Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting my 59 inch front mount snowblower cleaned up and ready for storage and noticed when turning the chute to the left the tractor labors a bit and it goes significantly slower than when turning to the right. Noticed a lot of oil and dirt on the cylinder but cant see any leaks after cleaning it up. Moves freely by hand so it's got to be hydraulics, anyone have any ideas ?

·
Administrator
20,983 Posts
No worries my friend. :hi: It’s what we do, we got your back. :good2:

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
I think this is typical to some extent but others can wieght in. The one on my 400 also turns slower one direction than the other and it labors a little bit. This winter I redid the blower and if yours has the cable and pulley set up the bushings for the cable probably could be getting tight or dry but it really was not much different after I did it. If yours is jerking as it turns then that is typically what it is.

The best I can figure for the speed change is you have a hydraulic cylinder with a rod in it. On the end that the rod doesn’t come out you have a big bore pushing against the back of the piston. If you add 2cc’s of oil it will move a certain distance. At the end with the rod coming out of it if you had 2cc of oil it will go further because the volume of oil that it can hold on that end is less because of the rod. Since these tractors have limited flow we will say flow remains constant or the max the tractor can do. Since flow is the same moving further on the rod end also means faster.

On most larger tractors this is not an issue because they have plenty of flow. One thing though that remains constant is the lbs of push of a cylinder is always more because there is more square inches of surface to push against on the piston end without the rod.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Try reversing the cylinder lines at the couplers and see if the problem remains with the same direction or reverses as well. This will tell us which side of the couplers the problem is on. Next, you may want to try reversing the lines at the cylinder itself and see if the problem remains with the same direction or reverses. This will tell us if the problem is within the line couplers or the cylinder.

·
Administrator
18,541 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow thanks for all the quick responses everyone! I'm going to try everyone's suggestions as soon as I get home. The model is a 13' 3520. The only reason I'm thinking it's not the regen is because it just started doing it a couple weeks ago for the first time. Its always been about the same speed in both directions until then. I will lube the pulleys and try switching lines around in a couple hours. Thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
Wow thanks for all the quick responses everyone! I'm going to try everyone's suggestions as soon as I get home. The model is a 13' 3520. The only reason I'm thinking it's not the regen is because it just started doing it a couple weeks ago for the first time. Its always been about the same speed in both directions until then. I will lube the pulleys and try switching lines around in a couple hours. Thanks again!!
Definitely try swapping the hoses first. With the power that hydraulic cylinder has a few sticky pulleys isn't going to slow it down. Any binding in the cable/pully system will likely result in something bent or broken.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would recommend easy first. Remove the black plastic cover over the pulleys, and make sure that the cable hasn't jumped a pulley. If it has, it's a fairly simple fix to loosen the cable and reroute the cables.

Dave

Reactions: wildbranch2007
1 - 9 of 9 Posts