Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

So I’m now at 15 hours on my 2018 1025r. Been thinking about using it for snow removal. Currently I have a commercial series Husqvarna Hydrostatic Snow Blower I do all the concrete with. Then I have a straight driveway that’s gravel and 300’ or so long. I have an 1999 Ram with a Boss Plow that gets used just for that. My daily driver pickup (1/2 ton) is too light for the Plow or I would put it on that and make room in my barn. So with the 1025r now I’m thinking can I task it with snow removal on the driveway? Some people say it’s too light and wouldn’t push that far down the driveway.

I have thought about a HLR snow pusher and raising the shoes to do the gravel drive only. I kind of ruled out a snow blower for the tractor......because of the gravel. Should I look at the Deere Plow? Or should I keep my truck? It’s enclosed and does the job. Just a pain having it take up one of the stalls in my pole barn all year. Let me know what ya think and what attachment you would recommend. Or have you realized the 1025r is too small? I live in Michigan too...... have a great day.

Thanks JB

2018 John Deere 1025R, 60" Auto Connect Deck, 120R Loader, 260B BackHoe with 12" bucket and John Deere Mechanical Thumb

2010 John Deere X500, 48" Mower Deck, with John Deere Utility Cart, Trac Vac Leaf Collection System.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I wouldn’t rule out the snowblower. I use the 54” blower on gravel at home. I also bring it up to the cabin a few times a winter to open up the dirt driveway. This is in northern wi. I do repaint the inside of the blower in spring. I set the shoes to have the blower leave 3/4” of snow until the ground is frozen. I don’t pick up much gravel by doing this. It’s not unusual for me to have to deal with 10 -20 of snow at the cabin. I can’t see the 1026r pushing that kinda snow very far.

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Tons of people push snow with their 1023’s and 1025’s. The rule with small tractors is that they will do what the larger ones will do, just might take longer. Some of the one series guys will respond to you and tell you what they use and how they use it. But I do know your tractor can handle this job.

·
Registered
778 Posts
My 2305 pushed 15" without working hard down a 750' drive with a circle at the top. It just took many passes to get it cleaned up. Several hours of work.
Chains on with a 260bh for ballast.
Bought a woodmaxx blower and last storm took literally 20 minutes. Three quick passes.

·
Registered
12,223 Posts
I'd stick with the truck. You will move more snow in a lot less time with the truck than with the tractor.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,070 Posts
Good Morning,

So I’m now at 15 hours on my 2018 1025r. Been thinking about using it for snow removal. Currently I have a commercial series Husqvarna Hydrostatic Snow Blower I do all the concrete with. Then I have a straight driveway that’s gravel and 300’ or so long. I have an 1999 Ram with a Boss Plow that gets used just for that. My daily driver pickup (1/2 ton) is too light for the Plow or I would put it on that and make room in my barn. So with the 1025r now I’m thinking can I task it with snow removal on the driveway? Some people say it’s too light and wouldn’t push that far down the driveway.

I have thought about a HLR snow pusher and raising the shoes to do the gravel drive only. I kind of ruled out a snow blower for the tractor......because of the gravel. Should I look at the Deere Plow? Or should I keep my truck? It’s enclosed and does the job. Just a pain having it take up one of the stalls in my pole barn all year. Let me know what ya think and what attachment you would recommend. Or have you realized the 1025r is too small? I live in Michigan too...... have a great day.

Thanks JB

2018 John Deere 1025R, 60" Auto Connect Deck, 120R Loader, 260B BackHoe with 12" bucket and John Deere Mechanical Thumb

2010 John Deere X500, 48" Mower Deck, with John Deere Utility Cart, Trac Vac Leaf Collection System.
My first thought is to ditch the Ram but before I commit to that. What is your average snow fall?

You should add your equipment to your signature.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My first thought is to ditch the Ram but before I commit to that. What is your average snow fall?

You should add your equipment to your signature.
Hello,

I have my tractor info in my signature. It’s a. 2018 1025TLB. My ram that I’m debating on replacing is in great shape. It has an 8’ Boss Super Duty Poly straight blade. That’s really all I use the truck for however. Google tells me our average snowfall is around 75 inches.

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
I'd stick with the truck. You will move more snow in a lot less time with the truck than with the tractor.
Hello,

I have my tractor info in my signature. It’s a. 2018 1025TLB. My ram that I’m debating on replacing is in great shape. It has an 8’ Boss Super Duty Poly straight blade. That’s really all I use the truck for however. Google tells me our average snowfall is around 75 inches.

The one series is totally capable of doing what you need it to for your snow removal. But, if the truck isn't costing you anything but maintenance, I'd stick with that. Sitting in a heated truck cab beats an open station tractor IMHO. Besides, I see you have a loader, use that to move the piles back, etc. Then you can say you've used the 1 series for snow work.:thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,070 Posts
Hello,

Seems something may be wrong with your signature as with most, signature information it is not included in a reply such as this one.

I was asking, how much is your average snow fall, as in each snow fall/storm.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Good Morning,

Thanks JB

I use a front blower and than a rear blade. The combo works great.

·
Premium Member
13,820 Posts
Seems something may be wrong with your signature as with most, signature information it is not included in a reply such as this one.

I was asking, how much is your average snow fall, as in each snow fall/storm.
I was thinking it was just my computer, I'm not seeing the signature either.:dunno:

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with ejb69. I also use a blower on about a 1000ft of dirt and gravel drive with some cement. I run it on the skids and it will throw far less gravel than my plow did. I also live in Michigan (Shiawassee county) and I can blow 12" of any kind of snow in about 40 to 60 minutes. I got rid of my pickup last year as I simply didn't need it.
Ron

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
No problem

Your tractor will handle it all just fine. With or without a plow. I plow 3 different drives with my 1025 and it takes a little longer but I also push and dump the snow way back off the drives so there is always plenty of room for the next time I need to plow. Advantages of having a bucket. :) Here is a pic. My avatar is one 2. Good luck and a heated cab is nice. One of these days.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,324 Posts
Benefit of the Pickup Plow -
A. - Heated cab
B. - Larger plow
C. - Ability to drive distances to plow snow for others if that is of interest to you.
D. - You can have passengers with you if that's your thing......

Disadvantages of the Pick Up with Plow -

A. - Takes up space in the pole barn
B. - Ties up capital in a vehicle that you don't use much or for anything else.
C. - Insurance, Upkeep, etc. and if it's a truck you don't use much, you have to be careful with fuel stabilization, etc.
D. - Vehicles not used often tend to have maintenance issues over time.

Personally, the OPERATOR of the equipment makes almost as much difference as does the equipment itself. I have plowed in Michigan in a heavy lake effect snow fall area for 20 years with a 2 wheel drive tractor and weights and traction strips on the tires. I have plowed snowfalls as deep as 3 feet in a single storm. It takes more time when the snow is that deep, but it's absurd to think that the machine can't handle it.

While a plow truck has mass size as it's advantage, it's also a disadvantage when plowing tight areas or circular driveways, etc. I can plow our neighborhood cul de sacs faster with my tractor and plow than the crews we have hired to plow with pick ups because of all the time they spend backing up is not productive when they aren't pushing any snow. Just like any tool, using it wisely and efficiently is the goal to get the most out of it.

If you use the truck with the plow for NOTHING else, you could certainly plow your driveway with a angling snow plow on your tractor. Plowing with the loader and regular bucket is also possible, it's just not nearly as efficient or as fast as being able to angle the snow off the blade.

Personally, I wouldn't want a "Snow Pusher" unless I was plowing only a parking lot as being able to angle off the snow when plowing makes it much faster. Just imagine if you were to plow with your pickup and ONLY PLOW with the blade straight. It's just a slower process and means you are dealing with the same snow over and over while trying to get it to a point where you can pile it. Plus you are cleaning up the snow which comes off the edges all of the time.

The tractor will certainly do the job. I also have a blower but I prefer plowing as it is much faster and leaves the surface bare which makes it easier to plow next time and much safer to walk on. With a gravel driveway, you would definitely want to have either the shoes on the plow set down or the feet on the snow blower sit down to avoid picking up as much gravel as possible. Also, these two stage snow throwers will throw snow (and ice chunks, rocks and other debris which can break windows, dent cars, hurt people or animals) a good 50 to 75 feet or more, depending upon the size of the item. So if you do use a blower, ALWAYS be cognizant of where you are aiming the chute as you don't want to knock out a window or worse.

You can buy an enclosure for your tractor for about $1,000 which would keep the wind off of you. You can also buy a cab if that's what you want. If the only thing you are doing with the plow truck is plowing your driveway, I would seriously think about putting it up for sale and making the most of your tractor. Depending upon the age and condition of the truck, you could very easily have a lot of money tied up in the plow truck which could be put to other uses.

Just don't think that you are going to plow with your FEL bucket and achieve the same speed and efficiency which you would with a dedicated snow plow blade set up for your tractor. Also, if you purchase the front quick hitch and plow blade new, it's easily going to be $1,500 and as much as $4,500 if you go the snow blower route by time you add the front mount and front drive capabilities necessary to run the equipment.

There is a LOT to be said for NOT sitting on the Open Tractor in the winter weather plowing and blowing snow. It was fun 20 years ago, not so much anymore, which is why I bought the Mauser cab and a new tractor to put it on. :good2:

Good luck with your decision.........

·
Premium Member
13,820 Posts
While a plow truck has mass size as it's advantage, it's also a disadvantage when plowing tight areas or circular driveways, etc. I can plow our neighborhood cul de sacs faster with my tractor and plow than the crews we have hired to plow with pick ups because of all the time they spend backing up is not productive when they aren't pushing any snow. Just like any tool, using it wisely and efficiently is the goal to get the most out of it.
That right there is the biggest consideration for me, just the way my house, garage and driveway are layed out it's nearly impossible to plow mine with a truck. The machinery shed on the other hand is pretty much wide open, sometimes I wish I had one for that but it doesn't really take long with the moose plow. Of course, until this year I was doing that with the side by side, now that plow is equipped for my FEL.

·
Premium Member
15,038 Posts
Your tractor will handle it all just fine. With or without a plow. I plow 3 different drives with my 1025 and it takes a little longer but I also push and dump the snow way back off the drives so there is always plenty of room for the next time I need to plow. Advantages of having a bucket. :) Here is a pic. My avatar is one 2. Good luck and a heated cab is nice. One of these days.

SIL was forever using his fel to remove snow , always told us he could do it quicker than using a front blade on his 2305. His father and myself kept telling
him he was nuts to take off he fel and use his front blade. The first winter living at his new house with a apx 1/2mile drive he started cleaning driveway of 15" snow using fel. After I'm thinking 2 hrs he had maybe 40-70' cleared. Our daughter was talking with my wife telling her what he was doing I told her to tell her husband put on the D--- front blade. He listened (surprised the heck out of me ) about 2 hrs later ,maybe less , he had his driveway cleared. He finally agreed that front blade was quicker., only took 8 years.:banghead::banghead:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,070 Posts
Just my opinion here. With the snow amount we get here I think if I had to pick between the FEL or the small JD snow blade, I'd pick the FEL.
In comparing the two, the FEL makes more sense cause the small blade makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Keep the truck and plow with it. Or Get a snow blower for your 1025R and use your bucket to clean up the loose snow.

We all have differance use for our tractors, I had a 1025R and liked it but when it came to the cold freezing snow and staying out in for 3 hours it got old fast.
Now I have a 3033R with a 6 foot front plow and a snow blower. It cut my time in half.

I'm looking for a cheap truck with a plow but that snow blower sure work good.:laugh:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts