Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 35 acres in Colorado where it snow around 7' per year. I have about a 1000' driveway that will need plowed.

I also have a 4066r with a FEL. What is my best option for plowing this road? It's a dirt/gravel road and it's got a few hills. Will a blade tear up the road? Is a rear mount PTO blower the best?

I live in Texas so know nothing about snow removal.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Seven feet? That's a lot of snow! I would opt for a front mounted snow blower with that much snow, but am unsure if your 4 series can be equipped like that. The problem with a rear snow blower is you will be looking backwards for a long time.

You have three basic choices with snow removal, your FEL bucket, a plow or a blower. An FEL works but it's not the best option for snow removal if you ask me. If it's all you have then it's what you use.

Your cheapest option is probably going to be a rear blade, if you don't want to use the bucket. You just need to lower it so it doesn't tear the driveway up too bad, but since you are going to have a gravel drive, you might as well invest in a land plane too. The problem with a front or rear blade is that if you have a lot of snow over the season it becomes hard to shove all of the snow off to the side. You will have to use the bucket to reposition the snow periodically.

A front mounted plow will come with skid shoes that will allow you to keep 1 or 2 inches off the ground so you can remove the snow and leave the gravel. I believe front mounted blowers are the same way but I have never used one.

Anyways good luck on your move and hope you figure out how to deal with winter. :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
If it's cold enough to snow, it's cold enough for that road to freeze solid. You might dig up some loose gravel but for the most part, a plow will just glide across the frozen surface.

I have a 650' driveway and a rear blower. It works but it takes a while to get my neck straightened out again after using it. :laugh:

There are pros/cons to every possible option. A front blower is easier to use but usually costs more. Snow blades (both plows and pushers) are cheaper than blower setups but usually leave a bank on the sides of the driveway and you can run into drifting issues. Blowers throw the snow far enough away that you don't get those snowbanks.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Getting 7' of snow in the winter doesn't mean it shows up all at once!

For your nearly 1/4 mile of drive, I would skip the snow blower unless you're retired and have plenty of time on your hands. A snow pusher or bucket only will also get old real fast because they don't displace snow, they collect it.

A snow blade mounted in place of the FEL bucket is best IMO. Especially one that easy to detach because there will be times you will want to use the bucket to move snow banks.

Al

·
Registered
587 Posts
I agree with Al. 7’ sounds like a lot and is if was one storm, but we had more than that in Maine last winter. Heck there were 2 storms within 3 days that brought close to 4 feet.

I would see what is available for a plow on the FEL. Are V-plows available ? And as Al said if you need to push back the banks, use the bucket.

A blower on either end will pick up rocks and you’ll get sick of replacing shear pins.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
JohnDeeeFarmer,

You might want to consider a Pronovost Inverted Pull Type snowblower, or a Frontier FEL mounted snowblower. Either one would allow you to move snow while driving forward.

Here in Aroostook County, we get 120" of snow, and I have a 60" front mount blower on my 955. I have a 750 foot driveway, and I wouldn't want to use a rear mount blower on that driveway. There is a local property maintenance company that uses a Frontier to do parking lots and driveways. The Pronovosts appear to be popular in Quebec where farmers use them on their farm tractors. There is another Quebec sourced blower that has a reversible pan that allows the unit to be used as a conventional back up blower or as a drive forward blower like the Pronovost. Another local PMC has one on a Universal tractor, and they seem to do well with it.

Dave

·
Registered
2,718 Posts

For your nearly 1/4 mile of drive, I would skip the snow blower unless you're retired and have plenty of time on your hands. A snow pusher or bucket only will also get old real fast because they don't displace snow, they collect it.

A snow blade mounted in place of the FEL bucket is best IMO. Especially one that easy to detach because there will be times you will want to use the bucket to move snow banks.

Al
I would agree if it is a wooded area where drifting isn't much of an issue. My co-worker has a 1/4 driveway, it is on the edge of a field. Even with a snow fence he was out there plowing every day even though it wasn't snowing. As you plow and build a berm on the side of the driveway the snow will fill in between the banks. This means as the winter went on not only was he plowing it every time the wind blew but he was ending up with more snow on his driveway than in the yard. So he called in his buddies that plowed commercially and had a 1 ton and a 3/4 ton truck stuck in his driveway/yard as they were trying to widen the banks.

He ended up buying a 2520 with front blower and hasn't had any issues since. The combination of a snow fence and getting the snow far enough away from the driveway does the trick.

For my yard, I prefer to plow than blow. The problem for me is we have several buuildings and windows so it limits where I can put the snow. I can turn the chute hydraulically but still with limits on the directions I can blow it, it also means that it never fails, the snow will blow back on me and that makes for a very cold job. So for me, I plow it as much as I can. We have enough trees in our area that drifting is rarely an issue. I would rather go out mid storm and plow then again when things are done than blow. I do have a front blower though because there are storms where I can't get out there or the snow is too wet and heavy and I can't push it. So then the blower goes on.

I would say there isn't a perfect tool for snow removal. It will really depend on what the yard is like. As mentioned though, plowing or blowing is fine on gravel. I live on a gravel road and the city plows it. The driveway will build up ice that the blower will ride on.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hello, I don't have a machine as big as yours but I would go with a Fel mounted plow. I have a small drive and have been using my Fel with the bucket for the past several years as i have been plowing the neighbors drives too. I went online and found a plow that I am going to have welded onto a quick attach frame so I can plow and push up and back any piles that I make and I will always have the bucket as a backup for moving piles or plowing.

I lived in Colorado for 18 years and plowed snow with everything from a atv to a 980 cat loader with a 5 yard bucket on the front. Most snow storms dont dump several feet at 1 time unless you are living up in the mountains where you have a better chance of that happening. If I knew what area of Colorado you were moving to I could possibly tell you more as I worked all over the state doing construction.

Just reread your post and saw that your drive is stone /dirt so I Highly recommend not getting a snow blower as the gravel will inevitably end up stuck in your snow blower more than you will have patience for cleaning it out or repairing. If you are going to pave it someday than I could maybe justify a snow blower but one for the front. Looking backwards for that long of a time is going to be hard on the neck and back and if your hills are steep do you really want to be backing down them? Most of the drives I plowed were gravel when I lived in the mountains and almost noone used a snow blower that I can remember.. Just walkways. It wasnt til I moved back to the Denver area that you would see someone using a snowblower but hardly ever did see people doing drives with them either. Almost always plows unless. doing sidewalks or private drives.

I have friends that plow for landscape companies and they all use plows too. Either way its just my 2 cents and its whatever you want to use. Its your drive and congrats on your 35 acres! Its not easy buying big pieces of land out there.

Good luck!
WB

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

Al
Assuming you have the JDQA system on your FEL, you might want to look at this:
https://www.deere.com/en/attachments-accessories-and-implements/utility-tractors-attachments-accessories/snow-removal-equipment/af11e-series/

I'd try and find a used one in TX - probably cheaper than getting one in CO.
I second the FEL mounted plow-depending on the particular lay of the land-they usually seem to be the best and fastest way to maintain a long straight gravel drive.

I have an HLA Snow one on my 2032r and there is the Frontier version as well, they’re both great at what they do. 7’ is 84”, that’s just over the average here where I live, last year we had 101” and a couple years before that we had 140”+ but have had a couple in the 50-60” range as well and my plow has handles them all with ease.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Assuming you have the JDQA system on your FEL, you might want to look at this:
https://www.deere.com/en/attachments-accessories-and-implements/utility-tractors-attachments-accessories/snow-removal-equipment/af11e-series/

I'd try and find a used one in TX - probably cheaper than getting one in CO.
My FEL has the skid steer attachment. Will this blade work with that? I also have the remote hydraulics up front so I could rotate the blade which would be nice.

Are there skid shoes that you can drop down to limit the depth that the blade goes? Or do you put the FEL in the float position and let it go?

Deere does have these for skid steer: https://secure.viewer.zmags.com/services/DownloadPDF?publicationID=3292b8ac&selectedPages=all&pubVersion=25&print=true

BTW I am not moving to Colorado, we just plan on spending our summers there and maybe a week or two in the winter. The HOA plows the main road but I will have to plow the driveway if we are up there and it's snowing. The property is in Westcliffe- southern CO.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
My FEL has the skid steer attachment. Will this blade work with that? I also have the remote hydraulics up front so I could rotate the blade which would be nice.

Are there skid shoes that you can drop down to limit the depth that the blade goes? Or do you put the FEL in the float position and let it go?

Deere does have these for skid steer: https://secure.viewer.zmags.com/services/DownloadPDF?publicationID=3292b8ac&selectedPages=all&pubVersion=25&print=true

BTW I am not moving to Colorado, we just plan on spending our summers there and maybe a week or two in the winter. The HOA plows the main road but I will have to plow the driveway if we are up there and it's snowing. The property is in Westcliffe- southern CO.
SSQA and JDQA aren’t compatible so that one won’t fit-there are others that likely do though.

Yes, every snow plow blade I’ve seen has shoes of some kind to adjust the height of the plow and keep from digging in.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts

Al
For a long driveway I’d go with a plow on a truck, possibly a snow blower on the tractor for the bigger snowfalls.
I agree with Al. 7’ sounds like a lot and is if was one storm, but we had more than that in Maine last winter. Heck there were 2 storms within 3 days that brought close to 4 feet.

I would see what is available for a plow on the FEL. Are V-plows available ? And as Al said if you need to push back the banks, use the bucket.

A blower on either end will pick up rocks and you’ll get sick of replacing shear pins.
I agree with all of this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ for a 1,000 foot driveway I would get either a FEL mounted plow or a pick up with a one. 7' over the coarse of 4-5 months is really not a lot of snow but I would not want to snowblow a driveway that long, especially with a 3 point mount.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Plow Truck. configuring your tractor will be expensive otherwise.

·
Registered
697 Posts

The skid steer quick attach is miles ahead of the JD setup, and substantially more implements (often at a lower cost) are available.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just bought 35 acres in Colorado where it snow around 7' per year. I have about a 1000' driveway that will need plowed.

I also have a 4066r with a FEL. What is my best option for plowing this road? It's a dirt/gravel road and it's got a few hills. Will a blade tear up the road? Is a rear mount PTO blower the best?

I live in Texas so know nothing about snow removal.

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Being from the Great White North here I suspect I got a bit of experience with snow removal.

First.... You are not likely to get all seven feet at once.
Second.... Make sure you have chains for your tractor, and a place to park where you can plug in a block heater. Newer tractors seem to be wanting the heater plugged in 24/7. Older tractors some times have a real tea kettle of a block heater and only need a couple hours on a 1500 watt outdoor digital timer.

Likely a used 3pt mount PTO blower will be your easiest, cheapest way to get a start in this experience. Measure the outside distance of your rear tires and match the blower close to that. Kinda/sorta stay with the 5hp per foot of implement rule and you should be good. The math doesn't have to work out perfect.

You may want to move the first few snow fall with your FEL and a 3pt rear blade turned backwards. When the ground freezes up sufficiently then switch to the blower. By then you will likely have snow accumulation to use the blower, and hard ground to keep the skid shoes from making too much of a mess.

Dress in layers, good boots and mittens, and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I had to plow my 1,000 foot driveway in reverse ONE TIME,,,,, :flag_of_truce:
the next summer, I found a tractor big enough to plow with a rear blade going forward,,,

I can not imagine a snow storm big enough to stop the OP's tractor using a 7 foot rear blade.

The cold snow stacks up high, but, it weighs nothing.

If you do not have to worry about getting to work,, get a 7 foot 3PH blade,,
if that will not do it, the main roads will not be open,, anyways.

:good2:

·
Registered
172 Posts
JohnDeeeFarmer,

You might want to consider a Pronovost Inverted Pull Type snowblower, or a Frontier FEL mounted snowblower. Either one would allow you to move snow while driving forward.

Here in Aroostook County, we get 120" of snow, and I have a 60" front mount blower on my 955. I have a 750 foot driveway, and I wouldn't want to use a rear mount blower on that driveway. There is a local property maintenance company that uses a Frontier to do parking lots and driveways. The Pronovosts appear to be popular in Quebec where farmers use them on their farm tractors. There is another Quebec sourced blower that has a reversible pan that allows the unit to be used as a conventional back up blower or as a drive forward blower like the Pronovost. Another local PMC has one on a Universal tractor, and they seem to do well with it.

Dave
I grew up in Aroostook County too!:good2:

We had a snow blower to for the driveway and dooryard and also plow truck. The problem with the plow, is you have to move the snow back far enough to keep up with each snow fall. If your long driveway is tree lined, that might not give you enough room to push the snow far enough back to get you through the year.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts