Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a couple threads in different sections about snow pushers - but not a whole lot of info. I am thinking of getting one so I thought a dedicated thread in the attachment sections was warranted.

I recently became aware of a company that makes snow pushers with the Deere quick attach system:

John Deere Quick Attach Snow Pushers « ZMI Snow Pushers

For my snow removal one of these would be perfect I think. 90% of my driveway snow removal is with a straight push making stacks. I've studied and researched all the pros and cons - each of us have different requirements for snow removal attachments depending on their location and areas they are using for snow removal. For some a front plow is best - and other a blower is best. For myself I feel a pusher would be best.

There is a member here who has one and says he is very happy with it. Here is his post in the SCUT section:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/11694-6-snow-pusher-9.html#post189667

I kind of have my heart set on saving up for one to purchase next summer/fall. But after sleeping on the idea, I have to evaluate the 6' length for use on my 2520. I know I could make it work as I am used to pushing downhill only on the steep part of my driveway which I've been using only my 54" bucket for many years. I wish they have a 5' model as that to me would be a no brainier for our smaller tractors.

The price of the ZMI seems reasonable enough to me and the shipping of $99 is great. But before I commit to a large purchase like this I like to see if there are other snow pusher options out there. So far the big pros to the ZMI are the Deere quick attach and the reasonable price and shipping. Also at a weight of 285# it seems it would be easily managed on the front of my 2520.

Reactions: johnH123

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I agree that it would be nice if they produced a 5' as well.
Their JDQA readiness, price, and shipping are great selling points.
Maybe everyone should email the company to show some interest in a 5'.

*edit
I clicked on the contact tab at ZMI and asked that they consider a 5' version for us sub compact owners via email.

Reactions: danmorea

·
Registered
23,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I clicked on the contact tab at ZMI and asked that they consider a 5' version for us sub compact owners via email.
Great! Let us know the response. If they need a certain amount of dedicated buyers (with deposit) I would likely be a candidate.

I know I could do OK with the 6' but there are times when I would have to resort back to my bucket I think. A couple times a year we get sleet storms which is nothing more than trying to plow sand. But a 5' would be perfect I think even for an MCUT using it on driveways. A 6' would work very well for open paved parking lots.

Reactions: johnH123

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm using an old snow plow that I made work on the qa it's a 7'6 it is fixed straight the plan is to put the sides on it to make a pusher but hasn't happened yet my 2720 handles it just fine with rear chains

I still have the skids on the back of the plow so if I curl it all the way back it rides on them when I put just the cutting edge down I loose steering but it will keep pushing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Well that was a quick reply....:cry:

"Hi Joe,

Thanks for the interest. I'm sorry, but we don't plan to build a 5' version. I received some very positive feedback from a customer with a 1026R just last week and put it on my facebook page. It has a review and a photo. Check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/zmisnowpushers It's right at the top of the page.

We have a handful of these in stock.

Best,

Joe"

·
Registered
23,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well that was a quick reply....:cry:

"Hi Joe,

Thanks for the interest. I'm sorry, but we don't plan to build a 5' version. I received some very positive feedback from a customer with a 1026R just last week and put it on my facebook page. It has a review and a photo. Check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/zmisnowpushers It's right at the top of the page.

We have a handful of these in stock.

Best,

Joe"
Thanks for sharing the response. While I really shy away from facebook, I looked at that link and it looks like the same as our member here who has one that I posted in my original post. I guess he does have a 1 series.

What to do - what to do. I feel I need to do something because over the years of using my 53" bucket I am concerned with the cutting edge wearing. Another option I've been thinking about is a 61" bucket for snow removal. Then I could leave my tooth bar on my 53" as a dedicated digging bucket. But I wouldn't want to pay $800+ for one - at that point I would just go with the pusher anyway......

P1330117.JPG

P1330117_2.jpg

·
Administrator
18,542 Posts
What to do - what to do. I feel I need to do something because over the years of using my 53" bucket I am concerned with the cutting edge wearing.
Another option is a "blank toothbar" from BXpanded, I can't find it on their site but I know they will mak them, it's the same as the Pirahna toothbar but without the teeth cut into it. There are some pics somewhere here...

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
23,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another option is a "blank toothbar" from BXpanded, I can't find it on their site but I know they will mak them, it's the same as the Pirahna toothbar but without the teeth cut into it. There are some pics somewhere here...
I thought of the same thing - or thought I did - when I looked on the site it's just not there. I then moved on thinking I might have been dreaming it or something.

Something like that would be a good option for me to continue just using my bucket - if it exists!

·
Registered
23,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
23,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the effort to look at all my options, I measured the distance of the holes drilled in the side of my bucket for my tooth bar. If someone could tell me the measurement they have for their Piranaha bar I could quickly see if their bar will work on my bucket. Here is a pic of the end of my bucket - I measure from the cutting edge to the center of the hole and have 8.5":

P1330131.JPG

P1330133.JPG

Then I looked at the cost - while the straight bar is not listed on their site I am assuming it would be about the same price as their tooth bar which is $307 shipped. That's about 1/4 the price of a pusher already......

So while out in the barn (man it's still cold out there!) I laid out a molding board I had that is 6' long in front of my tractor to get a feel for the 6' width of the pusher. Not as extreme as I thought it would be. Comparing to my 53" bucket that is only 8" wider on each side. I don't see any problems with that at all.

I have to go through all this to justify any big purchase - sorry for dragging it out - this would be a very large purchase for me in my situation and I have to be sure I am doing the right thing. As I've said using my bucket has been fine but I am wearing it out as the years go by. In getting a pusher I am getting a more appropriate tool for the job having hardened replaceable and adjustable skid shoes and an adjustable rubber cutting edge. And the quick attach is a very important feature for me as if there is a situation where the pusher won't work I can easily revert back to the bucket in a couple seconds.

Kind of sounds like I just talked myself into it, huh........

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 72" plow on the front of my 2520. Its an old meyer poly plow that came off an old bronco. Its 20" tall. I rigged it up to use on the JD factory quick hitch. When angled it still covers my track. I would not want it any narrower. Actually 72" is about perfect. I dont use chains, in fact I rarely use 4x4. It does a nice job. Later in the year like now I switch to a 47" blower. I wish that was 54 or 59 but the 47 does an exellent job. You can't go wrong with a 6ft plow.

·
Registered
23,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to run through all my options, I contacted BXpanded today about their plain cutting edge bar. Explained that I had holes already drilled in my bucket for a custom made tooth bar. He asked for the dimensions while saying it is a long shot.
Afterward he said the best he could do is make me one without holes being drilled in the ears - the ears may line up but if not I would have to drill a new set of holes. I knew this was a long shot and also kind of a temporary fix so I could continue using my bucket. Harry at BXpanded was very nice and genuinely wanted to help the best he could - great guy!

So after reviewing all my options including to continue using my bucket, the 54 blade both frame and loader mounted, and the pusher, I have come to the conclusion that I am going to save up for a pusher for next winter. Even Mrs. Coaltrain is on board! She never says anything about what I am doing or buying but I like to include her with stuff like this. Showed her all the options with pics on-line and explained the pros and cons of each. Also I get kind of OCD when I get focused on something like this and sometimes need her to pull me back down from the clouds so to speak. So the saving envelope is going into "the box" for a pusher which I hope to be able to get this coming summer. Going to have to sell a couple hobby type things to put toward the purchase but will be worth it.

Then I plan to put my tooth bar on my 53" bucket and leave it on there for digging purposes. That will also be nice as I can't lift the tooth bar myself anymore to put it on or take it off. The bucket with the tooth bar and grab hooks will be a great implement in itself. That along with my forks (yeh!) I'll be in business. My goal was to have everything quick attach and this all fits the bill.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I'm the same way when i get my mind on something.
Sadly i can see it in my 11 year old son as well.:laugh:

I have a set of Artillian fork on order so i will probably going the plow route on fork frame after all considerations.
My driveway is just too long through the trees to use a pusher correctly.
I'll have all summer to get that together.

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Registered
23,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm the same way when i get my mind on something.
Sadly i can see it in my 11 year old son as well.:laugh:

I have a set of Artillian fork on order so i will probably going the plow route on fork frame after all considerations.
My driveway is just too long through the trees to use a pusher correctly.
I'll have all summer to get that together.
Good deal! After doing tons of reading here and looking at all the options, I found each driveway or area to be plowed is different. Like you say - a long driveway through the trees almost dictates a plow or blower. For my situation I can do short straight pushes everywhere. When the snow is light (4" or less) I can do long pushes - when it is 8" or more I have plenty of room to do shorter pushes off to the sides - no trees or obstacles along my driveway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts