive would be more adaptable to other fitments. For instance BercoMac makes them for the x3/x5 series and a bunch of others.

From the Interwebs:
"UHMW (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) is an extremely tough plastic with high abrasion and wear resistance. The versatility of polyethylene has made it a popular plastic for countless industrial applications that require durability, low friction, and chemical resistance."

·
Premium Member
12,771 Posts
Older versions of the 47" two stage blower will have a steel impeller, in fact, I think all of the 47" blowers come with the steel impeller up until the last couple of years. I don't know where the serial number break is on the change in impeller. But if you look up the blower you can see which impeller its using.

Using the John Deere parts catalog, Look up the model number of the snow blower and see what it is using for an impeller.

Part number AM109105 weighs nearly 13 pounds and costs $425.50 and is the metal impeller.

Part number AM138205 weighs 3.5 pounds and costs $137.23 and is the composite impeller.

Make sure you have the correct Up stop and PTO shaft for your machine as they vary based upon the application.

I have a 47" two stage blower with the upstop and PTO shaft for the x7 series machines, and I also have the Upstop and PTO shaft to put that same blower on the 1 series tractor. JUST understand that the blower will likely be outfitted for the machine on which it was used and you need to verify if that's correct for your machine. The PTO shaft length is critical as damage can occur if the wrong shaft is used.

·
Registered
670 Posts
If you search around here, you’ll find threads that cover the steel impeller retrofit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the 54/47 both use the same 'plastic' impeller but IMO calling it plastic is a disservice. It's actually something called UHMW which is some pretty tough stuff - a company I worked for used it in material handling applications because it machined like metal and it has great wear properties. Sure, if you take a sledge to it I don't think it will hold up as well as steel, but it was far from 'ordinary' plastic.

Both the 54 and 47 fit your tractor - I don't think one works better than the other, it's a question of what size fits your application/needs. If you really want the metal impeller several people here have done the retrofit - I'm sure they will chime in as to why.

I don't know of anyone else that makes one for the x7 probably because of the shaft drive which is kind of specific to this series whereas belt drive would be more adaptable to other fitments. For instance BercoMac makes them for the x3/x5 series and a bunch of others.

From the Interwebs:
"UHMW (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) is an extremely tough plastic with high abrasion and wear resistance. The versatility of polyethylene has made it a popular plastic for countless industrial applications that require durability, low friction, and chemical resistance."
Thanks that is a lot of info, i have read that the steel impeller throws the snow further than the uhmw

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Older versions of the 47" two stage blower will have a steel impeller, in fact, I think all of the 47" blowers come with the steel impeller up until the last couple of years. I don't know where the serial number break is on the change in impeller. But if you look up the blower you can see which impeller its using.

Using the John Deere parts catalog, Look up the model number of the snow blower and see what it is using for an impeller.

Part number AM109105 weighs nearly 13 pounds and costs $425.50 and is the metal impeller.

Part number AM138205 weighs 3.5 pounds and costs $137.23 and is the composite impeller.

Make sure you have the correct Up stop and PTO shaft for your machine as they vary based upon the application.

I have a 47" two stage blower with the upstop and PTO shaft for the x7 series machines, and I also have the Upstop and PTO shaft to put that same blower on the 1 series tractor. JUST understand that the blower will likely be outfitted for the machine on which it was used and you need to verify if that's correct for your machine. The PTO shaft length is critical as damage can occur if the wrong shaft is used.
thanks for the great info

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Older versions of the 47" two stage blower will have a steel impeller..
Thank you for pointing that out, I was assuming we were talking about a new unit but I see used/older JD snowblowers for sale all the time so....he may already have the steel impeller if he's looking at used.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts