Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeing many snow blowers for the 420-318 with the belt drive system for sale,... very reasonable. I have a 4110 that uses a drive shaft for blower operation. I am wondering with a bit of magic if a person could remove the pulley , add a couple flex joints, a drive shaft length, and have it turn the proper speed. I think the blower would attach with existing mounts and lift cylinder. It is tempting because I am seeing these blowers complete for less than one thousand dollars. Limited usage makes the gear box and internals near bullet proof.
Any experience ? Love a good challenge.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you price out your parts, you'll see it won't make much financial sense.
Unless you see something I don't ................ I have stock for the shaft and two complete universals plus a locking ring connector for the tractor stub shaft. A 12" metal engine lathe and milling machine to fit and slot parts correctly. The hydraulic cylinder attaching unit appears identical. If need be a cutting wheel and mig welder will provide encouragement. Other than that I see zero costs.
I built a loader, bucket, forks, all metal cab with tempered glass, and a grass / leaf vacuum. Pretty familiar with modifications.

·
Registered
700 Posts
See, that's pretty relevant information. :laugh:

Most folks contemplating that stuff are like me, a $99 drill press and a couple air tools. :mocking:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First question is, do the belt drive and shaft drive units spin at the same speed?
That is the only part I have not researched. If I knew the auger travel distance with one complete turn of the shaft between both blowers it would be the deciding factor. Considering JD's price on a new blower with the quick hitch ( probably over 3500 ) when I locate a good condition belt drive unit 8 to a grand I think it would be worth the chance. Could always discount it a bit and sell it to a 455 owner. Look what one loses in a year on a new car purchase. The more I think, the more intriguing the task becomes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See, that's pretty relevant information. :laugh:

Most folks contemplating that stuff are like me, a $99 drill press and a couple air tools. :mocking:
You are absolutely correct. There are those who make things happen and those who watch things happen. Different strokes. I volunteered for the Marines and served in the far east, mid 60s infantry. Would you like to chime in with your service contributions ? Don't leave out any details. I'm sure your participation was meaning full.

·
Registered
700 Posts
You are absolutely correct. There are those who make things happen and those who watch things happen. Different strokes. I volunteered for the Marines and served in the far east, mid 60s infantry. Would you like to chime in with your service contributions ? Don't leave out any details. I'm sure your participation was meaning full.

Application was rejected. High blood pressure. Hereditary.

To this day, I still remember getting that letter of rejection, on my 19th birthday, no less.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts