Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had all but made up my mind that I would be purchasing a Kubota B2650 this spring after comparing all the options out there, but I still yearned for a larger frame. The Kubota L's were pretty bare bones and the 3 Family was simply out of the budget, until I found a minimally equipped 3033R for the same price as a well equipped B2650 or 2025R. With that said, I'll be picking it up this weekend and should prepare myself for winter duty. What are my options for a front plow for the 3033R?

I'm in Ohio were we see a fair amount of snow some years and minimal snow in others (like this year), so I think a plow would be best. It will primarily maintain a 1000' sloped gravel drive and small concrete pad. I like the idea of a frame mounted plow vs loader mounted due to my fear of tweaking the loader arms. Maybe that is unwarranted. I'd love to hear your thoughts as I haven't been able to find much of anything for 3 Family tractors with snow plows.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Hoya,

The frame mounted 366 blade is a beast, it will plow 6 inches of ice without blinking an eye, snow isn't even a workout for it. I have had loader plows in the past and there is no comparison, you won't regret the 366 blade.

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Caution is justified, but with proper use have no fear of loader mounted options IMHO.

Both Deere (Frontier) and a couple other makes/lines have JDQA loader plows in various sizes that should suit your new 3033 nicely, both in manual and hydraulic angle varieties. The smallest Frontier one would be 72" IIRC (there was one for sale here not that long ago). Places like Horst Snow (HLA aka Horst Welding from Canada) make them as well. I have a proper color matched JD green 60" version of their 1000 series. It was manual, but I converted it this fall to hydraulic as my cost was far less than theirs even including an Artillian diverter.

Others have used their shop fab and welding skills to convert other truck plows for the task in both underbody/frame mount and loader mount.

Good luck in your search, ask away if you need more info or have other questions.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 366 definitely sounds like the ticket. But I need to come up with some more uses for a 3pt on the front. It's quite an expense for attaching just one implement.

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
The 366 definitely sounds like the ticket. But I need to come up with some more uses for a 3pt on the front. It's quite an expense for attaching just one implement.
The front 3PH will mount the 366 Front Blade, 59 Snowblower and 60 Front Broom.

Reactions: rtgt and Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
13,024 Posts
Isn't there an issue with the 3-series "R" models when using a loader mounted plow? Something about the hydraulic system being in full-time re-gen mode? I can't find the previous thread but hopefully one of our resident hydraulics guru's can refresh our memories.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
91 Posts
That is a common reason so many opt for the loader, they are expensive, but second only to a 3pt hitch for versatility :)

As a side step, you might use a rear blade, that would be the most economical way [I have a RB2072 on my 3046r/cab]

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
If you've got the loader for your 3033R you might want to take it easy this season and try a set of Edge Tamers with your front bucket. Check-out the video in the link: Edge Tamer | R2 Manufacturing

Plenty of folks get by plowing with their loaders.

Edit: Oops. Just noticed that you already have a set! With one replacement "on the way!"

Reactions: Mlang, rtgt and JKR

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts
Isn't there an issue with the 3-series "R" models when using a loader mounted plow? Something about the hydraulic system being in full-time re-gen mode? I can't find the previous thread but hopefully one of our resident hydraulics guru's can refresh our memories.
Short answer: No.
The 3-series tractors still have 4-way valves so regen is not active all the time, its seems the 4-series machines have the 3-way (regen active 100% of the time) valves now for some STUPID reason only some pencil pusher at JD can know. But the regen issue only comes into play anyway if a diverter is used anyway, the 3rd SCV would have no trouble on either machine.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have a 3033R with a front loader plow hydraulic. I had installed when I ordered my tractor. I like it because I can lift the plow high enough to push the snow back and higher than a frame mounted plow. I had a frame mounted plow on my old tractor. It worked well but the loader mount works better for me.
The plow works of the 3rd SVC and the control is on the joy stick. With the hydraulics installed you can add other options like a grapple. Another good tool for your tractor.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
i wouldnt use a loader mounted plow, imo, just to much stress on the frames/arms. and honestly, the frames on 3-4 series just look, well, inadequate for bulldozing. the only time i would use one is if i had a 5-6E tractor

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
i wouldnt use a loader mounted plow, imo, just to much stress on the frames/arms. and honestly, the frames on 3-4 series just look, well, inadequate for bulldozing. the only time i would use one is if i had a 5-6E tractor
Digging with the bucket, especially in hard ground or unbroken dirt creates a substantial amount of stress as well.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Digging with the bucket, especially in hard ground or unbroken dirt creates a substantial amount of stress as well.
true, but pushing snow with a loader mounted blade also puts sideways stress on the arms/pins.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
true, but pushing snow with a loader mounted blade also puts sideways stress on the arms/pins.
And pushing into a pile of dirt, mulch, stone, etc. doesn't? All those materials are more dense and provide much more resistance than snow...

Plenty of users of even 1 series machines dig, move, handle, pickup, drop and otherwise use their loader buckets to move much stouter materials than snow without a second thought or any serious effect on their equipment.

IMHO supposed damage potential due to loader mount plows is severely overblown and more myth than fact. People that will damage equipment plowing snow will also do so moving dirt or otherwise just operating their equipment. It all boils down to operator responsibility and properly using your equipment.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
my point is you have side to side torsional stress on the arms/pins from the angling of the blade.

Reactions: dzldanz and Gizmo2

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
arms;
\/

i i <<,<<<<< force from the angle of the plow goes here, on the end were the QA is.
i i
i i
i i
i i

^ ^
pins are here;

i dont see how unevenly loading the bucket puts this ^^kind of stress on the loader. you all have valid points, however i dont think i made myself clear enough when i said side to side stress. i hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yeah but you can put torsional load onto the loader arms by going into anything off center, or overfilling one side or the other.
I have done that more tan once. I got stuck under a tree root and the tractor slid side ways. The loader and arms are still straight and true.
I have liftef a large rock with my grapple and it rolled to one side. The tractor tilted. Again the loader arms are straight. No pin problem.
Maybe after 10 year of service the pin may need work.:dunno:

Reactions: johnH123
1 - 20 of 31 Posts