Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from the bitter cold of Northern Ohio.

Yesterday, we had +40 MPH gusts and blew a 3ft drift down my entire driveway. Good time. Anyway to get it all cleaned up and hopefully avoid in the future. I took off my 54 Plow and attached the bucket. I am using the amazing Artiallian Plow adapter with extension hoses so when i changed backl to the bucket, I had 2 Q/C fittings left in the open. on the frame of the FEL. Instead of using the JD caps, I said to hell with it and started moving snow.

Well..... after and hour, I went to put the plow back on and the discconects were packed with Snow. I dug as much out as I could, but they still had some in the bottom. I ended up using a torch very qucikly to melt the snow and hopefully not the o-ring.

Anyone have a better idea in case I am an ID10T and don't put the caps on next time?

Thanks,
Thomas

·
Premium Member
16,954 Posts
Anyone have a better idea in case I am an ID10T and don't put the caps on next time?
I'm afraid using the caps is the only way to avoid the problem. As resolving the problem, once the connectors are packed with snow the only way to remove the snow completely is to melt it. Either quickly as you did or more slowly by sitting in a heating storage space.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sneak out the back with the wife's blow dryer, and hope she doesn't catch you! :laugh:
It would give you plenty of heat to melt the snow but not the o-ring.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Probably not the best for the o-rings but I would use denatured alcohol to melt the snow then blow the connectors out with compressed air. Then re-coat the o-rings with hydro fluid.

·
Administrator
22,414 Posts
I second the hair dryer or heat gun suggestion :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1026R. Grand Cherokee, Sante Fe Sport
1,440 Posts
If you don't have a huge distance(enough that the water gets cold) I would just dip it in a cup of hot water for a minute...then shake it off. A stanley thermos and its cup would work perfect. That will stay plenty hot till your done.

Its probably old school but peeing on it works as well...:hide:

The rings will get coated when you reconnect.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Administrator
22,194 Posts
I'm not peeing on my tractor.:lol: Gizmo's.........well...if he really needed help, I suppose I'd pee on his.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hair dryer works.

Ether works faster if you don't feel like taking the boots off, low crawling past the wife, and pulling off a Mission impossible inspired return of said hair dryer later.;)

The bonus is that the new ether has a light oil in it, and keeps the rust monster at bay, and there is probably a can rolling around in the cab or under the seat already. Works great for flushing out mud and dirt that sneaks past the caps as well.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
44,872 Posts
I'm not peeing on my tractor.:lol: Gizmo's.........well...if he really needed help, I suppose I'd pee on his.
I think they are talking about standing up to pee, not squatting.:confused:

:cheers::lol::lol:

Reactions: chex313

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts
Thomas,

Thanks for sharing. Those dust caps are under appreciated bits.

In case all of these electric powered tools aren't available, maybe a can of compressed air for cleaning computers (a long shot) or a couple of quick blasts of lubricating spray might help to dislodge what you can't knock out/blow out? Especially if it is coming out of warm storage and helps to melt it.

The wife's toothbrush could also be a help, if you can get away with it. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1026R. Grand Cherokee, Sante Fe Sport
1,440 Posts
I think they are talking about standing up to pee, not squatting.:confused:

:cheers::lol::lol:
Yeah you definitely do not want to freeze your tool to the Hydro fitting....:laugh:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.