Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a used 42" thrower on my L120. Wow, am I disappointed! We just got about 3 inches of snow and it would throw the snow 4-5 feet at most! I ended up blowing the same snow probably 5 times. I just ended up using the thing as a plow.

This is pathetic compared to my walk behind thrower, which throws at least 15 feet.

Is there something I need to fix or do I just have unrealistic expectations?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,054 Posts
I don't really know but it doesn't seem right.
Are ya running full RPM's?
Belts (if any) on correct pulleys?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah everything looks good. the impeller is moving very fast. i can take a video or pictures if that would help.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,054 Posts
yeah everything looks good. the impeller is moving very fast. i can take a video or pictures if that would help.
It just may for others. I don't have one and never used one. 4-5 feet does seem lame.

BTW, where ya from?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
3 inches of snow really isn't a lot. How fast were you feeding the unit? Snow blowers like lots of snow.

Also, was it a wet heavy snow?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
3 inches of snow really isn't a lot. How fast were you feeding the unit? Snow blowers like lots of snow.

Also, was it a wet heavy snow?
I'm going to bet it was heavy wet snow based on the season and that the relative light amount of snow also made for an underwhelming experience. Did you perhaps try your walk behind at a similar feed rate in the same snow?

Wait until you get 6-12" of fluffy stuff and can really feed that blower before you condemn it completely.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Being from Wisconsin and hearing the weather reports from the two states lately... I'm going to guess heavy wet snow, like said..

Also like said.... When you get a foot of dry fluffy snow to work with it will be a different story..

Now.. I can't help but wonder if a belt driven L series blower isn't a single state blower.. ???
This will make a big difference in performance.. If so, don't be further surprised if 6" and 12" of snow are two very different experiences...

Each time I have used my JD 59", pto driven (2 stage) blower, every time has been a different experience..

Good luck..

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
I'll throw out a question, two stage or single? One more, is it a JD blower or another brand? With all these questions answered and not just mine we should be able to come up with something for you.. Don't hit the wall yet!

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Randy do you have a tricked up 25G computer system? I barely had time to submit and you were right there!!!! Incredible..

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Randy do you have a tricked up 25G computer system? I barely had time to submit and you were right there!!!! Incredible..
:unknown: Just your standard company issued engineering work station (HP Z230).

NOW! back to your regularly scheduled thread.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've never used a blower on a tractor, but with the walk behind snow blowers I've owned, they like to be fed lots of snow to get the distance. If there's not a lot of snow to blow, you'll get a lot of air into the impeller and it won't have the velocity to throw snow very far.
Like was said, wait until you have 6" of snow and see the difference. You can also try going faster to force more snow in, that might increase the throwing distance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the responses guys! I will try answer some of the questions.
-The blower is a 2 stage JD.
-This morning the snow was somewhat heavy. This afternoon I tried it again comparing my walk behind. The walk behind was throwing the snow at least twice as far, if not more.
-We have had a lot of blowing snow today. I found some fluffy stuff to blow and it did get thrown A LITTLE farther. However, it really wasnt enough to make me a happy customer.

·
Premium Member
13,006 Posts
-We have had a lot of blowing snow today. I found some fluffy stuff to blow and it did get thrown A LITTLE farther. However, it really wasnt enough to make me a happy customer.
How much gap do you have between the impeller blades and the sides of the compartment?

Does that model blower have a plastic or steel impeller?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Make sure it don't have a broken shear bolt for the auger. It won't feed if only 1/2 is working. The blower should have one on each side of the gearbox.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steel impeller. Checked both sheer bolts and they are good. I was able to find a 2 foot tall drift and it made short work of it.

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
Check these items in this order:

• Auger or fan shear bolts broken?
  • Engine RPM at maximum speed?
  • Drive belt tight, not slipping?
That should do it. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Really what Frank said is just about all you can do with it. You could fool around with changing out pulley sizes but I wouldn't screw around with that. I think you said it was used, one has to wonder why it was sold? It should throw snow as far as any walk behind blower, who the heck wants to have a blower that throws 5 feet or so!! I Have a 42" Berco 2 stage on my 18 horse Husky and it throws snow a lot further than my 47" JD but the JD throws snow at least 50 feet of not more depending on the markup of the snow.. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Steel impeller. Checked both sheer bolts and they are good. I was able to find a 2 foot tall drift and it made short work of it.
You said it made short work of it, did it throw further and are you okay now with it's performance?

Reactions: Levi and Gizmo2
1 - 20 of 22 Posts