Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Father took the 4110 over to his buddies home that is close to the farm to help him clear his driveway. The story goes that he was blowing snow in a rough part of the driveway. He has done this part many times. Then, all of a sudden, without warning or jarring the tractor, the blower popped off and was sitting sideways in front of the tractor.

So... He was able to put it back together, but there is some serious vibration. My 445 has the same blower so he is swapping parts to find the issue. We were at the ski hill tubing, so I have yet to get over and see the carnage.

Something tells me I am not hearing the full story.....:munch:

·
Super Moderator
5,491 Posts
Sounds like it was chewing up a little more than just snow.:D

Greg

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't get it, the snowblower stayed attached the the front quick hitch and the quick hitch disconnected from the tractor, by force. Looks like this might have been an expensive mistake....

·
Administrator
17,513 Posts
Yeah, I think there is a "rest of the story" here as well...I just can't see the QH coming off the tractor if was installed properly. Possibly a pin(s) where lost or even not installed?

The vibe could be as simple as the phasing of the u-joints, or as bad as a bent drive shaft.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, the quick hitch is cracked, the front driveshaft is fubar, and the mid driveshaft is bent.

This is/was a very expensive favor.

I have not got prices on the new stuff since its Sunday. I can just imagine.......:cray:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to DT Greenmonster.....

I have not taken pictures since I do not document every breakdown..... But if you want pictures, I will take them. You visually cannot see the main shaft is bent, but you can see that it is when you turn it on or rotate it.

When I go over the the barn with the parts, I will snap a few pictures for ya:lol:

·
Administrator
17,513 Posts
That really blows Brian...

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That really blows Brian...

:lol: Its a comedy of errors. We have a supposed snow storm coming in tomorrow and sticking around til Thursday. I learned yesterday in Church from my aunt that our plow truck has a hydraulic leak and the part needed is out of stock.

I have no clue yet IF my 445 main drive shaft will work on the 4110, if so, we will be OK, otherwise, I will have a lot of driving to do in the 4520......:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was not able to get it fixed with everything going on. I do have a backblade and loader that I plan to put on tonight and see if I can get things done.....:thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Yeah, that storm is going to hit us first. It was a fun ride in this morning. At least you have enough equipment to compenstate for the break down. It may be inconvenient but you would sure hate to shovel it.

·
Administrator
17,513 Posts
Have you had a chance to do a autopsy on it? I am curious if it was a slow failure from a bad weld possibly or if it was a fast thing-maybe from abuse like ramming snow piles?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have not done anything yet. My dad has been taking things apart for me and telling me what he thinks. From what he is saying, I think that he was moving pretty fast while blowing the snow and he hit an object that would not move.

In one of the conversations he said "that will teach me to slow down"...... I need to get to the farm today somehow, and I will try to get pictures.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
WOW! What a storm. I bet you sure could use that blower. We got about 15 inches with 5ft and above in drifts. I spent 6 hours on the tractor and did 13 driveways, 2 of which are my own. All had 4 to 5 foot drifts. Ended up with $37 and a plate of cookies out or it. None of my neighbors will razz me about my BIG tractor any more. :mocking:

-10 degress this morning, brrrrrrr.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, I did not need it nor would I have used it.....:empathy3:

We had the same, 5 to 6 foot drifts. In some areas you could still see my old tracks from driving around and other area were buried. I had to put the bucket on my tractor and bucket out a pat to the road at my house. 2 hours with the 4520 to clean 300 foot of driveway just to make it passable. I tried to get to the farm, 4x4 with the rear locked and almost got buried in my truck 500 feet from my house.

Last night after the plows made a single path down the road, I went over and used the backhoe to clear it out. Nothing else would have touched it.

I still have not seen the tractor as my dad put it in his heated garage to work on it. From trading parts with my 445, he thinks that the front drive shaft is fubar, and maybe the main one. With my parts, I think its in usable order!?! Dunno, its not on my priority list right now:morning2:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I finally got out there to look at it. My dad has got most of it fixed for me. I still do not see how it could bounce off. As you can see in the pictures, there is just no way unless something was able to wiggle out some pins.

The long drive shaft under the tractor bent and he had it fixed at an automotive drive shaft place in town. You can see on the picture where it was rubbing on a bracket from being bent.

The front quick hitch was welded. He has been out "testing" it in the snow. You can see the rust from the weld. The battery was dead again so I was unable to move it today.

This might be a mystery that I will never figure out.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,513 Posts
This might be a mystery that I will never figure out.

I suspect you are correct...

I am glad to hear that most of it was salvage-able though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts