Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As usual, I'm running behind for my winter prep for the tractor. We have had a very late dropping of the leaves and I've been busy with that and other things like pulling a walnut log out of the hollar' (see pic) As I get ready to do my winter prep, I'm wondering which tires might be best for snow duty? I have both R4 and Turf tires mounted on their own wheels and I've only used the R4 in the past. I use my 54" blade most of the time but with a good base on the driveway (over 1000 feet of gravel) and an unusually heavy snow (say six inches or better) I will use the 54" blower. I've got the ballast box loaded nice and heavy so there's plenty of grunt weight on the back and I do not use chains. Anyone have experience with both tires in the snow?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
From my experiences, on the sub compact size tractors R4s are probably better than R3s. BUT, 2320/2025 and up to old style 2032s, the R3s are far superior for snow. On my 2520 I have both R3s and R4s. The rear r4s are filled and they suck for snow. When I put my non filled R3s on, they will run circles around the R4s.

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
I had R3s (turf) on my old 2320. On the 1026R, I have R4s. I grooved my R4s last winter and what a difference it made! Now, my R4s have 500 hours on them and are 6 years old. If your R4s are newer, they should be good, mine got worse in the snow and ice as time wore on. However, I think the turfs were better overall winter tires. My surfaces are all asphalt and concrete, that can get slippery. We also have MFWD on these 1 series too.:good2:

Reactions: PJR832 and pcabe5

·
Registered
81 Posts
There are a few factors to consider. Your luck to have both sets mounted and RTR. If you are speaking of comparing the oem r3 deere supplies on the 1 series and up, then yes they are better loaded or unloaded when compared to the r4.
Surface area is closer to that of a snow tire with good siping.
R4s are blocky, which is great for soft surface grip, good cleanout but poor ground contouring on hard surfaces.

I plow with my 1 series with front bucket or rear 60” blower with no traction issues. My boss and father have larger tractors. Dad can only plow with his r4s using chains, and the boss has rear chains on his r3s, but no rear ballast box when using a loader mounted blade..... so some considerations would be weight / balance in your configuration....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have experience with both but on different tractors (of comparable size and weight) using a ballast box and FEL. Hands down, the turf tires are superior. That has been true for me in heavy snow and ice and on gravel, concrete and asphalt.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I run turfs....it’s all I have....never had any real traction issues w a 47” snowblower.
Rears are filled, mostly asphalt.

Reactions: cowboy bp

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would say turf all day long for snow on hard surface.

There are substantial discussions on this around the web. Prior to buying my 1025, I did a bunch of research and concluded turf out performs other tires for turf and snow. R4 is the jack of all trade tire but not great at any one thing. The ags with full lugs are the best for traction off road and worst on your turf. Slap chains on any of them and they will beat any non-chain tire but will kill your tar.

My dad has r4's on his kabota and struggles from time to time. It's a much bigger machine too. He had ags on his previous tractor and it also wasn't as good in snow (on asphalt).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Turf Tires

I will run Turf Tires all the time in Winter, I'm on flat ground no hills. I have a had NO issues pushing / Pulling or blowing SNOW. I have a set of tire chains for when the ICE hits other than that I don't need to put them on at all. I have bigger tractor at the farm with R4 style tires and need to put chains on those tractors all the time.

Last year we received 11 inches of snow fall in one day I had time to play and put on the front blade rear bad and snow thrower. My best set up for my situation is Rear blade with Front Snow thrower. I had no issues pushing / pulling or blowing that 11 inches of snow last year on that day.

Reactions: genesusie

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll give the R3 a try. I'm in the middle of my winter prep and hope to have my little Deere all decked out in it's winter clothes by tomorrow evening. Picked up some LED lights for the rear and hope to have them wired and functional too. We have a 2 to 3 inches predicted by morning and an additional lake effect snow during the day so by late in the day, I'll need to clear some snow. I bought a horse stall mat at TSC and plan to cut a scraper for the blade too. Argh, so much to do but at least it's warm and dry in the garage. :bigthumb:

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
I bought a horse stall mat at TSC and plan to cut a scraper for the blade too.
That’s the second best thing I did to my rear blade. The first was actually plunking down the money to buy the blade

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
UTBO, My experience was the same. Only time I had to use the four wheel assist was to back up from the steepest part of my cement pad. :bigthumb:
Around here when that snow melts and then freezes turf or R4 with 4wd will not go up that driveway without chains. If you are lucky enough to make it to the top man it will slide down that grade real quick. Just saying.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I finally got to blow snow with the HDAP tires I switched to and can say that they also seemed to work better than the R4s did. My driveway was pretty slick and I forgot to put it into MFWD but had no traction issues.

Reactions: cowboy bp

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
I have used turfs, R4s and HDAPs. HDAPs are the best tires in everything but mud and loose soil, where R4s are better.

When it comes to snow, HDAPs (and to a lesser extent, Turfs) are superior to R4s. Until the chains go on. Then they are the same, as far as I can tell. But since most people don't run chains on the front, it's better to have Turfs (or better yet...HDAPs) on the front. Easier and cheaper to change, too, especially if you keep them on separate rims.

I have a gravel driveway on a steep slope and live in the middle of nowhere. We get serious snow and sometimes I find myself off the gravel and on the grass. All tires without chains are inadequate. 4WD is a must.

·
Registered
968 Posts
My tasks are 99% of the time either mowing grass or blowing snow. Two wheel drive on the lawn. And 4 wheel drive snow blowing. The turf tires (no weight fill) seem to work excellent for both tasks. There are no chains nor weights of any kind in winter. The 4WD is the big game changer. Good that it is since my drive is black top and I’m avoiding the damage chains could cause. IMHO the snowblower weight on the front gives the front wheels more bite. The weight is negated when the “float” mode is used but it cleans down to almost bare pavement and traction is NOT an issue. Love this little tractor.

·
Registered
23,073 Posts
I have used turfs, R4s and HDAPs. HDAPs are the best tires in everything but mud and loose soil, where R4s are better.

When it comes to snow, HDAPs (and to a lesser extent, Turfs) are superior to R4s. Until the chains go on. Then they are the same, as far as I can tell. But since most people don't run chains on the front, it's better to have Turfs (or better yet...HDAPs) on the front. Easier and cheaper to change, too, especially if you keep them on separate rims.

I have a gravel driveway on a steep slope and live in the middle of nowhere. We get serious snow and sometimes I find myself off the gravel and on the grass. All tires without chains are inadequate. 4WD is a must.
Amen! I read so many posts of “I can plow/push/blow xx inches of snow and never need chains” - there must be an awful lot of perfectly flat striaght paved driveways out there.

Steep gravel/dirt driveways and lots of snow and ice are a part of living in the boonies. Chains go on before the first snow and stay on. I don’t know what the big deal is.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Amen! I read so many posts of “I can plow/push/blow xx inches of snow and never need chains” - there must be an awful lot of perfectly flat striaght paved driveways out there.

Steep gravel/dirt driveways and lots of snow and ice are a part of living in the boonies. Chains go on before the first snow and stay on. I don’t know what the big deal is.
Calm down guys, not every vehicle is created equal. Sometimes you have an exceptional one and sometimes you don't. Many different combinations of them out there. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts