Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a place in Northern Wisconsin. Presently I pay $600 per year for snow plowing/removal with a huge FEL. I have owned my first tractor, a 3039R for a year now. While I did move some snow, my FEL would fill fast and it took a long, long time to relocate snow, a bucket at a time.

Since it is the end of the season, I assume snow equipment might be had at a better price. This got me to wondering about the ability of my tractor to plow my 1/8 mile blacktop driveway, and what would work the best for a reasonable price?

Any suggestions regarding equipment and cost and feasibility are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,983 Posts
Since it is the end of the season, I assume snow equipment might be had at a better price. This got me to wondering about the ability of my tractor to plow my 1/8 mile blacktop driveway, and what would work the best for a reasonable price?
What do you consider to be a reasonable price? A loader mounted plow blade seems like a tool that should work.

·
Registered
12,553 Posts
What do you consider to be a reasonable price? A loader mounted plow blade seems like a tool that should work.
I agree with jgayman, however I find it very difficult to talk about snow removal right now :lol:

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
You're going to get LOTS of varied opinions on this.

You'll have no problem moving snow with your machine. Lots of us do it with smaller machines.

So some questions to help you work through your options:

Do you have room to push snow on both sides of the driveway? If you do then a plow and/or pusher are options. If not, then look hard at a blower.

Do you get lots of smaller storms (up to 6") or more large storms (12"+)? A plow is much faster for smaller storms but a blower is sometimes faster in larger storms.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A "reasonable price might be ...... 59 cents??? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Seriously, I have no idea whatsoever how much a plow or a blower would cost. In Northern Wisconsin I am in southern edge of the snow belt. We get a lot of 6" snows and a few 24" + each year. Also, go green or is there a better, more reasonable alternative? Like I said, I am a neophyte

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
All depends on the type and amount of snow you get over night most of the time and if you have bad deep storms 2-4 ft deep at once! 3-6" over night is nothing to plow with even angled plywood stuck on the front end. I used my loader for a while on my 4044M was not impressed moving 6-12" of snow the rear 8' blade would smoke it on the driveway. 12/24" you need the loader to open things up some to be able to use the rear blade. 24" to 4' is a totally different matter. Then you need the big stuff like a loader, snow blower, snow pusher blade and the most used tool on a tractor the rear blade to clean up all the stuff those other tools left on the surface. Snow Blowers do not like wet snow very much and is not thrown far. Dry snow and a few rocks can take out a window on your house it throws it so far!! Don't ask but it did not break the glass. If you have 4 ft to go thru a Big Blower would be nice to drive right in and put the snow somewhere a longs ways off from the mess your working with. Best thing about dealing with snow removal you get better at it every year with the right equipment. Last 22 years I have been working with over 4 feet plus every year and only owned 1 walk behind snow blower. Then I bought a tractor after the first year with a rear blade. I was in seventh heaven just drive down the driveway and the snow slides off the rear blade to the side. Easy till you relies 3 months into winter you should have pushed it as far as it could go cause now your out of room! This is where the Loader comes in handy!! I know where a 6 ft wide snow blower is if we ever get those 20 year storms again. Till then I use a 6' Pusher Blade I made for $200.00 or so on my loader to open stuff up and the rear blade to make it nice and clean. At the end of winter I leave the rear blade on and put my Bucket on to move the piles I made over 9 ft tall with the pusher blade! pusher2.jpg Snow.jpg 64392-5.jpg DSCF3673.jpg DSCF3676.jpg 100_0381 (800x600).jpg 100_0375 (800x600).jpg The gravel is really still there at the end of winter! 100_0536.jpg But winter is now over and I enjoy moving dirt/gravel making lots of dust with my Rear Blade instead!! Tractors sure stays cleaner in the winter around here!! 100_0995.jpg 100_0853.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,983 Posts
Seriously, I have no idea whatsoever how much a plow or a blower would cost. In Northern Wisconsin I am in southern edge of the snow belt. We get a lot of 6" snows and a few 24" + each year. Also, go green or is there a better, more reasonable alternative? Like I said, I am a neophyte
The lighter stuff will be no problem but when using a plow on the bigger storms you may need to plow with the storm - meaning you go out a few times while its snowing so it doesn't get too deep. Unlike with a snow blower where you can usually wait till it's all over and then go clean it once.

The JD front plow options are a bit limited. You will find better options elsewhere. Especially from the companies that specialize in snow removal equipment. Cost can vary a lot depending on if you want something that can be tilted hydraulically - which quite frankly I have no idea why anyone would buy something that isn't, especially with a long driveway.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Hydraulically changing the angle on my Rear Blade is on my #1 list to deal with this summer. It would make it so nice not getting off and on to do it in the middle of a snow storm. And yes you do have to plow with the storm as it happens or you end up with a ton of work later using just a rear blade. Heck I could use it doing dirt work also!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The lighter stuff will be no problem but when using a plow on the bigger storms you may need to plow with the storm - meaning you go out a few times while its snowing so it doesn't get too deep. Unlike with a snow blower where you can usually wait till it's all over and then go clean it once.

The JD front plow options are a bit limited. You will find better options elsewhere. Especially from the companies that specialize in snow removal equipment. Cost can vary a lot depending on if you want something that can be tilted hydraulically - which quite frankly I have no idea why anyone would buy something that isn't, especially with a long driveway.

The reason that I had a service is that I am not there all of the time. I often go up for a week a month. This rules out plowing with the storm. I thought I could park on the highway and walk (trudge) in, get the tractor from the garage and plow to my car.

Probably a dumb idea. I am 70 so I would probably be best served using the service and letting my kids worry about a plow when they get the place (Hope not for a LONG time!)

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
At 66 it is a work out sometimes clearing out my place and that is about all I have to do all day? I have a neighbor 69 years old not in the best of health heart wise and he rides a "Snow Mobile" about 3 miles to get to his house from the county road we both live on! I told him to buy a Enclosed Sno-Cat type machine and have a heater, room to put stuff and a shelter if you get stuck in bad weather going home at night!! Nope he takes the snow mobile and will die one day doing it but gets a brand new truck every couple of years? I quit checking up and now just watch how long his truck stays in one place. I can see it with binoculars from my place.

Now I try to have a little more confert even if it costs more just not as Hard Core as I used to be 10 years ago. Still do way more then most people my age I know??? Talked my 83 year old Mother in Law to have a local Maintenance Crew do her driveway and 2 acre lawn! I just can't do it anymore and her husband passed on leaving way more money then she needs to pay for the service. So now we go over and can enjoy talking instead of mowing her lawn in 80-90 degree weather. I have a 10x20 lawn just for that reason and it belongs to the dogs. That goes for the snow too it is just done and life is so much easier for her. PS she can still work me in the ground! But it is nice healthy work removing snow as long as I can quit when I want and get warm again!

·
Registered
140 Posts
The reason that I had a service is that I am not there all of the time. I often go up for a week a month. This rules out plowing with the storm. I thought I could park on the highway and walk (trudge) in, get the tractor from the garage and plow to my car.

Probably a dumb idea. I am 70 so I would probably be best served using the service and letting my kids worry about a plow when they get the place (Hope not for a LONG time!)
I'm in the same boat as you. Go up to the cabin once a month, more in winter to use snowmobiles. I have a small lawn tractor with a blower. I do the same, park on County road, tredge in to get tractor out, blow drive to get car in.

I am 20 years younger than you, so can see your concern.

Guys laughed at me when I drove up to just clean the drive off so the girls could get in to do their sled trip. Went up, cleaned drive and came home same day. 13.5 hour day.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I would say the cheapest is to get edge tamers for the bucket and use that.

Next maybe a snow pusher

Followed by an angling blade on the loader arms but that will probably need a 3rd function on the FEL if you don't have it.

You could look around for a used rear blower that is Cat 1. That would probably be cheaper than a snow pusher or blade option.

It kind of depends though on what you need. I live in MN. Our area is pretty wooded so drifting isn't an issue. I normally just plow. This is the first winter in 4 years I used the blower. My co-worker who also lives in MN. While we both live in a rural area, my house is more in a grove where his is a newer house basically in a field. Even with a snow fence if he plows, every night the wind blows and drifts it back in. He plows more making taller banks on the side of the driveway. It drifts in again and is now deeper than it was before. For him he has to blow it. He needs to get it away from the driveway.

·
Premium Member
10,983 Posts
I would say the cheapest is to get edge tamers for the bucket and use that.

Next maybe a snow pusher
I'm wondering how a snow pusher would work on a 1/8 mile driveway. Same with the bucket. I would think it is going to get full very quickly and just start spilling over the sides and/or top.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I'm wondering how a snow pusher would work on a 1/8 mile driveway. Same with the bucket. I would think it is going to get full very quickly and just start spilling over the sides and/or top.
You either shovel the snow and dump it, or push the snow off the side of your road. I use a combination of both for my 1/4 mile driveway.

I used to want an old county plow truck (double duty dump truck w/bonus plow), but now I just want a blower for the JD.

If there's too little snow for blowing, I'd use the bucket.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
You either shovel the snow and dump it, or push the snow off the side of your road. I use a combination of both for my 1/4 mile driveway.

I used to want an old county plow truck (double duty dump truck w/bonus plow), but now I just want a blower for the JD.

If there's too little snow for blowing, I'd use the bucket.
Here is our County Snow Blower followed by a Grader some times opening up our road to town this winter. DSCF3695.jpg A engine for the drive line and one for the blower this baby sucks some fuel down opening up our road. My rear blade makes it look like this when done. DSCF3648 (800x597).jpg I would have to move the chute a lot on a big blower going down my driveway with stuff on both sides most of the way. Probley could blow it forward most of the time to the end.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I paid almost that for the year at my place in Maine. I go up about 2 weekends a month.

If you are not there to plow after every storm what is your back up plan if the snow is wet or it rains after a snow storm then turns into a block of ice from a cold front?

I had the money and bought the blower knowing I will live there full time at some point. I'm not a fan of putting a plow on my personal pick up but have plowed snow for over 35 years both for private, town and state. A plow installed on a 3/4 ton truck costs almost as much as my blower and having a tractor is a must, not a want so the choice was easy for me to blow it. When blowing, you don't worry about pushing it back for the season.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I paid almost that for the year at my place in Maine. I go up about 2 weekends a month.

If you are not there to plow after every storm what is your back up plan if the snow is wet or it rains after a snow storm then turns into a block of ice from a cold front?
Very good point. I guess the service with a huge FEL has always worked for me and will still be a good idea. When I am not there, a lot could happen and I would be in a mess. Rather than a good, money saving idea, this was probably an excuse to buy myself another "needed" toy.

Thanks for opening my eyes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts