Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 54" blower mounted on a 2305 tractor. It is my only tool for clearing my 1300 foot gravel driveway. It seems to break sheer bolts very easy. Has anyone tried grade 8 bolts instead of the grade 5 bolts?

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
I have a 54" blower mounted on a 2305 tractor. It is my only tool for clearing my 1300 foot gravel driveway. It seems to break sheer bolts very easy. Has anyone tried grade 8 bolts instead of the grade 5 bolts?
I wouldn't try grade 8 bolts unless you want to break the thing. Just think of replacing the gear box... what's that around 8 bills? Stick with the grade 5's even though you seem to shear a lot of them.. Maybe lower your wear shoes if stones are the issue? I doubt you will find anyone using grade 8 shear bolts.. I was surprised to hear they were grade 5's!! Good luck.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
^^^^^^^^^2x^^^^^^^^^^tractor supply has grade 2....I would use them, pain to change out but protects equipment. Which ones are snapping auger or impeller. Besides lowering skids to help with stones, could speed/ feedrate be an issue?

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
Are you breaking the auger bolts or the impeller bolt? Can you identify why the bolts are breaking? Are you hitting stones or other hard objects?

I have the 54" blower also. This is my 5th season with it. I have a long gravel driveway and I also clear 4 other driveways. One year we had over 24" and I cleared off my entire yard with the blower. I have never broken a shear bolt (knock on wood).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is the auger bolts that are breaking. They are even breaking when I hold the blower a few inches off the ground and try to clear snow. I think I found the problem. The bolts I have are grade 5 but threaded all the way. The pictures I see online show a shouldered bolt. The charts I found show the shoulder would be much stronger then the threaded bolt I was using.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
It is the auger bolts that are breaking. They are even breaking when I hold the blower a few inches off the ground and try to clear snow. I think I found the problem. The bolts I have are grade 5 but threaded all the way. The pictures I see online show a shouldered bolt. The charts I found show the shoulder would be much stronger then the threaded bolt I was using.
Good luck with this issue, as mentioned maybe the feed rate and heavy wet snow is also causing this???? I Have never broken a shear bolt but now that I said it.................. I've had hidden branches go right thru the blower and never broke a bolt. Lucky? Maybe. I'm knocking on my desk right now!

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
Are you using the OEM JD shear bolts and nuts? There are four spares mounted on the blower housing. After that they are only $0.75 (bolt+nut) from JD dealer.

Part Number:
19H1914
Part Price: 0.46 USD Each

shear_bolt2.jpg

·
Registered
334 Posts
I agree something isn't notmal. I have only broke one or 2 in the last 10 years, and thar was when engaging the pto. Is your driveway big rocks? Mine is primarily limestone screenings.

Reactions: PJR832 and tj1

·
Premium Member
14,916 Posts
I've broken shear bolts over the years , mainly going to fast and going into snow that had melted and refrozen like a brick.

Please don't use grade 8 or you will really be replacing a lot more than shear bolts. Use shoulder bolts and here lately I been using a nylon lock nut instead of just tightening the bolt or putting on two nuts to get it tightened. Using the nylon lock nut seems to work the best, along with going a tad slower in heavy or frozen snow, such as near a main road and torn by a plow truck. I've used the blower now going on 4 winters and have only broken 1 shear bolt, knock on wood., I have a 47 not a 54 but believe same animal just a tad wider. :laugh: :dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
I think for these I would go to the dealer. Full threaded or shoulder or grade all play into it. I am sure the mechanical engineers who design them take the differences in torque a certain size and model can handle, hence the different styles.

The diagram above shows a shoulder, I picked some up at the dealer today and they were threaded all the way up. They are marked grade 5 but also have a S stamped in. A lot of manufacturers do stamp there logo on the head so perhaps that is what the S is, seemed strange though it is a sheer bolt and it is marked S.

Attachments

·
Registered
827 Posts
The "Parts Diagram" above is a generic picture Deere uses. It could be for a 1/4"x 1" shear bolt or a 1"x 5" bolt holding a dozer undercarriage. The "Specifications show length "C" to be 1" and thread length "D" to be 7/8". The 7/8" will also be usable or full thread, so you'll find imperfect/non-usable thread for that last 1/8". I'd ne willing to bet the Engineer(s) calculated the shear strength of the bolt based on the minor diameter of the 1/4" thread, as this is what is at the "shear zone" between the driving and driven plate of the auger.
I've used a model 49 show thrower for 35+ years and have sheared 2 bolts. One when I got too close to an old foundation along my driveway and "found" a 10-12" stone, and two, when I charged the snow the plows piled at the end of my driveway only to find it mostly ice! I later found if I just bearly creaped into that, the auger would knaw its way through...slow, but effective.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The problem I am having is with my 54" blower busting the auger sheer bolts. I am clearing a 1300' gravel driveway but I am holding the blower 2" off the gravel surface. I am seeing very little gravel being picked up. The snow was a very light powdery snowfall about 8" deep. One storm 6 sheer bolts!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Under stated conditions that is excessive.....how old is blower, how long have you had it?
Did something change? Is impeller bent or catching something?

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I agree something isn't notmal. I have only broke one or 2 in the last 10 years, and thar was when engaging the pto. Is your driveway big rocks? Mine is primarily limestone screenings.
Should not break from engaging pto. Engage at idle only. Awful shock on the driveline otherwise.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Corndog Hater
11,778 Posts
Under stated conditions that is excessive.....how old is blower, how long have you had it?
Did something change? Is impeller bent or catching something?

I agree, any unusual noises while running the blower?

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
The problem I am having is with my 54" blower busting the auger sheer bolts. I am clearing a 1300' gravel driveway but I am holding the blower 2" off the gravel surface. I am seeing very little gravel being picked up. The snow was a very light powdery snowfall about 8" deep. One storm 6 sheer bolts!
There is something totally out of whack with your blower; 2" off the ground, powdery snow and shearing 6 bolts! That's unheard of.. If you disconnect the driveshaft from the tractor can you turn the augers easily? Is it always the same bolt you are replacing? I'm trying to get my head wrapped around this and can't figure out why this is happening to you, it makes no sense. These blowers are strong. As a last resort call your local dealer and see if they can help with this, possible one of our people out there like FRANK can shed some light on your problem.. PM him, he's superglidesport and a mod. Frank has forgotten more than some of us know about JD's and blowers. I'm sure he will not mind at all.. Jeff Remember though, one little rock can shear the bolt.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Unhooked from pto grabbing inmpeller is there any excessive movement? Front to back, or worse side to side
Are auger-blades hitting it?

·
Registered
967 Posts
(Just my Two-Cents) I usually go through two Sheer Bolts per season. I use the John Deer ones from the dealer. They are a light Green in color. This season has been particularly tough here. Last year on another thread I had to rebuild my 54" blower and had to re-weld the back of the blower where the PTO drive goes through it to the blower gears. Anyway, This year was the year to put it through the paces.... Being that we received a good dump and a Tree Stump jumped in front of the blower Gear housing directly between the two augers. that broke the Short PTO drive that is attached to the Blower. Sheer Bolts were still intact. Just lost the PTO shaft. Mother Deere Price..... $450 out the door.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
(Just my Two-Cents) I usually go through two Sheer Bolts per season. I use the John Deer ones from the dealer. They are a light Green in color.
It sounds like you dealer is selling you generic bolts. My dealer has lots of bins full of generic light green bolts. The P/N for the factory shear bolt for the 47" and 54" blower is 19H1914. According to the part specification the finish is "B" which means Zinc - electro plated.

The factory shear nuts are M40333, which are nylock lock nuts with the same "B" zinc electro plating.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts