Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I enjoy seat time, this next snow may not be worth clearing. Forecast is 2-4" tomorrow afternoon and overnight, with a chance of rain mixed in at the end. The next three days should have daytime highs in the 40s so it'll probably all be gone by midweek.

What's your threshold for just watching it fall while sipping cocoa and not lifting a shovel or firing up the tractor?

·
Super Moderator
6,999 Posts
The longer forecast usually makes that decision for me. If it is going to melt and go away, sure. Watch and let it be. But we seldom get that. If it's going to freeze and end up as ice I'll plow it just to get it out of the way.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
I clean the driveway regardless of depth, which up here is seldom less than 6". I do that because any snow not cleared will usually turn to ice. Yesterday the temps were above freezing, today it's 5 degrees and dropping.

Hey JimR;

GO PATS

·
Super Moderator
10,523 Posts
I've got no choice. My driveway is pretty steep and can be treacherous. The F350 4WD and the Lexus AWD will walk right up but the van? It's questionable. Worse than the snow though is if and when we have ice.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,891 Posts
~ 130 ft driveway here. 4" we will shovel the 90 ft of asphalt driveway, above that we plow. The ~40 ft of gravel driveway we leave the 4"

·
Premium Member
14,268 Posts
What's your threshold for just watching it fall while sipping cocoa and not lifting a shovel or firing up the tractor?
The longer forecast usually makes that decision for me. If it is going to melt and go away, sure. Watch and let it be. But we seldom get that. If it's going to freeze and end up as ice I'll plow it just to get it out of the way.
@JimR basically nailed it for me, except that we usually only get cold enough to get snow for a short period and it is usually warm enough within a couple days to melt.

Pretty unusual for us to get any amount worth messing with. Every once in a blue moon we'll get some that amounts to something that can be cleared.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
It depends on whether it's the beginning of the season or the end 😂

·
Premium Member
7,257 Posts
I'm not to far from Frank or JimR as the crow flies, but we are in a belt of snow and cold because of our altitude, almost 1000 feet, If we get snow, no matter how much and it is going to stay cold, I have to get rid of it or it will freeze and stay until we get a nice warmer day.. I have no choice no matter what we get. Driving over it just packs it into ice.
My drive is way to steep and long to not take care of business..

·
Registered
2015 2025r 62mmm h130 af10f plow forks 62 disc ripper and a woods m5 Dixie mower
1,233 Posts
I agree with your logic, if it’s under 4” and going to melt, let it melt.
I will just hand snowblow or shovel a walkway to the front door for deliveries to eliminate any chance of a possible ice slip and fall.
yeah that’s true I also like to have a inch or so of pack on the driveway so I don’t plow all the gravel out
It depends on whether it's the beginning of the season or the end 😂
True as well as in December I whould plow 4 inches just to have fun and seat time in late February I’m like no not going outside today

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
I shovel up to 2", over that old yeller plow truck is used
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire
. Unless it's a heavy snow, then old yellow gets used.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Zebrafive
1979 custom F250, nice👍👍. Had same 4 speed but was metal flake green.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Now that we have a place with a sloped concrete drive I have to plow and use salt a lot more than I did at previous houses.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
jevers478

What city did you plow for. I worked 16 years in the street dept for the City of Bay City, Mi . And I to plowed slush before. Then I had a chance to become a linemen for the City, did 15 years there they had there own electrical dept. Love both dept.

·
Registered
2015 2025r 62mmm h130 af10f plow forks 62 disc ripper and a woods m5 Dixie mower
1,233 Posts
We have a saying at the city I work for. " Hurry up and plow it before it melts! " I have been out snowblowing slush in April!
For a city I makes sense to plow a inch of snow but for most people on a drive way why especially if it’s going to get warm enough to melt in a day

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.