Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to everyone that posted my previous subject of 2 family vs 3 family. I still haven’t decided. I needed to take a breather. I was driving my family (and myself) crazy just trying to reason what my needs are vs what will truly get the job done. Now that I’m back into research again, I find myself considering the lower options of a 2025R for its affordability vs the 2032/38R.
Sergeant, I’d be curious on your current thought with your 2025R (is it the newer 2025R?).

My real reason for THIS post is what does everyone do for snow removal? Blade (front vs rear), bucket, thrower? Is 32HP / 38HP really better than 25HP or do you not notice? My driveway is 600’ paved, down hill or uphill (whatever your perspective). I live in Maryland. Some years no snow (like this year). But usually, once every 5 years, we get huge snowfall of 2 feet.

My purchase will only be the newer 2 family unless my tax return is larger (I know I shouldn’t let Uncle Trump keep my money and I should adjust my taxes so he doesn’t) than expected and I can afford the 3 family. I was planning on a front blade, but definitely open to suggestions.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
12,545 Posts
Lots of reading in the link that Gizmo2 posted. :thumbup1gif:

Snow removal doesn't require a lot of HP, it only requires the right set up for your needs and lots of traction.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lots of reading in the link that Gizmo2 posted. :thumbup1gif:

Snow removal doesn't require a lot of HP, it only requires the right set up for your needs and lots of traction.
I decided to buy a new 2018 2025R because it had the same horsepower as my 770 which handled the heavy snow plowing
here in upstate New York as well as mowing 4+ acres. The 2025R sits higher than the 1025R but not as high as my 770.
The new 2025R handled plowing over 1 foot deep snow in November with no problems. I use an old heavy ford back blade.
The rear 3pt lift handled the weight of the rear blade fine but the height of lift was significantly less than what I expected.

Overall the 2025R meets my needs..It cost around $2000 more than the 1025R but the extra height made plowing a lot
easier and was worth the extra cost. The higher end 2 series were much more expensive and was much more than what I
needed.

I hope my experience helps out.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
For no more snow than we normally get around here, my FEL and 60" back blade is what I use.

We had a lot more than normal year in 2014 and my 1025R handled it just fine. May have taken me a little longer than some that have a front blade mounted, but my bucket got the job done.

T9iS3sU.jpg

And it had no problem stacking the snow into a pile.
DmxtyW3.jpg

·
Registered
12,545 Posts
I decided to buy a new 2018 2025R because it had the same horsepower as my 770 which handled the heavy snow plowing
here in upstate New York as well as mowing 4+ acres. The 2025R sits higher than the 1025R but not as high as my 770.
The new 2025R handled plowing over 1 foot deep snow in November with no problems. I use an old heavy ford back blade.
The rear 3pt lift handled the weight of the rear blade fine but the height of lift was significantly less than what I expected.

Overall the 2025R meets my needs..It cost around $2000 more than the 1025R but the extra height made plowing a lot
easier and was worth the extra cost. The higher end 2 series were much more expensive and was much more than what I
needed.

I hope my experience helps out.
I agree, we do get a good amount of snow on an average year, I plowed last year with my 1023 and then all the late March/April snows last year with my 2025. I use a FEL mounted 72" Moose plow on both, but the visibility and traction are so much better on the 2025 it makes it easier for sure. I'm in eastern Otsego County, so we get lake effect and pounded by nor'eaters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This works best for me.1026R front bucket with edge tamers and rear blade with skids. My driveway is 1/2 mile long unpaved. Like you,I’m on a hill. From the house I plow downhill! Depending on the type of snow. I’ve already plowed down and was unable to get the tractor up to the house, so you’ll need tire chains. The reason I use the bucket, its simply. On a hill you will get yourself into a spot where you’ll need the bucket to push off with. Edge tamers are the key! Your bucket will act like a snow pusher! And you’ll still have the ability to move and pile snow where you need it. My hill is steep on the way down I’ll use both the bucket and rear blade. Going up I just drop the blade to clean up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
When I had a 1025R, I used a front snowblower and rear blade. The blade was for cleanup since I'm on a gravel driveway and I couldn't get the blower too low without spitting rocks. Even so, when I traded it in, the housing where the impeller was was down to bare steel. I also used the back blade for light snow when the blower would have been slow and pointless. I prefer a back blade to a front blade because you can just set it and go. With a front blade you have to be careful to not get caught on stuff. Of course a back blade can't handle anywhere near the amount snow a front blade can unless you go backwards with it, but that's what the blower was for.

325.JPG

Here is a video of the blower in action in 3-4ft drifts:

1025r blowing 3+ snow drifts - YouTube

This setup worked great for snow. As you can see from the video, I had no complaints about effectiveness. It took on stuff you'd think you need a much larger tractor for--but you don't. My one complaint was that with the snowblower on the front, I didn't have a loader all winter. Switching was enough of a pain that however convenient it would have been to have a loader or forks, that convenience was far outweighed by the hassle of switching. But I always thought that a rear snowblower would be very uncomfortable to use, so I never gave it too much thought beyond the initial "which to get."

When I got my 2032, I was going to get a front blower. Had it priced and everything. Then I toyed around with the idea of getting a 3032E with a rear blower, and spent an hour driving one around the dealer lot backwards. I realized that if you turn in the seat so that you're sideways, it's pretty comfortable. So when I decided on the 2032, I got one with a rear blower.

This is my current setup. I have the blower in the rear that only comes on for heavy stuff. I use Edge Tamers on the bucket to clear the parking area (where I have 3/4" crushed stone) and the same small back blade from my 1025 for plowing up to 10" or so. It's the RB2060L, and it weighs only about 150lbs. I can pick it up and move it by hand. This is important because it doesn't tear up the driveway, even when it's not frozen. I don't want to grade my driveway while removing snow.

aaa.jpg

The advantages of a rear blower are numerous.

1. It's bigger and handles more/deeper snow (compared to the front 59" blower for the large 2Rs).
2. It's easily attached and removed (especially with iMatch).
3. You get to have your loader on all winter.
4. It's universal...if you need to sell it, anyone can use it. Or if you get a different tractor, you can still use it.

I have rear SCVs, but I haven't gotten the hydraulic rotation/angling kits yet because I haven't seen the need to. The crank works fine and I don't see a need to change the deflector much or at all, but time will tell as we get more snow.

So far I've used the small rear blade and bucket with edge tamers almost exclusively. I've found the split brakes to be really handy for steering, as I'm on a steep hill with ditches on the side of my driveway and sometimes the front tires don't have enough grip to steer effectively. Overall I prefer this setup to the front blower on the 1025R. The rear blower is not a problem at all as long as you're sideways in the seat, but there is some small amount of strain that builds up over time. Nothing worth losing the loader all winter, or giving up the bigger blower.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
This works best for me.1026R front bucket with edge tamers and rear blade with skids. My driveway is 1/2 mile long unpaved. Like you,I’m on a hill. From the house I plow downhill! Depending on the type of snow. I’ve already plowed down and was unable to get the tractor up to the house, so you’ll need tire chains. The reason I use the bucket, its simply. On a hill you will get yourself into a spot where you’ll need the bucket to push off with. Edge tamers are the key! Your bucket will act like a snow pusher! And you’ll still have the ability to move and pile snow where you need it. My hill is steep on the way down I’ll use both the bucket and rear blade. Going up I just drop the blade to clean up.
How do you get those skids to stay in place? I tightened mine until I thought the bolt would snap and they still turn/spin. I was going to drill a hole and put a pin in to keep them in place but then I just took them off and that worked better. :)

Do you angle the blade at all? I feel like they might not spin if you keep the blade straight.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Is 32HP / 38HP really better than 25HP or do you not notice? My driveway is 600’ paved, down hill or uphill (whatever your perspective). I live in Maryland. Some years no snow (like this year). But usually, once every 5 years, we get huge snowfall of 2 feet.
There is snow removal equipment designed to match each of the machines so HP isn't really a big issue there, IMO. A bigger machine just allows you to choose bigger implements. But lots of people would rather have the smaller machine (for any number of reasons!) and spend more time on them.

IMO, the 25HP vs. 32HP vs. 38HP really comes into play with PTO driven implements. The differences in horsepower getting to the PTO can be more significant than engine HP.

·
Registered
521 Posts
We got right at 17 inches of snow one day in December and I was able to plow our 1/4 mile driveway no problem with the 2025R and 60inch loader mounted plow. It allowed me to pile the snow as high as I wanted. Traction or power was never an issue. I have filled tires but otherwise no extra weight on Tractor and R4s. My driveway is steep and has several sharp turns. I couldn’t have asked for a better snow removal setup. I also added the rubber edge to my plow this year. It’s a great upgrade also. Saves my asphalt and is so much quieter and does a great job. Just used a piece of old mining belt and has held up great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Is 32HP / 38HP really better than 25HP or do you not notice?
Yes, it's "better" and no you probably won't notice. Assuming you have enough HP to use implement (e.g. snowblower), the only way higher HP manifests in the real world is that you can go faster while chewing up snow.

So say you hit a 3' drift and you have 20hp. Well, you're gonna bog down as all that snow hits the blower. So you slow down and power through it at a certain pace, say X MPH.

Now say you have 30hp, but everything else is the same. You're still gonna bog down, but, now you can go a little faster, say X + 0.25 MPH. Will you notice how much faster? Depends on the hp difference, but probably not.

With plowing, and to a certain extent snowblowing, it depends on whether you have the traction to use the extra hp. If you do, you can go a little faster. If not, you won't.

If you have a very long driveway, or plow/blow multiple driveways, the speed difference will probably be quite noticeable on your watch when you're done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts