Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering adding the 54" front plow on my X738 in addition to the snowblower I already have. Based on what I've seen from videos of owners using the blade, it's a pretty impressive package and my thinking is the blade could probably handle 70% of snow removal duties and do a better job than any snowblower with the slushy/wet stuff. The snowblower would only come in when we get 12"+ or we get further into winter and I end up with no more room to push the snow to the sides. The other reason with going with a blade is we live on a very windy hill and getting 1 hour snow facials is getting old. (no, I don't want a cab). Anyone have both implements and switch between them or is this just a crazy idea?

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
Lots of folks switch between a blade and blower depending on conditions. I have a 2720 and mount a blade on the rear and blower on the front that way I simply go forward or backwards depending on snow conditions. Sometimes I plow small snow falls into wind rows and then blow it away. Some folks do it the other way, blower on the rear and blade on the front.

·
Registered
11,012 Posts
If you have 4-6” of snow the blade has a great fun factor and it’s fast and efficient. The only shortcoming is your driveway shrinks if snow sticks around for the winter. If your in the zone where it always melts there’s no negative.

The blade is just plain fun, who am I kidding. It’s all I had on my 445 until we got 30” of snow and 18” in a week, driveway shrinkage forced me to buy a blower.

Square the blade and lift it as you hit the bank for maximum stacking. 6 suitcase weights on a 3-point bracket will let you use the 3-point as a wheelie bar on the pile.

·
Super Moderator
5,523 Posts
Heh. I have a 2023R (which is the same machine jgayman has above with different decals!) with the Deere 54" snow blade on the front and a 3pt blower on the back. The blade gets 90% of the workload. The blower only gets used in big storms. The blade is much faster.

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
Lots of folks switch between a blade and blower depending on conditions. I have a 2720 and mount a blade on the rear and blower on the front that way I simply go forward or backwards depending on snow conditions. Sometimes I plow small snow falls into wind rows and then blow it away. Some folks do it the other way, blower on the rear and blade on the front.
I honestly don't think a better combination exists.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have both for my tractor, originally both were on the 445 and I got tired of changing between the blade and blower and finally just left the blower on until spring when I knew I would not get dumped on again. When I got the 1026R I mounted the blade on the 445 and the blower on the 1026R and found out I seldom used the blade, I didn't even mount it to the 445 this year, I am not in that big a hurry and the cab is nice and warm on the 1026R and the open station on the 445 is so cold.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts

This is the blade and blower setup that works for me.

Reactions: Dr Maphesto

·
Registered
11,012 Posts
I haven’t plowed with a scut, but I have with an mcut, it does not have the same fun factor as a GT.

If you just want seat time without thinking much about what your doing a blower is the way to go. I enjoy getting squirrely and still getting it done vs doing time. I think the first pass through 30” was the most fun I have had running one, it curved right and I rode it out with the curl of snow off the blade about a foot higher then the hood. I didn’t slam it, I pulled up to the garage door and started pushing from near a stop.

If you put 3 minutes into installing a few wire ties and have a stand for the blade it’s a 3 minute change, but it does involve cold hydraulic fluid if you don’t have a heated garage.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have both. The biggest issue for changing between them used to be the remote spout adjustment control on the blower. It requires two wrenches to remove. Once I converted to a linear actuator, removing the blower became cake. The next [slightly] obnoxious thing is if you have the hydraulic angle cylinder. It’s just extra lines to connnect / remove. Also, don’t forget to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS disconnect the angle cylinder and replace the angle pin before connecting the blower. I’d hate to see the damage that a 2000 rpm PTO shaft would do if it snapped and broke.

·
Registered
11,012 Posts
I have both. The biggest issue for changing between them used to be the remote spout adjustment control on the blower. It requires two wrenches to remove. Once I converted to a linear actuator, removing the blower became cake. The next [slightly] obnoxious thing is if you have the hydraulic angle cylinder. It’s just extra lines to connnect / remove. Also, don’t forget to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS disconnect the angle cylinder and replace the angle pin before connecting the blower. I’d hate to see the damage that a 2000 rpm PTO shaft would do if it snapped and broke.
I put a generic trailer wire plug on my actuators. The switch and 1/2 the plug stays on the tractor.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I have both a blade and snowblower for the front. There are some snows where each is needed for part of the job, so I made it very easy to switch between them. Each has their own DOLLY, but you wouldn't need that if you have plenty of storage space. I also reconfigured the hydraulics on the front end to make switching much easier. Please see this POST.

Keane

Reactions: rydplrs

·
Premium Member
10,627 Posts
I have both and personally prefer plowing, but having a blower can be handy. It's easy to switch between the two. Just make a cart for the blower to sit in and another for the blade to stand on so you can avoid picking it up and moving it by hand. DEFINITELY get the rubber plow edge and the plow edge markers are handy for plowing as well. Getting plowed is fun but there are occasions where being blown just fits the bill..............for the driveway..

Something for everyone.................

Reactions: rydplrs

·
Registered
11,012 Posts
I put a generic trailer wire plug on my actuators. The switch and 1/2 the plug stays on the tractor

You also MUST disconnect the angle cylinder and connect the chute rotation, but a broom is capable of angling with the same front shaft as a blower, I don’t believe the pin is as critical as forums tell you, I’ve never seen a broken driveshaft on a blower, only brooms at full tilt.

That said my 445 hitch did not I have a factory pin. I just dropped a 3/4 bolt in when using the blower.

This is one of the things to use zip ties for, so the angle hoses can be capped when using the blower and just hang out outside the factory hose guides that are otherwise occupied

·
Registered
11,012 Posts
I have both and personally prefer plowing, but having a blower can be handy. It's easy to switch between the two. Just make a cart for the blower to sit in and another for the blade to stand on so you can avoid picking it up and moving it by hand. DEFINITELY get the rubber plow edge and the plow edge markers are handy for plowing as well. Getting plowed is fun but there are occasions where being blown just fits the bill..............for the driveway..

Something for everyone.................
I think that’s what she was supposed to say.

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Premium Member
10,627 Posts
Will the Sabre sno blade fit on the regular John deete 324
Is that a brand of a blade or are you talking about it being off a Sabre model mower?

John Deere sold the Sabre brand lawn mowers from 1996 to 2002 and there were a bunch of models. I know they offered a Snow blower for some of their models, but honestly, I just don't see the Sabre equipment very often and I can't recall ever seeing a blade or blower..

If you have a particular blade which you can post a photo of the blade and the bar code tag from it, then we can give you a better answer.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
OP do yourself a favor and don't buy the 54" JD blade. Pickup the CTA 66" blade. You'll be much more pleased with the quality.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I owned an X738 with the 54" blade and hydraulics. I used that blade for moving loam and for a season of moving snow. All of the storms that year were 10" to 20", and the blade moved every bit of it with no problems at all. And losing space is more of an urban legend that fact. The snow is easily pushed back buy lifting the blade. Doing this I never once lost any space to the snow.

I'll point out that most people using a snow blower in this part of the world walk behind there snow blowers, and ride behind their plows. Very few people put snow blowers on their tractors in the Northeast.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts