Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this inexpensive tool for clearing snow blower chutes on Amazon. It was about $10 (search for "chute tool"). The tool is sturdy and entirely plastic so it won't scratch the paint. It came with a holder designed for the handle on a push snow blower, but it was easily modifiable for my tractor. I had to cut off 4 mounting nubs with a hacksaw and re-drill the mounting holes to accommodate an 8-32 screw. I used 4 of these (3/4" long), 4 lock nuts, and 4 small fender washers to mount the tool on the chute hydraulics cover. I peeked into the hole on the hydraulics cover where the hoses go in to confirm that my added hardware is nowhere near the mechanisms under the cover.

I decided to mount it on the snow blower because I didn't want to have to walk back to the garage if there was a jam. I thought about mounting on the steel upper deck of the snow blower, but if I decide I don't like it or it breaks, I don't want the holes in the steel. By mounting it on the hydraulics cover, worst case I have to replace the plastic cover if I make a change in the future. The black tool blends into the cover pretty well.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Slick "special purpose tool" and mounting! My tool of choice is a $2.39 toilet cleaning brush hanging from a dog leash snap connected to my chute revolver crank. Tacky, yes, but so very efficient.:laugh:

(My brush started out in '96 hanging from my Snapper 8/26 walker and graduated to the 42" blower on the GX and is so old that the bristles are only stubs, but it still looks cool hanging there.):laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Funny, I never had a need for a tool like that for my machine. But, you did a nice job mounting it. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
14,917 Posts
I use a little gardening shovel tool or a piece of 1x2 about 14" long. Only need to do this when temps are around 30° + and snow is melting . Packs in like a large solid ice cube.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
12,784 Posts
Randy, I fully agree with your statement. As for clean up once done, I "had" one of my kids plastic sandbox hoe's which worked great for cleaning off all the snow.
Same here. 54" front-mounted (steel impeller) on the 2720 has never clogged even when throwing slushies. I always run WOT.

·
Corndog Hater
11,779 Posts
Randy, I fully agree with your statement. As for clean up once done, I "had" one of my kids plastic sandbox hoe's which worked great for cleaning off all the snow.
I too don't have any problems with the chute clogging. And, I too use one of my boys old (outgrew the sandbox---1 less thing to mow around:lol:) plastic sand tools to clean off before pulling back into the garage.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Gang, maybe the trick is to keep your RPMs up and feed the machine slow. Anything else may cause these issues being spoken here. Just thinking out loud. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Premium Member
14,917 Posts
Gang, maybe the trick is to keep your RPMs up and feed the machine slow. Anything else may cause these issues being spoken here. Just thinking out loud. :thumbup1gif:
I was at 3100 not 32 OK and not going fast across the drive.. not a craw but Darn near there . Has happened with the steel or the new plastic impeller.
Just saying. When it is a slushy with about twice the water... Going out in a few minutes to blow ,,slush is at the edge of the drive. :snow::dunno:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
For cleaning a blower or plow after use, you just can't beat a high volume/speed leaf blower! I've got a Stihl BG85(6?) and it cleans everything but the iced on stuff. Down in and around the quick hitch, inside the back of the blade and all over on/in the snow blower. It really takes it off. A small stick to loosen the ice and the blower will send it.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A couple of weeks ago we had a whopper of a snowstorm. In the 21 years we have lived here, I haven't seen a snow as deep and wet as this one. 18 inches was probably the average depth, but we always get wind with our snow so the drifting was significant. My neighbor to the east had 4 foot drifts in front of their garage doors. My drift cutters don't go that high. To add to everyone's problems, the association plows our roads for big storms and they had to hit it multiple times to keep up with it. We all had 3 foot piles of heavy, wet snow at the ends of our driveways. I spent 5 hours out the first day clearing all or part of 7 homes. I was back out a second day to finish the job.

Somewhere the first day, my chute cleanout tool was a casualty of the job. It sits on top of my snow blower in a bracket, and the high snow pulled it loose. It fell into the blower and went on through. I think I know which "thunk" was the chute tool, but I pick up rocks occasionally so I'm not sure. After we got some melting, I found the ends about 3 feet from each other in the ditch in front of my house. The body was across the street about 40 feet away. I had thought the tool was all plastic, but I now know that there's a metal core in the body.

I can fix a lot of things, but the fix for this was a new one. Amazon wants $34, but Walmart had the identical tool for $11.
I ordered a replacement. It looks better in one piece.

To prevent this from happening again, I've added a gear tie to be a keeper to restrict the tool to its bracket. It will take a little more effort to access it, but maybe I can keep it in one piece.

With the new tool came another bracket. I mounted this on my blade because I use the same tool to clean the blade before bringing it back into the garage.

I only needed the tool once during this last storm . I've learned that clogging the chute generally occurs with low volumes of wet slush. When I have to clear a clog, I always let the blower run without anything coming into it for a few minutes to keep it from freezing. Then I turn off the engine and switch the PTO to "rear PTO". This is my double safety system I use before I reach inside the blower. What the blower did to the tool should be a clear warning to make sure the blower is completely disabled when reaching inside.

After clearing the clog, I make sure I can turn the augur by hand. (I can only do this because the PTO selector is at "rear PTO".) This ensures that the mechanism is not frozen and that there won't be a shock to the engine when I start it up again, and avoid breaking a shear bolt. When I start the engine back up and engage the PTO, I know it will start up smoothly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts