Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My little 1990 JD 318 (28 HP, gasser) has a 54" snow plow and a 47" snow blower on it. The both have shoes to help support them, but those shoes are for a hard surface not gravel. So when we get snow (not too often here in North Carolina) it's always fun to try to plow or (if we're really lucky) blow some snow.

Typically, there is no layer of frozen gravel since any snow is the only snow on the gravel. So to plow, I have to leave the blade up and let the shoes occasionally hit the gravel if there's a bump. I can't float the blade. Same story on the snow blower. It's _very_ front heavy so trying to suspend it 3" above the gravel is hard. The front tires add a lot of bounce. For the blower, the shoes are sort of a "crash stop" if things get bouncy too much.

If I use the blower, I assume there will be a 2nd pass with the blade. That way, I can have the blower high enough that I don't have to worry about eating gravel.

I have an untried answer for the blower (see pix), the weak link being how well the hard wheel without a bearing to the axle will hold up. If it works well, I could always change out the hard wheels for a 7 or 8 inch air tire caster with real bearings. The blower is on a "low boy" dolly I made.

In the picture of my "baby's new shoes", on the right you can see the add on skid plates for the snow blower. The one on the far right shows the size of the existing blower shoe. The plate is 12" long by 6" wide. The big question is "will this let me float the blower?"

For the plow, you can see the original JD shoes on the far left. I took an old set and had a metal shop weld on a holder for some "grown man" shoes. Like the blower, the goal is to increase the surface area. The blade should be about 1.5" above the top of a flat surface, which is about where you want it. It can be adjusted higher. I'll have to test it to see if the blade can now float. If not, I can use it the same "suspend the blade" way and we'll see if it does better. The small shoes just dig into the gravel. The cost of the Big Shoes was about $18, which is about the same cost as the JD shoes from JD ! Shipping about the same as cost of time to go to JD dealer.

I tried the plastic pipe on the blade, it shattered in the 1st 100 feet.

Last pix is of rear of 318 with chains and weights.

Suggestions on good spray on primer paint? Subsequent black paint?

I'll fire this thread back up when I put the shoes on for a test, and then some day/some year if we get snow.

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
In the picture of my "baby's new shoes", on the right you can see the add on skid plates for the snow blower. The one on the far right shows the size of the existing blower shoe. The plate is 12" long by 6" wide. The big question is "will this let me float the blower?"
Does you ground freeze? I only ask because i know with the 2.5/3" Wide x 8" long shoes, its more then enough to float my blower...but my ground is frozen hard like a rock.

I tried the plastic pipe on the blade, it shattered in the 1st 100 feet.
FIL has a Cutting edge with a pipe welded to it..can swap it for the original cutting edge easily. Works like a charm..IMO the way to go. I've got a Fisher plow that I modified for mine, I'll tell you the problem I see with shoes...mine dont sink in, but IMO the shoes are BEHIND the cutting edge...so unless I keep them WAY high, I still grade off/scrape the dirt sometimes..IMO the best "Skid" solution is long shoes In FRONT of the cutting edge, like a SnoPush has. I know its way easier for me to snowblow in that regard...because the shoes are ahead of the cutting edge.

Suggestions on good spray on primer paint? Subsequent black paint?.

Best primer I've used is the Napa 7220 Self Etching Primer. Its the Pro Grade stuff, some NAPA's dont have it on the shelf, you gotta ask for it... As for black, I like the JD Blitz Black...A cheaper alternative that works amazingly well given its origin :laugh: is the "Rust Control" paint from Wally World...2.97 for a can, I usually stock like 5 cans of the Satin...

·
Registered
75 Posts
eepte,

I built a pair of shoes almost identical for my 54 blower. Didn't work, still dug into the gravel.

My next move will be adding a pair of 8 inch wheels mounted on large angle sections welded to the bottom of the shoes. The wheels will wind up positioned about where your trailer jacks are.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
HHHHHmmmmm. I am interested in seeing how this turns out.

Runner, you have to remember that the size of your skid shoes have to be large enough to support the weight of the unit. And take into account the softness of the material supporting it. Your on the right track just not big enough surface area. Also you may need a larger lead in on the front. Call me "skeptic" but I am not sure the wheels are going to be your solution. Unless you go large to account for surface area vs weight, same problem. Good luck, keep us upto date.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave, you are just about guaranteed that the ground will not freeze. The one massive snow we had back in 2000 the ground was frozen, so the blower was pretty good- the supplied shoes worked OK for most of the time. But the blower still ate too much gravel. I had to have the impeller chamber re-lined. Deere should have made that out of 1/4" metal, not 1/8".
On the plow, these shoes should be somewhat under the cutting edge. When I mount the plow to check it all out I'll post a pix. Having plowed and blown a lot in Massachusetts on a paved driveway, I can tell you this southern gravel is a whole different beast.

Tnx for the primmer lead. Can I get an "Amen" from Kennyd?

Runner, what were the dimensions of your shoes? From the pix, it looks like they are smaller that what I'm trying. If the wheels look like the right solution, but have problems, then it's time for bigger area wheels with good bearings. While it will dig into the gravel a bit, I can adjust the height to compensate and the "roll" will still be better than a "push".

I have both solutions for the blower at the ready since there are so few times we have snow and I can test out solutions.

Randy, this is a thread in progress waiting for some weather. I don't know what year I'll have an answer though... :laugh:

Pete

·
Registered
75 Posts
"Runner, what were the dimensions of your shoes? From the pix, it looks like they are smaller that what I'm trying."

I used 4" wide plate, same length as the original shoes. Maybe something longer, like actual ski's would do the trick.

I'm thinkinig if I use fairly wide tires, set at about the same level as the skids, between the two of them (or four of them) it might work. All I can do it experiment with them.

Here are the wheels I'm thinking of using:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Runner, if we can get some snow I'll know. I can try the 6 x 12 "short ski" plates, and try my "on the side" wheels. If I get a spare afternoon :)mocking:) I'd like to put the blower on and push it in dry gravel. There would be no benefit of lubrication by the snow. That would give me a feel for what works.

It's a little harder to do that with the plow. My gut feel is it will need snow. But hey if I put them on, I'll go out and push some gravel to see how close it is.

If we solve the "blowing snow on gravel" problem, next we can take on "R1 vs. R4" dilemma :lol:.

Pete

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Tnx for the primmer lead. Can I get an "Amen" from Kennyd?
Don't listen to me...if Dave lies I will swear to it:mocking:

But seriously, Dave turned me onto the same stuff-and I have been using it quite successfully so far. I like Krylon top coats-goes on well and dries fast. The best I have used is the Krylon Epoxy paint but you have to order it online. But for most projects the regular stuff is fine.

Oh, and you need a welder! (sorry, had to say it!):flag_of_truce:

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
"Runner, what were the dimensions of your shoes? From the pix, it looks like they are smaller that what I'm trying."

I used 4" wide plate, same length as the original shoes. Maybe something longer, like actual ski's would do the trick.

I'm thinkinig if I use fairly wide tires, set at about the same level as the skids, between the two of them (or four of them) it might work. All I can do it experiment with them.

Here are the wheels I'm thinking of using:
Runner, welcome to DT-Glad to have you aboard:lol:

Do you know how to use the "quote" button? I end up reading what you are trying to quote only to realize I have already read it before...

·
Registered
733 Posts
Oh....Forgot it might be soon to tell, but as far as topcoats go, one spray I got recently was the Rust Oleum Professional at Fastenal (Pretty sure i seen it at Lowes/Home Depot :think:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Runner, welcome to DT-Glad to have you aboard:lol:

Do you know how to use the "quote" button? I end up reading what you are trying to quote only to realize I have already read it before...
Thanks, Kenny, glad to be here.

No, never figured out how to use quotes on "that other web site" and not sure if I can do it here. I'll try it here and see if it works.

Hey, cool, looks like it did.....

Pete, it will be interesting to see how it goes... hope it works.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Thanks, Kenny, glad to be here.

No, never figured out how to use quotes on "that other web site" and not sure if I can do it here. I'll try it here and see if it works.

Hey, cool, looks like it did.....

Pete, it will be interesting to see how it goes... hope it works.
:good2: Perfect! Much easier to read that way! If you don't want to quote the whole thing, you can just delete the part of the text you don't want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts