Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those of you with a JD 47" or 54" front snow blower, do you have a problem with snow sticking to the inside of the housing? I never have issues with the chute clogging but the snow just seems to stick like crazy to the inside of the housing. The area above the auger usually packs solid as does the area and corners behind the auger. It doesn't seem to matter if the snow is wet or fluffy. Again, I've had no problems at all with the chute clogging.

I store my equipment in an unheated detached building so my blower is at the same temperature as the outside air.

I'm ready to try some kind of spray like silicon or PAM. The dedicated snow blower sprays seem very over priced but I would be willing to try one if it works.

After the last snow I spent about 20+ minutes chiseling the snow from the inside of the housing and never did get it all cleaned off. It was hard as concrete.

·
Premium Member
15,087 Posts
Yep spray the cheapest Pam from Family Dollar or where ever , don't spend the money for the name brand stuff.
I usually spray just the chute area , haven't tried inside of the housing but it should help.

·
Super Moderator
8,207 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
I never really have much trouble with snow sticking. I use silicone spray. I always clean as much of the snow as I can with my hands and a fox tail brush. Then I engage the snow thrower again once again before I park it in my garage. My garage is unheated but what little snow remains tend to melt away.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
This year for poops and giggles I sprayed my chute and blower housing with Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector. I had been running the blower at low RPM. The chute plugged. I powered up to fully throttle and pushed into the snow, and for the first time with this blower it unplugged itself. Surprised the heck out of me.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This year for poops and giggles I sprayed my chute and blower housing with Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector. I had been running the blower at low RPM. The chute plugged. I powered up to fully throttle and pushed into the snow, and for the first time with this blower it unplugged itself. Surprised the heck out of me.
Regardless of the snow consistency I have had zero problems with the chute clogging. Even when blowing pure slush along the road.

The image below shows the areas where the snow packs and sticks.

Blower_stick.jpg

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Registered
418 Posts
Check out Fluid Film, this stuff works very well!!!!

http://www.fluid-film.com/applications/winter_equipment/

"FLUID FILM will not freeze, remaining active to migrate on metal surfaces. Penetrating metal pores, FLUID FILM creates an airtight seal that blocks road salts and moisture. Remaining slick in sub-zero temperatures, FLUID FILM is an excellent release agent for snow, helping to keep snow and ice from building up or sticking to metal. FLUID FILM is also the perfect product for winterizing equipment stored indoors and out."

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Tried the cooking spray -- didn't work for me

I tried the cooking spray. After a few times the auger and interior seemed to be really sticky and made things worse until I cleaned it all off. I saw a previous thread on this topic recommending the fluid film. I bought some and I'm going to try that.

Several people commented that the exhaust hits the blower and warms the housing. So any of the solutions to this problem (curved end piece for exhaust, deflector) may help reduce this problem.

My garage is semi-heated. I have to take the blower outside and let it go down to ambient temperature (5 to 10 minutes) before using it.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Snow tends to stick / build up in my blower. It does not seem to cause any issues for me. I have never had the blower plug up even when blowing slushy snow.

·
Registered
740 Posts
In the past I have soaked a rag in diesel or used motor oil and then rubbed down the inside of the snow blower. It seems to work well for the cost and has the added benefit of also being a rust preventive.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Check out Fluid Film, this stuff works very well!!!!

Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor

"FLUID FILM will not freeze, remaining active to migrate on metal surfaces. Penetrating metal pores, FLUID FILM creates an airtight seal that blocks road salts and moisture. Remaining slick in sub-zero temperatures, FLUID FILM is an excellent release agent for snow, helping to keep snow and ice from building up or sticking to metal. FLUID FILM is also the perfect product for winterizing equipment stored indoors and out."
Our highway department uses Fluid Film on their plows and sidewalk snowblower's. I tried it under the superintends recommendation.. It worked but it's pretty oily, you will get your gloves oily when you clean the blower out. I use silicon "spray". I don't want to get in trouble like Frank did stealing his wife's PAM especially if it's the buttery PAM.. The silicon spray works great. You still need to clean the blower out with what's left but it comes out very easy, no need to chisel anything.. I do every inch of the blower inside and out especially where the exhaust hits the blower, that part will freeze solid. I do not have a heated garage unless I want it heated when I am working out there so I never have an issue with ambient temps causing the snow to stick right of the bat.. I did use the Fluid Film on the chain once but didn't like the way it wore off so quickly. I also put a 210 BTU torpedo heater in front of the blower to dry it after it's in the garage to get every bit of snow and water off the unit especially under the chute pulley cover. That gets full of snow and the last thing I want is for that to freeze and break the cable or worse.. That area needs some improvement with design. Slush goes right into the cover so maybe a little welding of some steel is in order to make the snow and slush go over the cover and not into it..? Silicon works for me. In fact we are headed to Lowes this afternoon to stock up, I am out plus I need a coax cable tool!

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Regardless of the snow consistency I have had zero problems with the chute clogging. Even when blowing pure slush along the road.

The image below shows the areas where the snow packs and sticks.

View attachment 130433
Yep I get sticking there too. But definitely block up consistently. But you do not have the damned plastic impeller. I have gotten the metalone and will be buying all of the components to do a full rebuild(minus the gearbox) including changing the drive chain gears and chain to something NON OEM.SKF for bearings and perhaps Koch (#50) for the chain drive, with a Keyshaft replacement shaft. What a bunch of junk they are putting out these days. Mine has so much run out in the small gear I cannot get close to the required spec for the chain. Just garbage. Hope Deere is reading.

Reactions: tj1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have not had a problem with snow sticking as you have described. I would give it a good cleaning, and wax or spray it really good with silicon. I like using good quality product as I think it works better. It's probably just psychological on my part. Many times you can buy good name products on ebay cheap, free shipping and no tax.

Reactions: tj1

·
Banned
419 Posts
Chute clogging

Look a the design of the chute. Inside where the chute and the housing mate there is area that if snow falls down the chute it will catch it is not a smooth transition falling back down as is in most blowers. If your engine stalls the snow falls down the chute and packs(even worse when wet). I noticed it when I was painting mine. I did not use it but there is a paint called SLIP PLATE it is a graphite that is used on farm gravity wagons and combine bins. I used it befor4 on my 318 single stage that plugged every time I used it. Even after doing the rubber blade attachments. Only have had the 54 plug once. I was into a packed pile and feed it to fast and it stalled and plugged. I remember when I was a kid parents bought me a blower for Christmas. Little did I know the real reason behind it at the time. It was a REO had a clutch that you pushed in from the side to engage and disengage had a spring around a race with bearing balls in it. After a few frustrating weeks of using it Dad made a screw band hose clamp and a long rod with a bent handle and turned it to hold in place. That defeated the safety as it did not have any shear bolts. It had a chute set up much like Deere and always plugged

1 - 14 of 14 Posts