Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum. Happened here in a google search and saw that there is a lot of information and experience so I figured you would be the guys to ask.

I just purchased a home that has two concrete driveways that are approximately 150' each. They also have 18" of stamped concrete on the sides. Trying to figure out the best way to remove snow without damaging the surfaces. I have always used snowblowers in the past at previous homes. I have been debating between a pickup and plow with urethane edge or an X738 tractor with 54" blower and hard cab. Have not been able to find urethane shoes or edge for this blower which worries me. I live in upstate Albany NY area so we do get some decent snowfalls. Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks in advance.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,759 Posts

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Robalon makes shoes and scraper bars for snowblowers that won't mark surfaces.

Reactions: glc

·
Super Moderator
5,576 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use an X758 at work with a blower on the sidewalks around my school and have never damaged them.

I've ripped the scraper off from the joints in the curbing but never damaged the cement walks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
739 Posts
Blower or blade, either choice will work just fine. I have in the past used a GT18 with blade, Ariens Pro 28, X580 with blade and now I'm back to my 738 with the 54" blade. My driveway is asphalt, 260' x 3 cars wide, then around the back of the house another 100'. The driveway is also up a very steep hill. Does the blade work? Very well thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Blade is fastest and cheaper to purchase. You can put a urethane edge on it, or just get a horse mat and cut several edges from it. The snowblower is neater and better suited for really deep snows or when snow builds up over the winter leaving no place to push. I would guess a blade might be effective enough in your area, but I'd probably lean toward the blower. If you go blower, I'd get the 54" so that it's wider enough for the tractor.

·
Registered
163 Posts
New to the forum. Happened here in a google search and saw that there is a lot of information and experience so I figured you would be the guys to ask.

I just purchased a home that has two concrete driveways that are approximately 150' each. They also have 18" of stamped concrete on the sides. Trying to figure out the best way to remove snow without damaging the surfaces. I have always used snowblowers in the past at previous homes. I have been debating between a pickup and plow with urethane edge or an X738 tractor with 54" blower and hard cab. Have not been able to find urethane shoes or edge for this blower which worries me. I live in upstate Albany NY area so we do get some decent snowfalls. Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Get the snow blower. I live in hill town outside Albany. When we get heavy snow, I have to snow blow paths in back yard for wife’s two small dogs. I don’t want to dig up the lawn so I raise snow blower a quarter of an inch off ground. Do the same thing for your stamped concrete. It will get majority of snow off stamped concrete and within a day or so sun will melt the quarter inch left behind

·
Registered
123 Posts
My two cents regarding snow removal...

I have a hill to manage and some large boulder walls to clean against. I have found after a few version of tractor mounted blowers that bigger is not better. A 47" blower is much easier to manage and creates very little to no pack down. The scraping power of the blower due to its weight also cleans any pack down. The second thing that changed everything for me was an all-wheel steer unit. AWS makes turning the blower around obstacles and cleanout of corners a breeze. A GT with a front-mounted blower becomes pretty long and cumbersome. I have stamped concrete and asphalt, and neither has been damaged since I went away from chains and went all-wheel drive. I ruined my drive at my primary residence with chains.

I am using machines in MN and WI. We get plenty of snow in a typical year, and we are often dealing with rain that converts to snow. I am very impressed with the x739's ability to throw slush.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm in a similar situation...kind of. I'm in WNY and we get a heavy snow fall. Currently I'm plowing with my X738 and it does a GREAT job. However, I run out of space to push the snow! I've been talking about a blower for it for the last two years and I think this is the year. My driveway is about 100' long and I share a 1500' private drive. The X738 with the blade has no issues pushing up the long gravel drive with a blade full of snow. Either way you go, it'll be great but the blower is winning in my book. I'm planning on buying mine next weekend. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts