Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished the install of the 54" Snow Blower on the 1025R. Ther are a couple weird things that I noticed.

#1-The impeller in the back of the blower is plastic. Yikes! The 47" blower I had on my 445 was steel. The drum around the impeller on my 47" had major grooves cut into it from stones (stone driveway) getting caught between the impeller and the drum. It wore the steel drum very thin in some spots. I figured that JD decided to go to a plastic impeller so stones etc. would sacrifice the impeller edges instead of the drum. The impeller can be replaced and the drum can't. I hope it's good plastic because even the edges of the steel impeller on my old one had the edges all gashed up from stones.

#2- It only came with one drift piece that bolts to the end of the blower. Even the instructions say that on the 1023 and 1026 that you only install one drift piece and you put it on the right side. What is the reasoning for only one and then only on the right side?

#3- I installed the cable as per the instructions for the blower chute and then connected the hyd lines as per color. I fired it up and I assumed that if I push the joy stick to the right, the chute would go to the right and left would go left, but it is the opposite. The joystick goes to the right and the chute turns to the left and vise versa. My son said, lets just switch the two hyd lines, so we switched black to yellow and yellow to black, then it would go to the left only and nothing else. That seemed so weird. I can get used to it, but it just seems odd that it would be that way. For you guys with blowers, does your joystick go one way and the chute the other?

If I am doing anything wrong, please let me know!

Also jumped the red and orange wires on the PTO switch, so I did not install the sensor on the blower. That way it will solve the issue for the blower and the mower this spring.

They are calling for 6-9 inchs of snow tonight, so I am hoping to try our this snow blowing monster soon!! Thanks Guys!!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Just finished the install of the 54" Snow Blower on the 1025R. Ther are a couple weird things that I noticed.

#1-The impeller in the back of the blower is plastic. Yikes! The 47" blower I had on my 445 was steel. The drum around the impeller on my 47" had major grooves cut into it from stones (stone driveway) getting caught between the impeller and the drum. It wore the steel drum very thin in some spots. I figured that JD decided to go to a plastic impeller so stones etc. would sacrifice the impeller edges instead of the drum. The impeller can be replaced and the drum can't. I hope it's good plastic because even the edges of the steel impeller on my old one had the edges all gashed up from stones.

#2- It only came with one drift piece that bolts to the end of the blower. Even the instructions say that on the 1023 and 1026 that you only install one drift piece and you put it on the right side. What is the reasoning for only one and then only on the right side?

#3- I installed the cable as per the instructions for the blower chute and then connected the hyd lines as per color. I fired it up and I assumed that if I push the joy stick to the right, the chute would go to the right and left would go left, but it is the opposite. The joystick goes to the right and the chute turns to the left and vise versa. My son said, lets just switch the two hyd lines, so we switched black to yellow and yellow to black, then it would go to the left only and nothing else. That seemed so weird. I can get used to it, but it just seems odd that it would be that way. For you guys with blowers, does your joystick go one way and the chute the other?

If I am doing anything wrong, please let me know!

Also jumped the red and orange wires on the PTO switch, so I did not install the sensor on the blower. That way it will solve the issue for the blower and the mower this spring.

They are calling for 6-9 inchs of snow tonight, so I am hoping to try our this snow blowing monster soon!! Thanks Guys!!
I can help with #1 and #3.

Yes......the impeller is plastic. Don't worry about it..........you shouldn't have any issues. As far as the joystick............if you move it too far right.......it goes in "regen" mode and won't turn your chute. Be gentle and move it only about halfway and you shouldn't have any problems. :good2:

·
Administrator
18,340 Posts
#1: This was a huge deal when they first came out that way a few years ago, but I've read of no reported failures here or on TBN. I am sure if they where breaking, we'd be hearing about it.

#2: Why does it only come with one drift cutter now? To save money, JD that is-not you! You can purchase another one and add it to the left side, the holes are already there.

#3: Yup, regen as sterling mentioned, read more here if you'd like: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/hydraulics/749-what-regen-regenerative-function-front-end-loader-valve-read-here-;.html
Just move the dust caps on the blower side so the colors match up, no biggie.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Good morning Gardner,

Regarding #3, the hydraulics should be set up so the direction you move the joystick is the direction the spout moves including up and down. Does raising and lowering the blower work correctly? I know on our 54 snowblower and 2520 none of the colors between the blower and the tractor match. I am not sure if the helps you but this is how ours meet.

Tractor black (1) - Snowblower yellow
Tractor yellow (2) - Snowblower grey
Tractor red (3) - Snowblower black
Tractor blue (4) - Snowblower green

Maybe this info might help.

Best of luck,
Doug

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Once again you guys came up w/ something I never really thought about....joystick to right, chute to right, ect. So either it is set up correctly or...Now I am going to have to remember to check this function out tomorrow or monday AM when I do the driveway yet again...Unless the suspense starts to get to me then I will trot out to the shed after coffee and try it out....:unknown:

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yes......the impeller is plastic. Don't worry about it..........you shouldn't have any issues. As far as the joystick............if you move it too far right.......it goes in "regen" mode and won't turn your chute. Be gentle and move it only about halfway and you shouldn't have any problems. :good2:
Thank God for you!! I never would have figured that out. It made perfect sense after I read the link you listed. I switched the 2 hyd. hoses for the chute again and it works perfect now as long as I don't force it all the way to the right. So now, right is right and left is left. With the tractor shut off, I moved the joystick to the right and it feels real smooth and then when you get about 3/4 of the way, I could actually feel it move something inside the valve, which must be the Regen part.. I don't now what I'd do without this website. It has solved every single little glitch or question I have had. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts

#1-The impeller in the back of the blower is plastic. Yikes! The 47" blower I had on my 445 was steel.
#2- It only came with one drift piece that bolts to the end of the blower.
#3- I installed the cable as per the instructions for the blower chute and then connected the hyd lines as per color. I fired it up and I assumed that if I push the joy stick to the right, the chute would go to the right and left would go left, but it is the opposite. The joystick goes to the right and the chute turns to the left and vise versa.
1. I have not heard any reports of failures of the plastic impeller but I was not impressed with the performance of mine as compared to my 15-year old MTD 33" 13HP walk-behind blower. This past summer I swapped out my plastic impeller and installed the metal impeller like that used on the 47 inch blower. It blows snow much better now. I clean 5 driveways in the neighborhood. Three of them are gravel and two are paved.

2. My 54" came with two drift bars. My understanding is the 47-inch is supposed to come with one and the 54-inch with two. I have no idea what the logic is of one drift cutter.

3. Logic dictates that moving the joystick to the right should move the chute to the right. Below is a photo showing how the 54" blower hose colors match up to my loader ports.

A70D8801.jpg

Did you get the remote spout control for your blower? I cannot imagine using the blower without it.

One thing that bothers me about the 54" blower is that it appears like the front gear box cannot be repaired. The 47-inch shows a complete breakdown of parts available for the gearbox whereas the 54-inch shows just one part which is the complete gearbox assy for $900. Has anyone seen anyplace that shows individual parts available?

Reactions: sterling40man

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I have 2 drift cutters on my 54" blower. Could be my dealer just adds the second one. :unknown:

The plastic impeller seems fine. My Ariens 1336 pro does throw snow noticeably farther than the Deere. The Deere works much better over all. :thumbup1gif:

The hoses for the shoot my need to be swapped.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
jgayman, Is the remote spout control a JD option or who makes it?
It is a JD option. It must be a big secret because they rarely offer it to new snow blower buyers. I originally learned about it from these forums and then had to ask for it when I bought the blower.

There is a specific kit for different tractors. The basic assy is the same but it will come with a different handle bracket depending on the model of tractor. My 2720 uses a bracket that attaches to the floor board whereas I believe some of the 1-series attaches to side of the console somewhere.

If I recall the kit was around $140. Pricey but well worth it.

Below are some photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
947 Posts
jgayman, Is the remote spout control a JD option or who makes it?
Gardner,

The JD PN for the remote spout control is BM20960. Below are a couple of links including one from Green Farm Parts who is a vendor here.
John Deere REMOTE SPOUT CONTROL KIT BM20960
Remote spout cap control kit (optional)

There has been previous discussions here at GTT regarding this spout control:
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/3057-still-need-shoot-deflector-thingy-1026-blower-anyone.html
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/medium-frame-compact-utility-tractors-mcut/5812-disappointed-jd-remote-spout-control.html

Some of us have taken a different route and went with an electric actuator. Below is the thread I did for my install. Again, this wasn't my own idea but from others who were kind enough to post their installs.
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/1976-jd-2320-electric-actuator-snowblower-ii.html

Good luck with whichever route you decide to go.

Also, I am not sure why they come with or without 2 drift cutters. Again it could be as Kenny mentioned to save costs. Below is a link and PN for the drift cutter. Maybe you could swing something with the dealer.
John Deere Parts Online at Discount Prices from Green Farm Parts

Doug

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
"Won't throw snow as far as a walker"? "Plastic impeller"? I'm having strong 2nd thoughts about ordering a snowblower for my 1026 for next season. I have a 42" "thrower" on my GX that WILL throw snow as far as a walking blower (and blow slush way better too), maybe I'll just keep it hooked on there instead of "upgrading" the 1026...

All of you 102X guys are running your various sized blowers @ WOT, right?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I do on the 2305,(WOT), but also steel impeller and it will throw anything just fine.....

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
"Won't throw snow as far as a walker"? "Plastic impeller"? I'm having strong 2nd thoughts about ordering a snowblower for my 1026 for next season. I have a 42" "thrower" on my GX that WILL throw snow as far as a walking blower (and blow slush way better too), maybe I'll just keep it hooked on there instead of "upgrading" the 1026...

All of you 102X guys are running your various sized blowers @ WOT, right?
Keep in mind my walk behind is a commercial unit, 36" cut, 13hp. One of the best made, not some box store junk. It easily throws snow 30 -40'. My 1026/54" blower throws snow 20 - 30 '. And yes, I run WOT.

The plastic impeller seems ok. I have a gravel driveway and have run a fair amount of stones, and ice through my 54" blower. Other than some missing paint inside the chute , the blower is holding up fine.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
So are those drift cutters just pieces of metal that stick up to cut into deep snow to help it fall in front of the thrower? I would say if you are making two passes to open a lane, you would normally travel with the flow of traffic (on the right-hand side of the road here in the U.S.). So only the right side of the blower would be in the bank after the first pass, so the left side would never need a cutter. If I was an accountant at JD, that is why I would only include one with the thrower.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
So are those drift cutters just pieces of metal that stick up to cut into deep snow to help it fall in front of the thrower?
That is correct. Actually, I think we make too much fuss over them. I've had drift cutters on all my previous walk-behind blowers for 40 years and now on this 54". I can probably count on one hand the number of times I actually needed them. I cannot count the number of times they resulted in nearly tearing myself a new one by stumbling into them in the dark garage or while trying to walk around them in the icy snow.

The drift cutters on the 54" have limited functionality anyway as they stand straight up vertical. The best design I ever had was on my old MTD 33" walk-behind where they stuck out in front of the blower face at an angle so any snow they shaved off would actually fall into the auger instead of falling on top or behind the blower (i.e. 54").

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is correct. Actually, I think we make too much fuss over them. I've had drift cutters on all my previous walk-behind blowers for 40 years and now on this 54". I can probably count on one hand the number of times I actually needed them. I cannot count the number of times they resulted in nearly tearing myself a new one by stumbling into them in the dark garage or while trying to walk around them in the icy snow.

The drift cutters on the 54" have limited functionality anyway as they stand straight up vertical. The best design I ever had was on my old MTD 33" walk-behind where they stuck out in front of the blower face at an angle so any snow they shaved off would actually fall into the auger instead of falling on top or behind the blower (i.e. 54").
I probably don't even need drift cutters, but they look cool. :yahoo: But only having it on one side looks like a one eared cat!

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Must be nice not to need drift cutters. Mine get used often. I think Deere should make the 54" blower taller than it is. 20" is just too short, Its common for me to have 2-3' drifts in my yard, and it doesn't even need to snow to get them. Just get windy with snow on the ground and my driveway / road will drift over.:nunu:

·
Registered
3 Posts
impeller problems

WishI didn't have to worry about the plastic impeller! Live outside of Erie Pa in the snow belt, I have a 54 in blower on the front of my 2520 (3 years old now). I blow almost daily here as we get well over 150 inches a year here, sometimes more. Currently I have a tunnel down my 300 ft paved driveway that is well over 45 inches high. THe other day while getting into the side walls of the snow to move back the drifts I lost my impeller. First thought was I lost a shear pin but noticed my auger was still turning. I pulled back into my garage to see the chute was clogged, I took a stick and removed the clog to find the shear pin to my impeller was intact. I then dug into the impeller area and first think I saw was it was indeed plastic and free spinning on the shaft. I called my JD store and they seemed unaware of any problems. Since then I have looked into this and do see some issues maybe not a bad as mine, but they are there. Long story short a replacement plastic one approx. 70 bucks , metal about $260. Sucks to see this JD will probably change back to a metal one soon. Don't really use the tractor for any thing other than blowing now had to take the blower off and put the loader back on. Not real happy with my JD now!!!

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
WishI didn't have to worry about the plastic impeller! Live outside of Erie Pa in the snow belt, I have a 54 in blower on the front of my 2520 (3 years old now). I blow almost daily here as we get well over 150 inches a year here, sometimes more. Currently I have a tunnel down my 300 ft paved driveway that is well over 45 inches high. THe other day while getting into the side walls of the snow to move back the drifts I lost my impeller. First thought was I lost a shear pin but noticed my auger was still turning. I pulled back into my garage to see the chute was clogged, I took a stick and removed the clog to find the shear pin to my impeller was intact. I then dug into the impeller area and first think I saw was it was indeed plastic and free spinning on the shaft. I called my JD store and they seemed unaware of any problems. Since then I have looked into this and do see some issues maybe not a bad as mine, but they are there. Long story short a replacement plastic one approx. 70 bucks , metal about $260. Sucks to see this JD will probably change back to a metal one soon. Don't really use the tractor for any thing other than blowing now had to take the blower off and put the loader back on. Not real happy with my JD now!!!
I changed out the plastic for steel right after the first storm, didn't like the way it threw snow and it wobbled on the shaft, made a racket as I have posted in other posts on this site. GFP has them for 252 bucks, in my opinion good piece of mind to change it out. But that's my thing, I don't want a plastic anything that can get abused so easily. I also bought the extra drift cutter (among a lot of other do-dads) same company, I need it with 4 feet of snow this year and they work great, I think 29 bucks.. JD should put them on for what you pay for the unit.. Check out Randy's post too about the plastic hinge on the spout,, you'll love that one. If that goes while you are working the unit you are basically screwed and I have the linear actuator set up for my spout control, hated the manual thing and that will make the hinge fail quicker because I use it so much where I live.. Good luck..

Reactions: sterling40man
1 - 20 of 37 Posts