Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 LX172 JD lawn tractor. I just hooked up the snow blower and it's not working correctly. With the blower raised, the blower turns on but when I lower the blower, it turns off. I looked underneath and when the blower is raised, the belts are tight and when I lower the blower, the belts are loose. Could someone please tell me what I did wrong?

Thank you,

·
Registered
667 Posts
I do not have this any more but there is a spring/lever that keeps tension on the belt you can see it in this picture.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The spring is working fine and I do have it locked in to tighten the belt. This is frustrating because I can't figure out what is going on. It works fine with the blower up, then when put down to the ground, the blower quits.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
maybe set the blower down and tighten the spring as much as possible?
how old is your spring? maybe it needs to be replaced with a bigger, stronger spring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will set the blower down and tighten the belt tensioner. I am probably going to pull it off and check the routing of the belt. By the way it looks, the belt only goes on one way.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Do you have a manual on the snow thrower?

Here's an online version.

Installing

·
Registered
667 Posts
I just have to ask is the belt moving in both the up and down position? If not maybe you have a shear pin problem.

Doug

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The belt loosens up when the blower is put down. It looks like there is an adjustment on the tensioner, maybe I through this off when I took the blower off in the spring.
The blower worked perfect when I removed it in the spring. The belt is slipping on the engine pulley because it's not tight enough when it's down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of your help. The owners manual above really helped. There is a bolt on the back of the blower mount that tightens the belts. Mine was off about one inch. I loosened one pulley as described in the manual and tightened the bolt and now everything works like it should.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Thanks for responding with your results.

:good2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do have one more question. How tight should the belt be? I thought I smelled the belt when I had it running. The belt felt warm but not hot and I did not see any smoke.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I haven't read the entire installation manual. I would think that the belt tension is mostly controlled by the spring on the tensioner.

I would look at the belt under tension(engine off) and make sure that the belt isn't contacting any of the guards (L-shaped brackets) that keep the belt from coming off the pulley(s) when the belt is no longer under tension. Sometimes those angles change and the guards will change enough to contact the belt when under power.

View attachment 92353

Like item 9 on the above.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well... now I have it working correctly. It ends up that I had the front part of the belt routed incorrectly. The top belt should be running through the pulley and the bottom part of the belt should be running underneath the pulley. This is where my inch of play was coming from. I now have the belt routed correctly and I put the tensioner settings back to where they were at the beginning. I am guessing the person I bought this from around a year and a half ago had the belt on the wrong way the entire time or some how (but hard to believe) it got miss-routed when I removed the blower last spring. The small pulley in front was on tight and it would take a lot of work to get the belt off without loosening the pulley. Before I corrected the routing, the top belt was rubbing on the heat shield on top by the engine / Exhaust.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts