Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still having trouble convincing myself which way to go. I'm currently leaning toward a front Quick Hitch mounted snow blade which leaves me the option for later adding a snowblower without having to drive in reverse. I have about a 200' driveway, paved with a slight slope, and a roughly 30 x 40 turnaround at the house. Most winters I average maybe 4-6 snows with those averaging 1-8 inches. Nothing any plow for my tractor can't handle at idle. However, every few years we get a 12+ storm and every 5-6 years 24+. Even 12" I suspect I'd be able to handle with a front blade but above that is where a snowblower shows up on the really really wish I had list.

Plan B, which occasionally oscillates around to plan A then back again, is a loader mounted blade and for the rare but occasional big one use the FEL bucket with a set of Edge Tamers. Thing is, I know how well a snowblower does in deep snows from the old walk behind I had. I'm not sure how well using the FEL bucket will work when we get a deep one. One thing it does have going for it is no $3000+ snowblower investment for something I may use sometime in the next few years. Although if I had the blower I'd probably use it on anything above 6".

For a little insight as to the kind of buyer I am. The first winter I had a walk behind snowblower it got zero use and I didn't mind. The second season we had a 30+ inch blizzard and I considered the snowblower paid for from that storm on. My other removal implement at the time was a 42" plow (14" tall) on the front of the LX186 tractor and a hand shovel. :)

So, from those that have been using these machines for many years of snow removal, what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Dan, I lived in CT for 68 years and moved snow, for the last 25 years, with a 314 and a 49 thrower. I used a blade on the 314 for a year or 2 but started using the 49 and REALLY liked it. With a blade, or bucket, YOU need to move the snow 10-15 feet from the edge of the pavement...so it does melt, run down, and freeze! This also leaves room for additional storms. With a blower/thrower, the machine does the work.

I don't know the $$ of a thrower/blower for the 1032 or the LX186 (IF even available), but I'd go for 3xx series with a 49...about $1000. Your yard, your wallet, your call! Bob

·
Registered
21,502 Posts
In my opinion the 54 blade that goes on these tractors is a joke - way to small.

I would opt for a loader mounted blade around 66” in length. With a loader mounted blade you can easily stack snow so you have room for the next snowfall. A plow like that can easily handle a 24” snowfall - just would take a bit longer.

I would also consider a pusher. I have a large intersection which you could consider a turn around I guess. A lot less back and forth with a pusher than with a plow.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
When I had a 445 I got it with just a plow. It worked fine for 3x12”, 1x18” and 1x30” storms. At that point I was out of room to push it and got a blower as another big storm was on the way. I would have been ok for one or more additional storms if the plow was loader mounted, but on a quick hitch I could only pile it 6’ high.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dan, I lived in CT for 68 years and moved snow, for the last 25 years, with a 314 and a 49 thrower. I used a blade on the 314 for a year or 2 but started using the 49 and REALLY liked it. With a blade, or bucket, YOU need to move the snow 10-15 feet from the edge of the pavement...so it does melt, run down, and freeze! This also leaves room for additional storms. With a blower/thrower, the machine does the work.

I don't know the $$ of a thrower/blower for the 1032 or the LX186 (IF even available), but I'd go for 3xx series with a 49...about $1000. Your yard, your wallet, your call! Bob
I've already got the 1023e, traded in the LX186 and walk behind blower. The decision now is, do I forget about a blower in the future and use a loader mount blade, or leave the blower option open and go with the (more limited, a little more labor to install) Quick Hitch blade. Driving in reverse with the blower is not an option.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Isn’t there a 66” CTA plow for the quick hitch? There’s also 54 extensions/rubber widening kits, or an artilian (?) mount for a quick hitch mounted to the loader?

If you want a blower later you can get great used ones for 2-2500 with a hitch and mid shaft, just not when a storm is forecast.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my opinion the 54 blade that goes on these tractors is a joke - way to small.
A 54" blade was never an option, unless I found a good cheap used one then I'd add the wings. If I go with a front QH blade it'll be either the Deere 60" or the CTA 60, (or maybe 66").

I would opt for a loader mounted blade around 66” in length. With a loader mounted blade you can easily stack snow so you have room for the next snowfall. A plow like that can easily handle a 24” snowfall - just would take a bit longer.
For a loader mount blade my choice is between the Frontier AF10F or CTA 60/66 inch. Leaning toward the CTA-66 if I go this way. Good to hear it can take a 24" snowfall. If there calling for more I can always plow mid storm. The only thing I don't like about this route is it essentially eliminates the option for a snowblower later. That may not be a problem though.

I would also consider a pusher. I have a large intersection which you could consider a turn around I guess. A lot less back and forth with a pusher than with a plow.
A pusher would be nice for the turnaround, but after using the fel bucket as a pseudo pusher last year I prefer a blade I can angle and just run the length of the driveway as opposed to fill the bucket, angle, dump, back up and repeat.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I had a 445 I got it with just a plow. It worked fine for 3x12”, 1x18” and 1x30” storms. At that point I was out of room to push it and got a blower as another big storm was on the way. I would have been ok for one or more additional storms if the plow was loader mounted, but on a quick hitch I could only pile it 6’ high.
Thanks. That's the advantage of the FEL mounted blade. I can just push the piles back if needed. Of course, with a blower the piles are already pretty far back...

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Thanks. That's the advantage of the FEL mounted blade. I can just push the piles back if needed. Of course, with a blower the piles are already pretty far back...
You can stack it higher, but if the banks aren’t from that storm you aren’t moving them back. Once frozen they are there until spring unless you want to move them one bucket at a time. Been there, done that. The city didn’t clear my sidewalk one storm, after a week it was obvious I had to do it if I wanted mail. It was a lot of hard digging. Even big loaders can’t move old banks without a ton of effort.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Isn’t there a 66” CTA plow for the quick hitch? There’s also 54 extensions/rubber widening kits, or an artilian (?) mount for a quick hitch mounted to the loader?

If you want a blower later you can get great used ones for 2-2500 with a hitch and mid shaft, just not when a storm is forecast.
CTA makes both a 60 and 66 inch blade and offer it for a quick hitch as well as loader mount. Thing is deciding between QH and loader mount determines if the snowblower is an option later.

·
Registered
21,502 Posts
A 54" blade was never an option, unless I found a good cheap used one then I'd add the wings. If I go with a front QH blade it'll be either the Deere 60" or the CTA 60, (or maybe 66").

For a loader mount blade my choice is between the Frontier AF10F or CTA 60/66 inch. Leaning toward the CTA-66 if I go this way. Good to hear it can take a 24" snowfall. If there calling for more I can always plow mid storm. The only thing I don't like about this route is it essentially eliminates the option for a snowblower later. That may not be a problem though.

A pusher would be nice for the turnaround, but after using the fel bucket as a pseudo pusher last year I prefer a blade I can angle and just run the length of the driveway as opposed to fill the bucket, angle, dump, back up and repeat.
Why is that? You can always install the quick hitch parts on your tractor and leave them there. The loader comes off in about 1 minute - then you just hook up the blower.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why is that? You can always install the quick hitch parts on your tractor and leave them there. The loader comes off in about 1 minute - then you just hook up the blower.
True, but the changeover from QH blade to QH blower is a lot easier than removing the loader, installing the quick hitch, then mounting the snow blower.

I guess what I'm asking is, would those that have done this for many years be satisfied clearing the occasional 20+ inch snow with just a front blade (60" min) and the fel bucket as your tools, or would you recommend a snowblower? If a snowblower is anywhere in my future then the QH blade makes more sense. If the blade/bucket combo is more than sufficient for the occasional blizzard then the loader mount makes more sense.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
True, but the changeover from QH blade to QH blower is a lot easier than removing the loader, installing the quick hitch, then mounting the snow blower.

I guess what I'm asking is, would those that have done this for many years be satisfied clearing the occasional 20+ inch snow with just a front blade (60" min) and the fel bucket as your tools, or would you recommend a snowblower? If a snowblower is anywhere in my future then the QH blade makes more sense. If the blade/bucket combo is more than sufficient for the occasional blizzard then the loader mount makes more sense.
I attach the quick hitch to the implement then mount them. You can get close and connect the hydraulic lines to have power to mount it without issue. If stored on a pallet you might be able to drive right in before connecting anything.

To me it’s dealers choice, six of one a half dozen of the other for switching loader to blower or plow to blower. I also had a hitch for each.

·
Premium Member
10,991 Posts
I've got to get myself a Doofus T-shirt then because each fall the process of removing the loader and installing the 54-inch front snow blower takes me about 3 hours. The loader does come off in about 5-minutes but the process of installing the bearing bracket, drive shaft, quick hitch, snow blower, remote spout control and routing and connecting the hydraulic hoses takes me a couple hours. Why? I don't know.
:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts
I would argue that that isn't true. You can mount the QH mount brackets, main driveshaft and bearing carrier parts for the snowblower in the fall and leave them on the machine all winter while using a plow on the loader. Taking the loader off and taking off the QH plow off are pretty much equal as far as work goes. Either way, that only leaves you with mounting the QH blower which is identical either way.

I used the Deere 54" blade on the QH the first winter. That got old in a hurry when we had 5 or 6 12"-18" storms back to back. I bought the Artillian kit to mount it on my loader and that is now my primary snow removal setup. (I'm looking at a CTA loader mounted plow for this coming winter!)

I did end up buying a 3pt mounted rear blower for those monster storms. I've had it through 2 winters now and have only used it for one storm each.

Between the Deere 60" front QH plow blade and blower setups, you're looking at $5K. Personally, I'd get a loader mounted plow ($1700+ s/h from CTAttachments for a 60" blade) and a used 3pt blower to have as your "just in case" scenario. I know everyone loves the front mounted blower but... IMO, plowing is a whole lot faster in most storms and for that once a season use of a rear blower, it isn't that big of a deal. The net result is a savings of several thousand $$$.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm still having trouble convincing myself which way to go. I'm currently leaning toward a front Quick Hitch mounted snow blade which leaves me the option for later adding a snowblower without having to drive in reverse. I have about a 200' driveway, paved with a slight slope, and a roughly 30 x 40 turnaround at the house. Most winters I average maybe 4-6 snows with those averaging 1-8 inches. Nothing any plow for my tractor can't handle at idle. However, every few years we get a 12+ storm and every 5-6 years 24+. Even 12" I suspect I'd be able to handle with a front blade but above that is where a snowblower shows up on the really really wish I had list.

Plan B, which occasionally oscillates around to plan A then back again, is a loader mounted blade and for the rare but occasional big one use the FEL bucket with a set of Edge Tamers. Thing is, I know how well a snowblower does in deep snows from the old walk behind I had. I'm not sure how well using the FEL bucket will work when we get a deep one. One thing it does have going for it is no $3000+ snowblower investment for something I may use sometime in the next few years. Although if I had the blower I'd probably use it on anything above 6".

For a little insight as to the kind of buyer I am. The first winter I had a walk behind snowblower it got zero use and I didn't mind. The second season we had a 30+ inch blizzard and I considered the snowblower paid for from that storm on. My other removal implement at the time was a 42" plow (14" tall) on the front of the LX186 tractor and a hand shovel. :)

So, from those that have been using these machines for many years of snow removal, what are your thoughts?

Thanks!
with 30 plus years of snow removal home and at work I think with pavement there is no better way to remove snow than with a blower , clean, neat , you almost never lose traction and you don't beat up the machine.
need I say more . with that said $ is the big difference but, used equipment makes a huge difference .
2 years ago my new home had a dirt driveway I used home made tamers because mine were late to arrive they work great but I really missed my blower . now with it paved and a used cab I cant wait for snow .I'm not rushing winter but its the only time I can use Jonny in the winter lol lol
good luck with your decision

·
Premium Member
619 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,991 Posts
I would argue that that isn't true. You can mount the QH mount brackets, main driveshaft and bearing carrier parts for the snowblower in the fall and leave them on the machine all winter while using a plow on the loader. Taking the loader off and taking off the QH plow off are pretty much equal as far as work goes. Either way, that only leaves you with mounting the QH blower which is identical either way.
Are you sure about that? I have a 2720 which is the same as a Gen-1 2032R and I thought for sure the bearing carrier and drive shaft had to be removed to re-attach the loader. Although I will admit I've never actually tried it.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I'll add some confusion to the mix.....Get a power broom.:munch:

If you get the blade you'll have big snowfalls,if you get the blower you won't Murphy's Law.:banghead: I would get the blower,you already have a bucket for light snow falls.
One problem with blades is if you have to push back the lawn gets rutted or you dig into the turf if it's not frozen. A blower keeps you on the blacktop. Granted you can do some damage with a bucket but you don't have to move or push piles the blower will do that.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm in the western Catskills Upstate NY. We go from minor snow all winter to 2' storms unpredictably.

Had a 318 with a 49 blower, and a 3pt 60" back blade... I tried a front blade for one storm... then went right back to the blower/back blade combo.
There's nothing like a blower for anything more than 3" The snow is out of your way, and goes where you put it.
I have a gravel drive... I kept the blower an inch above the ground, and the blade down for cleaning it, kept the gravel out of the lawn.
When I sold my 318, I bought a 1023e with a 54" blower(i didn't bat an eye), I also made a 60" blade for the quick tach.
I cant wait to try them both out..
I sure do think about the $3880(including the hitch) i spent on the blower.. now that I have a 4wd tractor.. do I need it? could I have spent that on a better solution?.. dunno... i did not buy a loader with the tractor.. felt the blower more important. (I have since purchase a loader)

I'm thinking that blower is probably going to make me very happy the first time we get hammered with snow.

If you do a loader mounted blade, are you going to want power angle? that adds a cost for hoses and a 3rd function setup of some kind.
Loader mounted blade adds some length... do you have space to store it between storms?

lots of videos on youtube of all these options..
Good luck with your decision

1 - 20 of 112 Posts